Racing against AI ​​is still far from perfect

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DriverN1, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Diablo

Diablo Registered

There is a logical problem here. When is a mistake the AI makes due to lack of "programmed intelligence"? If you have a program module that decides this, and it decides right all the time, which is clearly what you expect, then that program module could just as well be used to avoid such AI mistakes in the first place. Such program module will very likely never exist, so it is either disable collisions with the A.I. completely or try to make the AI better with every iteration.
    I am certainly in favour of the latter. First because an option like the first already exists, Invulnerabilty. Second, rFactor 2 is a racing simulator and accident avoidance is a skill that can be acquired (Alonso anyone?), but to do so, there has to be a risk for yourself. I certainly wouldn´t want to drive against a driver online who learned his skills from that "perfect" AI or was invulnerable or whatever, when it got too close for comfort.
    And seeing you consider the AI at fault in that Limerock video, I would not want to race against you in particular. There is a point when you have to give up the corner, you were never going to get out of that one ahead, so you should have backed off and lost less time or in this case stayed in the race. And you were in the blind spot there, so there is a real chance that in real life the driver in front would have acted just like the AI did. It takes two to have an accident like that! Also, you did run into his line, since the racing line is clearly painted in rubber on the road. And look at 0:16 when you make contact, there is still a Skip Barber width of room to your right. Consider yourself lucky to have that much, I tend to leave room for a car minus the mirrors. ;)
    That´s one way to look at it. But you ceratinly had every chance to avoid that one.

The other videos, well, those were truly stupid AI mistakes and should be fixed appropriately and not worked around.

Best regards,
    Marcus

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The AI in rF2 is a hell of a lot better than rF1- it's better than many other sims. I just through out a couple things that hold it back from being the best. Also- does the AI play by the same rules we do? I've been hit by AI a couple times (or vice versa) and the AI almost never crashes but I always do with the slightest contact. It just seems weird.

3. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

That is an old one. Been that way since F1 2000, that I know of. I've never figured out how their energy could send me flying off track while they appear to have hit nothing more than somebodys hot dog wrapper.
    Maybe it is just the computers instant reaction and knowing exactly what corrections to use to keep from going off. While my (our) reactions are slower and maybe I (we) are over correcting or under correcting after contact?
    I don't know really, I just know hitting or being hit by the AI will nearly always get grass on my tires.

4. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I'm in aqreement with John,in the 1st video your at fault.
    The AI has the racing line and you don't give them room.

5. Niko Leinonen

Niko Leinonen Registered

I don't agree very much with drivern1 but AI could drive a bit wider line, kind of make more mistakes in lines. The black line is too narrow when AI drivers drive hundreds of laps on the track. When u drive online races with real guys black line is a lot wider.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I get hit from behind by the AI quite a lot. I'd like to see them follow further back and brake earlier. That alone is making racing AI very hard.

7. domhnall

domhnall Registered

You could try editing the following line in your player file;

AI Brake_Power Usage="0.95000"

Reducing this will cause the ai to brake earlier.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I get bored of repeating myself but for Guys benefit:

What Mod?
    What Track?
    Is it at a specific corner?
    What Aggression Settings?
    What Strength Settings?
    Is the PLR altered or default values?
    If altered which values are those?
    Can you post a Video?....and this is the big one, the number of times I've seen people moaning about the AI when in actual fact its their driving that causes the issues!! (not saying that is your fault Guy, but video evidence helps a great deal).

Incidentally I've just done a 45minute race at Essington with the 370z, apart from the usual paint swapping on the first couple of laps (which lo and behold happens in real life...) I rarely got hit from behind, when I did it was so minor I read it as a "oh he wants me to hurry up does he!?" kinda thing....again this happens in real life!