Race against Ai

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ludo21, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

Good morning all.
    S397, please. Think of those who enjoy racing against AIs. Do something for the ai to improve, and we are still waiting for the new pace car too.
    Long races against AI are also impossible. In the replays, if I resume a race of more than 6 hours, and I want to come out again, the game crashes. It spoils my fun. A long time ago, in the days of GTR2, 24h races against AI were possible.....
    Thank you for listening, but congratulations anyway for this great racing simulation, which I have been practicing since RF 1.
    Good Sunday

Florian Dubiel, PirroC, sg333 and 7 others like this.
  2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yesterday I did a 20laps short race with the
    Ligier P20 against 18 AI
    Stremgh 109%
    Aggressione 40%
    I started the race in Pole Position and I had the AI behind me for 20 laps and they didn’t even try to overtake me even when my tires were almost finished.
    In this state of AI I prefer doing hot laps rather than race against useless AI.

3. 3377

3377 Registered

Bump the AI agressiveness way up. I would say at least 70%. It also depending on the track you are using. AI will have an easier time overtaking at monza than in the hungaroring

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  4. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

@GTClub_wajdi Think we need a track combo... I find it quite satisfying for most of the time racing against AI. But Im probably not at your level. Ligier P320 at Road America with AI at 100%. Paul Ricard 0.90 with AI at 102% works also great. I have great fun and challenging duels.
    AI aggression 65% and AI limiter 8%.

GTClub_wajdi and pkelly like this.
  5. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

I am quite new to rF2 and for now I don´t actually race, I just do warm ups (practice) with the AI so I can learn the track and not get bored while doing so. I do find that as stated by @3377 It depends on the track too, but I also see the AI bump Into me for no reason with the AI set to 92%, aggression between 40 and 60%, and the AI limiter to 8%. I did take this thread as a reference.

It does turn me off when It happens, but I didn´t find a sweet spot yet. The AI doesn't seem to predictable, or I just don´t have the hang of It yet.

6. Team Dano

Team Dano Registered

I set AI to 100-120, depending on the track. AI aggression and limiter to 0 works best for me. The recent updates to some of the tracks seem to have improved the AI. Hopefully more updates in the future.

MikeV710 likes this.
  7. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Not a dig at you personally, it's just a general thing in sim racing that very often it seems like it's the other driver who has caused the incident when in fact it's not. If a driver catches you, it means they're faster than you and at some point they're probably going to make a move. After a while you can anticipate when an AI driver is going to send it up the inside, and it's best to allow plenty of room for them to pull off the move.

The best AI races are when you treat them like humans and give them racing room, which comes with practice and knowing the places where they will pull off a pass. Not saying they never stuff it up and wreck you, but just like a real online race, it helps to be very aware of your surroundings and anticipate that they will make a move.

For example, when I race the AI and I make a small mistake out of the exit of a corner, I immediately know that the guy behind will gain on me, and I prepare to take a slightly wide line for the next corner, so the AI has room to pass on the inside. Or (just like in a real race) move to the inside line and close the door early, so the driver behind can go to the outside. Basically, communicate unambiguously to the driver behind you (by positioning your car on the inside or outside), then allow plenty of room for them. Once you get the hang of it you can tighten things up a bit and be more aggressive, and I actually find it pretty amazing how close and hard you can race the AI without them wrecking you.

atomed, pkelly and MikeV710 like this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Another thing is your hardware. I used to have Logitech wheels and the pedals had fairly long travel. But with both a Thrustmaster TS-PC and then later a Fanatec set of pedals, you can add hard rubber spacers that dramatically shorten your brake pedal travel.(makes calibration a bit touchy) But once I got that faster brake response, I didn't run into the back of slower cars and I also didn't have to get off the power as soon before heavy braking. If you are taking your time to fully hit the brakes, the AI may be interpreting that as you are backing off to let them by.

MikeV710 likes this.
  9. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Thank you all for your reply´s, and guidance. Yes I understand that I need to learn the racing doctrine, not that I am a aggressive driver or a un-mature player/driver as one would be In the younger days, but yeah I need to spend more time with rF2 and driving sims In general.

It´s good to read that I am doing somethings wrong, and that alone makes me even want to drive more and learn while doing so. So yes I appreciate you folks telling me what I am doing wrong, and no, I don´t take this In a wrong way by any means, actually this shows there´s good will In this community even If not everybody does likewise. It also Inspires one to ask questions which Is great for a beginner.

I am planning to get a better set-up, at least something In the lines of a TM TS-PC or a bit better, but that wont be any time soon as I already have much spent on gear with my other sim hobby (flight), but again yes, I understand better gear means better feeling over all, specially If you go the competitive route. I spent some time In a flight acrobatic team so I know what good gear can do. Oh and racing seems to be way more expensive when you really get Into It xD. Love the G.A.S.

Thank you all, and drive safe.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    atomed, green serpent and davehenrie like this.
  10. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

@davehenrie I found a trick for the long travel of the pedals on my DFGT, a sponge behind the pedal cavity. It´s better then nothing ;-)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    davehenrie likes this.
  11. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Learning how to properly threashold brake in a straight line and then how to trail the brake off as you turn into the corner can gain you HUGE amounts of time. I don't reckon I was braking properly for the first couple years of my sim racing (and I'm sure I still have a lot of improvement to go).
    Apart from better hardware, a somewhat easy win to become better at braking is your actual rig itself. Having a very solidly mounted pedal set AND seat makes it so much easier to be presise and consistent. You can do some DIY stuff to really get everything as solid as posssible, and it will help hugely imo. I bought a tubular metal rig recently with a racing seat, but even that was not rigid enough, especialy with a load cell brake pedal. I've done a bit of reinforcement, but theres still too much flex when pressing the brakes hard and also the wheel moves too much. The goal is to have hardly any play at all, basically to feel like a real car.

atomed and MikeV710 like this.
  12. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

@green serpent
    Thanks for recommendations. I think that´s the first thing I noticed I was doing wrong In the first few hours that I started In simracing, and obviously still doing wrong of course. I am slowly figuring out strategies for my driving, what I need to work on, like breaking, how I approach turns, and how to shoot for apexes, shifting etc. It´s all new to me, and good fun, and I know practice makes perfect. Or as they say, rinse and repeat! I am a ex-musician so the practice thing I got quite straight so no worries In that regard.

As for gear goes, well that Is gonna slowly come Into the picture at one point or the other because I am really liking simracing In global. Right now I do have a somewhat a doable seat. From my acrobatic team days were we trained six hours a week, I made myself a comfortable seat out of a real life bus seat mounted on a steel structure I made, so In that sense, It´s like driving a real car. It´s sturdy, comfortable and It wont budge, but It wont win any simpit contest It even has a built in ashtray on the back xD

But yeah, slowly getting Into things and I really appreciate all the guidance I am getting here. Thanks GS!

atomed, green serpent and davehenrie like this.
  13. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

Hello,
    Thank you for the follow-up on AI.. But I also remind you that my question and my hope mainly concern long endurance races against AI and the possibility of resuming the race via replays.
    I don't know why, in long replays of more than 8 hours, it blocks....yes, I would like to simulate 24 hours....

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What do you mean by "it blocks" Do you mean the program crashes. I've been testing for another user who had problems after 6 hours, the replay file I'm building by driving 1 hour & then saving, driving another hour & saving, etc, adds about 100mb to the replay for each hour. It could be your system ram is getting used up.
    Try this test. Reboot your computer. SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN. load windows and do not open browsers, just start rF2 with the desktop shortcut, or if you use Steam, make sure you shut it down as soon as rF2 begins loading.
    Then try viewing the large replay again.

NOTE for plugin coders: Any chance an app could be coded that could cut up large replays into smaller chunks and then view the smaller chunks separately?

15. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

ok thanks for the info. I'll try.
    I have an SSD hard drive and 32MB of RAM.
    But I remain skeptical.

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I just finished a 6hr 5min race at Sebring. The 12hr track with 44 GT3 AI. I saved the race at about the hour mark each time. I would then come back a few days later and run another hour. I got it to load correctly each time from the replay. The only hiccup was when I resumed the race after sundown and the graphics were all washed out. Took about another minute of driving before all the colors loaded correctly.
    So 6 saves, 6 resumes, and the last save was with just 4 minutes left in the race,(6hr 1min) and after that resume from replay it finished just fine. I too, have 32GB of Ram and an SSD but I also have 12gb of video ram. Each hour I saved added about 80 to 100mb to the size of the replay file The final size of the replay for 6 hours was 568mb, so you could extrapolate that to a 24hr race needing a replay size of less than 2.5GB. More car models might add to the size of the replay.
    I did have a video driver crash after the finish of the race. As I left the track it hung up on the the last EXIT question. (I had to use the task manager to exit) But that was after the replay was saved so no damage to continuing the race.

atomed likes this.
  17. Ludo21

Ludo21 Registered

Hello, Thank you for this very interesting information. But for me, it's the even longer races that cause problems....Beyond 8 am, the replay no longer registers completely, and the game crashes and returns to the desktop. It's sad, because I would really like to simulate 12h and 24h races... Try it, you'll see. Good day

18. ThomasJohansen

I have a 4 hour race I stopped last night two and a half into.
    now when trying to resume it crashes to desktop. I have given it time to load shaders etc. trying different times in the replay but still no luck.
    it loads the replay and I can watch it but when resuming it crash. The replay file is only 165mb

19. ThomasJohansen

resume replay is broken again on my pc... worked a week ago after new cpu, but now I cant even resume a 15min qual. I just made.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

A couple of days ago I just finished a 6hr05min vs 45 AI at the 12 hr Sebring. Saved every hour. 6 saves, 6loads, only issue was exiting once. you are not the only one having 'resume from replay' issues, but it's not apparently affecting everyone.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022