Race Events won't work

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by adrianchu9, Dec 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Hello. I recently bought the game and set up a dedicated server. All works perfectly except the race events. I followed the guide and created my own race events through MAS utility without trouble. However, when I select my race event in the server, the cars and locations are not the correct ones. It is like the server ignores my race event and uses another one in the folder. Could be related with MyDocuments folder in C: and the game on a different drive? Thank you and sorry for my english.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Are you sure you're selecting the right one, and that you have the content installed? You shouldn't be able to join a server without the right stuff, but if you were able to join, maybe that happened.

3. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Thank you for your reply. Yes I do, I have the content installed from the workshop and works in single player. When I select my race event, uses another one not created by me (I have some race events downloaded from servers I joined before). It is strange because if I explore the mods with the mod manager, my mod appears installed with its locations and cars.

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Do you have more than 1 installation of rfactor?
    Which dedicated server do you use, the one that you can create from the launcher or the steam-dedicated?

5. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Just the one which comes with the launcher. In first place I tried with this one, then I tried with the steam-dedicated with no results. So, I removed the steam-dedicated and there is only one server again.

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Can you please upload the race events rfmod file, that we can test it?

7. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Thank you for your help. I attached a race event to test with atlanta tracks and the karts.

Attached Files:

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I have tested your race event and it didn't work here.
    Then i have created a new one with the same components and that did work.
    I attach the one that i have created.
    Please try if that works for you.

EDIT: i have seen that the mas file of your race event contains no rfm file.
    That is the reason why it don't works.
    You must have made something wrong during the creation process.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  9. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Thank you for finding out what the problem is. The thing is that I follow the tutorial step by step, leaving by default almost everything. There is some problem with my MAS utility or something, maybe related with different drives. I tried changing the directories but didn't help. I attach two pictures of the creation process, maybe you can find some errors.
    PS: Your race event works like a charm.

Attached Files:

• Test.zip
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

The screenshots look ok.
    I guess you didn't rename the rfm file by hand, during the rfmod creation process, right?

Maybe it's a windows user account rights problem.
    Try the following.
    Start the mas tool, click the button 'create the package file' and in the new window, click 'create new mod package'.
    If the next window opens, where you can give the mod a name, open the folder 'C:\Users\Adrián\Appdata\Roaming\~MASTEMP' and check if the file 'default.rfm' is in that folder.
    If it is there, proceed with the creation of the race event rfmod.

If it is not there, open the folder 'E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Support\Tools'.
    Here you'll find the mas2.exe (mas tool).
    Rightclick on it and select 'run as administrator'.
    Then start the same procedure as i have written above and check again if the default.rfm is there.

Normally one of the both ways should work, to create the default rfm file.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  11. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

I really appreciate your help but unfortunately, I tried that things before. The default.rfm is in the right place and I am running the mas tool as administrator. I really don't understand where is the problem. As you say, probably something related to my user account. Maybe my name with special characters or MyDocuments folder... No idea :/

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

That's really strange.
    Maybe this helps:
    Create a new folder on the desktop and start the creation process.
    If the window opens, where you can give the mod a name, go to the ~MASTEMP folder and copy the default.rfm and the both icon files into the new folder on the desktop.
    Now check the box 'customize', in the 'create package' window and set all 4 links to the files in the new desktop-folder.
    If it is done , proceed as normal.

13. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Didn't work either...Even changing the folders, the problem persists. This is really absurd. Thank you anyway :(

14. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Thank you for your interest. I have three drives, the C: is a SSD only for the system. I installed the game on E: like the other stuff

15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

The installation-place shouldn't be the reason, i have my steam installation on F:\Steam.... and the creation of rfmods and rfcmps works without any problems.
    The strange thing is, that in the from adrianchu9 created race event rfmod, the icon files are packed into the mas, but the rfm not, what is really strange in my opinion.

16. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

Could it be that my default.rfm is corrupted? I don't know...

17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Can you please upload the default.rfm, directly the one that was created before you select the track and car.

And can you try the following.
    Start the creation process, give the mod the name xxxxxx, select a track, select a car and in the 3rd window, select nothing and click 'done'.
    Now open the xxxxxx.mas file and check if the rfm is included.

18. adrianchu9

adrianchu9 Registered

I attach the default.rfm that is in the ~MASTEMP (I don't know if you are referring to this one). I tried opening the mod.mas and the default.rfm is inside. So, the default file must be lost in the packaging progress I guess.

Attached Files:

19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Your default.rfm is exactly the same as mine, so i guess it's not corrupted.

My last try and sorry that i ask again.
    Do you run the mas2.exe as adiministrator exactly how i did discribe it in post #10?

I ask, because in windows, your user account is shown as an 'Administrator'-Account.
    But that is a lie. You don't have all administrator-rights with it.

So, if you don't start the mas2.exe with the mouse-rightclick and selecting 'run as administrator' in the dropdown, please do it that way.

If you already do it that way, i give up. That was my last idea currently. :(

20. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I am quite sure think your problem resides in the tilde of Adrián. Something similar happened in the past.