Race Track Builder on Steam Greenlight!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Woodee, May 23, 2015.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Google Earth elevation data is not accurate enough for the precision expected in a pro SIM modelled track.

It is a very good starting point, however which can be perfectioned using onboard videos and comparing Real vs Sim.

For the surroundings it is quite nice. Especially if no protruding elements like trees or buildings are present.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Got elevation data to work by creating a new google API project. But how long does the project last for? It seemed to work while I had race track builder open. But when I closed down and reopened RTB I seemed to loose some data and can't re apply the data. I check the project in google and it says its finished. So I guess I need to make a new project again and apply the new code in RTB to get it working again.

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Also, don't know if RTB is importing it, but there are larger textures to be downloaded in Google Earth Pro, Which is free.

View attachment 17671

4. jay_p_666

jay_p_666 Registered

As a donator and long term supporter of Bobs Track Builder for years (I'm the maker of one of the biggest xpack for BTB, the Great Britain Xpack), I will never ever again buy anything from this guy and won't recommend Race Track Builder in it's current state. First, price tag is way too high for the amount of features you get...an unfinished prototype which doesn't work most of the time, with limited features that doesn't work as they should (especially track merging which is just a cheap trick). Software support is the worst I've ever seen, I've gently asked for help and got ignored before getting permanently banned... that's not how you treat your average customers. It was the same with BTB (which got splitted into two different versions exporting to different games so you have to buy it twice)...Brendon disappeared for years without updating it as it seems this guy is more concerned about climate change and your cash than anything else. If you want to be treated as a cash pig go for it, but don't expect any gratitude or support in return for your hard earned money!!

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

That's not a good review... I remember he used to update a lot at first on Bob's and then trailed off, as I would expect anyone to do. You can't expect this small program to take over his life? I mean how many people do you think are buying this thing? 40? 100?

As far as expensive? $60 is pretty cheap as software goes. Especially heavy 3D/texture editing... I mean, you realize he's kinda making 3D magic happen there? You'd be lucky to find these tools in the most expensive programs. I have 3D artists that want this just for rendering use.

The two programs for BTB, I thought that was about direct conversions? He didn't want to be a model stealing tool? I could be wrong... Don't remember. Sorry you had such a hard time of it. So you bought the second one? Did you return the program? or will you continue to use?

6. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

Steam reviews

As a donator and long term supporter of Bobs Track Builder for years (I'm the maker of one of the biggest xpack for BTB, the Great Britain Xpack), I will never ever again buy anything from this guy and can't recommend Race Track Builder in it's current state. First, price tag is way too high for the amount of features you get...an unfinished prototype which doesn't work most of the time, with limited features that doesn't work as they should (especially track merging which is just a cheap trick). Software support is the worst I've ever seen, I've gently asked for help and got ignored before getting permanently banned... that's not how you treat your average customers. It was the same with BTB (which got splitted into two different versions exporting to different games so you have to buy it twice)...Brendon disappeared for years without updating it as it seems this guy is more concerned about climate change and your cash than anything else. If you want to be treated as a cash pig go for it, but don't expect any gratitude or support in return for your hard earned money!!

Here's a longer review: The goal here is not to bash this software nor it's author but to denounce the abusive, disrespectful and disheartening behavior from the author I've run into while trying to gently ask for help. Take this as a warn as I don't want my frustrating experience to happen to other people: Posting a review on forum resulted in false accusations, like spamming his mailbox...I don't know why, probably to save his person, then he even gone as far as saying he would do a restraining order against me.

--------Way overpriced and no customer support at all--------

for the record, this developer disappeared for four years when he was developing BTB, without giving any news, leaving a big hole in the community. He ignore messages most of the time and rarely respond to any concern new buyers have. Posting suggestion or asking if a feature is planned will result in a permanent ban from the official support page without any further response. I've asked other BTB users and the same thing happened to them, there is rarely customer response. Official Bobs Track Builder website is a great way to see the slow pace at how BTB evolved throughout the years, I suggest to visit this website before buying. Although it's more accurate with big triple A titles, currently the peak sales on Steam shows 15 persons have buy RTB. There's only one guy working on this software which mean If sales doesn't meet his expectation, there's no guarantee this project will evolve as it's exactly what happened with BTB blackout. I've bought RTB and I can assure, for the price, the amount of features you get is minimal. Currently the software is priced 66,49$ CAD but is probably no more worth than 19,99$ at best and I'm generous... it would be more appropriate and fair with a starting price of 14,99$ that would raise once features are added.

-----------Atrocious performance and plenty of bugs-----------

First, webpage says the software take benefit of multiple core cpus, but if it's true, that's badly optimized. I have a high end Core i7 just formatted with latest OS updates, latest drivers, DirectX and .NET Framework version. It freeze for at least five seconds every time I try to raise or lower terrain or do any modification and this doesn't occure in realtime, there's a 3 seconds lag and then you see the result. If you increase terrain polycount, you can't erase these smaller polys anymore. Also, the software freeze and crash to desktop from time to time.

-----------------------Lack of features-------------------------

It looks great on video...but not so well once you get your hands on it. There is almost no options in menu. You can't export to any game and there is lot of shortcomings. First, terrain doesn't follow when elevating track, that doesn't make sense how much individual editing you have to do everywhere in order to get a nice flow with the track. I honestly don't think the benefit of using this method over generating terrain once track is made (which this software is badly lacking) is worth the extra hassle if you don't plan to use Google Earth. Even then, it's a mess to work with. But worst of all, there is no bezier controls on track nodes meaning there's not much you can do aside from moving them around... you can't edit the curvature of them which make the whole building track process pointless. How this program have been released on day one without such a significant and fundamental feature as this is beyond me. Merging tracks rely around a cheap trick...there is no algorithm calculating vertices that modify in real time the welding while manipulating tracks. Instead, you must align tracks and the program cheaply hide them underneath the track which doesn't look great, and you must make several adjustment in 3dsmax to make it looks right. They're not really welded together. Same thing when you try to connect two roads which doesn't have the same poly counts, the vertices of the tracks doesn't attach. The lack of a tool similar to UVW Unwrap for editing textures of selected polys means you need to rely on other softwares like 3dsmax, Blender and Maya. You can't add extra vertices on track mesh to add details like small bumps and holes and do proper larger width sections on the road.

I can't deny the software is promising and maybe it will be worth later, but for now, I highly suggest to pass on it as it is way too much overpriced for the low number of features you get (half of which have their shortcomings), it's badly optimized, there's plenty of bugs with no support and it's the most disgusting and aggressive way to deal with customers I've ever seen in my whole life!

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Those all look oddly similar in form and format.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Some also didn't know the tutorial videos exist, shame.

That top review has been copied and pasted EVERYWHERE. I wouldn't be surprised if every sim forum has it whenever a thread mentions RTB.

I would love bezier controls on nodes though.

9. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have owned BTB for over 5 years, in that time I only ever needed to contact admin once or twice. When I have had to I have had responses and the problems fixed.

I can say I was slightly disappointed with the lack of features on first release. But if updates keep coming (and being on steam I'm sure he is bound to deliver what he says he will) then the product will be a bargain. You pay thousands for 3Dmax and it can't do what this does. No other piece of software can do to terrain and road (atm) what this does as quickly and easily. This WILL help spark the interest in new modders and hopefully new modders for rF2.

I dont see this as tool to build your complete track (but the product will let you in the end). BUT a tool to speed up the process of terrain and track sculpting. With the added bonus of putting in some objects and dummy objects to help the sculpting and help with making paths in another 3d program.

It would be nice but we as modders have to think outside the square just as the author has. I have found it's all in the positioning of the nodes. Avoid having one in the middle of a turn, have them at the start and end of the turn. Also remember what you see in RTB the track is one material. You need to have grass terrain also coming from the outer sides of the track. So the terrain on the track edge is spline mapped to the track shape

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I hope so!

11. Butters

Butters Registered

Does it allow for XPacks like the old BTB?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Yes it does.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

13. Emery

Emery Registered

I watched another video and yes, you can adjust camber by a number. Confirmed via Facebook that objects are coming soon, highest priority on feature list. Once object support is in place, I'll probably be a buyer.

14. Butters

Butters Registered

Is it even set up for rfactor 2? Just had a look at fb page and could only see updates/posts regarding AC

15. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

+100
    Sadly to say, but I must totally agree with you.
    I was beta tester for months, also when changed OS time ago and Brendon needed some help, so I shared several emails and tests with him, but now, apart from the dubious behavior and more or less educated, the fact is: can we we believe that the product will be developed to be worth the money that Brendon asks, or he will disappear again?

16. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I follow the facebook page and he seems to be updating every few days. But as I said before, how long is he obligated to continue? Of course up to the point of a fully functioning product that delivers what it claims, but after that?

17. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Ummm... How is that? I can buy lots of software that's not supported anymore. Of course he shouldn't say there is support if there's not, but... However, I know of no law that stipulates you have to continue supporting software after any certain point. I can buy rF1... Are they going to update it? I don't think so...

Again I'll say this is a one man force here. How many of these has he sold? 60? 100? It's not like this is going to pay his rent for very long.

18. Butters

Butters Registered

I would buy it once set up for rf2 shaders if it's functionality matches BTB just because it's quick to get a good base to then work on from.

19. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Yeah... I'm waiting to make sure it's useable.

20. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

So, is it worth buying yet? Has it had updates etc?