R/C Racing Mod

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by FuNK!, Nov 4, 2013.

1. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Hey guys,
    just wanted to provide a quick update here as many have asked me about this project in the past weeks.

Maybe we have the bad news first: I'm sad to say that the RC mod will likely not come to live in rFactor2. It's the tires that are likely too extreme for the physics engine and cause the game to become unstable or crash. Unfortunately, we know the solution to the problem (using the old tire physics (TBC only) instead of the new (TGM)) but we cannot implement that outside of Dev Mode. That's even more unfortunate because the mod works really well in Dev Mode, even driving against AI controlled vehicles! Am still waiting for additional feedback from the devs, but my hope of finding a solution is almost gone. Sorry.

But there is still some good news to share, although it might still disappoint some. I was converting Niels' RC Mod for GSCE to rFactor2 a while ago to see if that could be a game changer in regard of the physics. While the conversion was easy and worked well, it again proved that the new tire physics cannot deal properly with this kind of extreme tire dimensions. However, I took a step back and thought of why not bringing the GSCE mod to Automobilista instead of rFactor2. It's the obvious step as GSCE and AMS are basically the same physic-wise. And if that would work, I could try to build the RC mod for AMS then. What else should I tell other than it worked!?

So going forward, I will pause the rF2 RC mod for now and switch the platform ;)
    The mod is not dead, but comes to live somewhere else, which I consider good news for all that are looking forward to some virtual RC racin :cool:

EDIT: Some formatting and spelling corrected :confused:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    svictor and Corti like this.
  2. svictor

svictor Registered

I remember had a lot crash with formula RC as well, mostly at high speed or collision. I think if the game would allow properly switch between TGM & TBC in normal game mode, it would open up a lot more possibilities and reduce developing difficulties for a lot modders. Modders can decide whether to use tgm or update TBC to tgm at a later time, especially if a TBC model works really well in the first place.

FuNK! likes this.
  3. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I know, this is mean. But maybe this creates some more attention than text would :p

PS: Video of Automobilista will follow on YT in the next days. But I won't post here for obvious reasons.