Quick question on converting tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Spears, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Spears

Spears Registered

I've seen tutorials online about converting tracks from rfactor 1 to rfactor 2. I"ve got the converting part down but i want to know what things i would need to change in the track to update it to rfactor 2 standards and how i would accomplish these things. Some of the things I'm talking about are adding real road, updating textures, shaders and things like that. So if anyone has any info that can help me please let me know.

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Rough must-to-do list for track converting:

• Modify every material's stage 1 textures (diffuse maps) to albedo maps. (rF2 wiki)
    • Setup RealRoad (rF2 wiki)
    • Setup Multi grass/dirt shader to terrain.(rF2 wiki). This might be challenging without having terrain mesh 3ds max or other 3D modelling application, because you need to access terrain mesh vertex data.
    • Modify material settings, like specular power, fresnel specular, fresnel reflect etc. After textures are "albedoed" and you have made first export, load the track in gJED or Track Viewer and play around with material settings until you are satisfied and re-export.
    • Add Ambient Occlusion to all major track side objects (which might be hard to do without accessing original 3D mesh or building new 3D mesh from scratch)
    • Setup visgroups, shadowgroups and sunblock mesh. (rF2 wiki)
    • Add radiosity to the terrain. This might be challenging without having terrain mesh in 3ds max or similar 3D modelling application, because you need to access vertex data of the mesh. (rF2 wiki)
    • Add NoRain zones, Timing lines, start- and pitlights, nightlights and marshals. (rF2 wiki)
    • Setup reflections; REFLECTEDENV,REFMAP0 and static cubic reflections. (rF2 wiki)
    • Setup GDB and TDF parameters together with weather preset. (rF2 wiki)
    • Depending which platform converted track is coming, you need to build AIW file from scratch or modify existing one (applies only rF1 AIW). (rF2 wiki)
    • Create loading screen and track icons
    • Build first test component, test track online and offline
    • Fix all bugs, build new component and test the track again
    • Repeat until all bugs are fixed, build new component and release the track to the public.

3. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

In spaksis conversion process (End to end) - It will cover adding realroad.. and packing up to make playable - Its 3 years old and windows is in another language, so the simed buttons, pay attention to left and right, but it is in spoken english
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Si0jYsjNxc

As per above GJED or if you have it 3dsimed you can change shaders and re-export, aswell as spec , fresnel and reflect levels.. ( i find loading an ISI track) or a track you can access seeing what values they use on their materials and replicating it is a good starting point.

Changing to Albedo maps (is simple version - changing saturation and lightness (Control U) in photoshop and desaturating each texture and resave
    This takes away the super uber bright textures with the new light rendering engine.. (Albedo map) is the name for a texture that is more suitable to apply light and darkness too by a game engine - the wiki is good, but Feels3 also posted an exceptional thread on this topic a while back

The rest is pretty much detailed above, although how to do these tasks can vary... let us know what step your up to.. (Some are not needed), but the more polished and experienced you get the more you will use.

4. Spears

Spears Registered

Thanks guys for the responses.