Released Race Against Content You Don't Own

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 15, 2023.

1. A rewrite of that "feature" in the future would be great.

Just to give info on why the serverkey IMHO is needed: if you download a DLC car pack or group (let's say the GTE ones) you will notice that you can install version 3.10 with mod manager only if you do not have any (valid) serverkey installed, whereas update version 3.11 is not available until correct unlock key ist installed.

You would need to unpack rfcmps to work around that.

2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, i have a question.
    Will the procedure to create ServerUnlock.bin become useless after the final update ?
    SInce there is no control on content "use", why use the lock system on a pure dedicated ?
    This lock is very annoying to manage, it would be great if it disappears totally.

Edit : Sorry if question has already been asked.
    There was some info on another thread, but the new lock management was not clearly described.
    (Only not machine dependant anymore if i remember well ...)

3. elgagon

elgagon Registered

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....inst-content-you-dont-own.73733/#post-1121685

DanRZ likes this.
  4. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Thanks. Looks like we will have to wait ... Not a big issue ... ;)

Deleted member 58016 and elgagon like this.
  5. Kincade

Kincade Registered

So I can say it works. Because of this news I gave rfactor another chance.
    Also because of the 24h Le Mans race. That looked really good.
    I've owned it from day one, but it never won me over. The last attempt was 2 years ago.

Now I'm completely in love with rfactor and I'm constantly buying new content. It's definitely my main sim now and my iracing subscription has already expired... That's the way it works. And in the end i will probably own almost every car and every track, because they are the best out there. :D

But especially with all the Multiclas races, it helps immensely if you can take part even if you don't own a car

r00b Driver and pkelly like this.
  6. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

We are running our Dedi server on a rented Windows 2016 server which does not have a graphics system capable of running our Steam Client RF2 with the new UI. Since it was introduced we have had to keep it at the Deprecated Old-UI setting to be able to get the old RF2 Launcher to start and DL workshop content, purchase/install DLC, copy the content to our Dedi etc.
    Due to this we are not able to install unowned content as it is only available in the current UI via the Content Manager tab, or is there another way to get this content for our Dedi?

7. McFlex

McFlex Registered

You never needed to do it like this o_O

You should definitly try this one: https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/setting-up-a-dedicated-server

8. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

Not sure what you mean? We have been running our Dedi servers for several years and set them up in accordance with the link you posted. We can download & install workshop content no problem and copy purchased content and use the serverunlock.bin file process to make it available in the Dedi.
    Our Steam/RF2 account is installed on the same Win 2016 Server which will not run RF2 in client mode with the new GUI introduced a long time ago, because it only has a 128mb GFX system. WIN 2016 servers are generally not used for running graphical client type applications but more as data servers for applications i.e. like RF2 Dedi.

The only way I know of at the moment to get unowned DLC, not workshop content, is via the current RF2 GUI which as stated will not run on our WIN 2016 server. The only way possible would be to know what the SteamID is for any unowned content required, but I don't know where to get that? Or maybe there is another process for getting it? RF2 servers running on a WIN10/11 PC would not of course have this problem as they are likely to have a powerful GFX card installed.

9. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

https://steamdb.info/app/365960/items/# (look for the line "workshopid")

Here is all Item ID's for rF2. Use the SteamCMD for downloading packages from the guide provided by McFlex.

10. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Registered

I have used this resource before but when I was looking for the Ligier JSP2 it didn't show. Checking again I needed to sign-in to get full access. Newb error so thanks for helping me clear that up :)

Myrvold likes this.
  11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

This is just fantastic! I don't own Longbeach (yet). However I can D/L & install it, and then join servers running the track and go and specate any car I like driving there, in any view, from cockpit to Camera! I'll buy Lonbeach V soon of course, but this is great for players wanting to get a good feel and preview for tracks and cars they dont own. Just did'nt realise till now you can actually join servers running tracks you dont own. Can race there but can watch. Awsome!

12. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Really, even with track you don't own... wasn't aware... thanks for the tip... I'll definitely try that.

13. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Sit in the stands in VR and watch the racing anyone?

Paul McC likes this.
  14. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Thank you very much, but I have bought already all the content, the only car I don't have is the T4 esport kartsim, but I don't miss it.
    Maybe can you do a special price for each new DLC for those who have bought everything ?
    The offers are always for those who have nothing...

Hazi likes this.
  15. cossifreak88

cossifreak88 Registered

Today i tried my first dedicated server for rf2.

I followed the instruction but i can not find the serverkey.bin

Did i make something wrong?

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you were following the existing guides they're out of date. You need to grab the ServerUnlock.bin file from your client Userdata folder, and put it in the server. The server doesn't generate keys anymore.

17. cossifreak88

cossifreak88 Registered

Thanks Mate :) it worked!
    It's quite a fiddly job until everything is in place.

The next step is the weather plugin, which I don't quite understand yet.

18. Myrvold

Myrvold Registered

Which weather plugin?