racegroove i am following tutorial

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Feb 19, 2012.

1. les

les Registered

ok i have my materials setup for real road working on racegoove by free's tutorial i get to the part where the groove changes to follow the fast line. but this is also changing the main texture too i map the racegroove to channel 3 im going to have to experiment but maybe one of you guys know

what im doing wrong

2. ethone

ethone Registered

I'm not really clear on where your issue is. I presume you are doing the spline mapping? Just tell it to work on Map Channel 3 and it will not affect the main texture.

3. les

les Registered

thats the thing it is affecting the other channels too this is where i am confused it affects all the channels. mybe the question is dont collapse the modifier do it once i collapse the modifier it reverts everything back to the way it was

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Usually you will only have one texture stage visible to you. What appears to be "reverting everything back" might just be 3ds max switching back to displaying map channel 1 and the base texture.
    It might not revert back to the proper map channel 1 mapping coordinates until you restart 3ds max, as I just found out, but it won't overwrite the those coordinates.

5. les

les Registered

well i restarted my computer and 3ds max loaded the track back up and there is was plain as day the track is messed up when i do channel 3 the other textures get messed up
    well i got real road completely working here is a pic of a track done with real road View attachment 1259 View attachment 1260 View attachment 1261

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  6. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I think 3dsmax has some bugs with mapping channels. I've run similar problems long time ago with my rF1 track scenes.

I *think* UWV unwrap with spline mapping feature causes this. Sometimes when you map texture channel with spline, max can screw up previously done mapping coords (on other channels). My workaround is save scene after finishing each channel mapping, before starting next... I haven't bother to investigate this too deeply, but with my workflow saving scene has reduced problem to nonexistent...

7. les

les Registered

when i went and changed it to channel 3 i did the racegroove with the spline mapping tutoiral once i had that finished i went back and checked channel 1 the main texture sure enough it showed it was messed up it is a bug, i went to the material editor under my main texture and changed the channel to channel 2 and then changed it back to channel 1 and bing the texture changed and looked right. i then went back to the racegroove texture in the material editor and made that show up on the track, it looked like i didnt do the racegroove again so i changed the channel again to channel 2 and then channeld it back and bang it showed the racegroove as done. so its a bug im sure

8. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

3dsmax viewport do not always show mapping correctly on all channels, especially when selecting one channel after another in material editor. Exporting scene to sim and check it there gives you correct appearance. Do not blindly trust viewport appearance... ;)

9. les

les Registered

thanks for the info

10. freew67

freew67 Registered

After you map the racegroove do you right click- collapse to on the uvw unwrap before you switch channels to look at the other tex?

11. les

les Registered

yep i did

12. Baule

Baule Registered

spline mapping only worked correctly for me, if the track was one single object and all segments welded. Maybe that's your problem?

13. les

les Registered

i have the racegroove working for the track it does have issues with the racegroove being wrong a bit and i know what the problem is that i have to fix baule you are correct i have to go weld the track together make it one piece to make the groove correct thats what i am working on now