Questions for ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1lover, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semirossi

semirossi Registered

I don't have any questions at all. Everything is clear to me.

rFactor 2 = rFactor 1 + Rain

He he, well add some tiny effects more and we're there.

I think that rFactor is full of possibilities never ever used by modders. We simply do not know how to use it all. The only thing we need is proper documentation for everything available in rFactor. For instance, in game file sharing is available, voice chat is too and probably many more things we never were informed of from the start.

Now when you guys (ISI) successfully started a forum for rFactor, why not include a simple Wiki here as well, to start building on the documentation which also might be a first start to guarantee higher quality on future mods and tracks.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

From page2 of recent interview with Gjon (LINK):
    Doug: Along the same lines as our previous question... It is a popular technique to copy rFactor on the registered machine 2-3 times to allow players to have an install for different leagues, series or testing. Any problem with doing this in rFactor 2?

ISI / Gjon: Yes... kinda. rFactor 2 will only support one player file per Windows user. If you wanted to do this with Vista or Windows 7, one would have to make more than one Windows user. However, each Windows user should be able keep one set of installed mods. This is a work in progress and can be changed before release.

I don't think that is a good idea... I think I'm not the only one who use more than one rFactor installation and within that, also more than one player profile (with different user name, different graphical settings, different steering settings and so on). Right now I have a few rF installations and 4 of which are the most important and have to be separate: FIA GT, Historic GT, for funraces and for an event at foreign league. The last one has completly different profile nick name and some other settings. Historic GT has different steering settings than FIA GT and funraces profiles. I have additional installation to test released mods and tracks, but in general I don't like the idea of having one installation, one profile and within that dozen of mods and few times more tracks. Had that some time ago and it was getting really messy, plus some mods and tracks were interfering between each other.
    I really would like to have rF 2 organized in the same way like have rF 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010
  3. FL!P

FL!P Registered

Yeah, same here.

4. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

+1
    I have 4 installs at the moment, for different championships and modding projects. Although I always race under the same name those are different rFs with slightly different PLRs. Besides that I have a couple of additional PLRs for optimized making best quality screenshots, previewing ingame sounds etc.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I actually saw this being discussed (in much the same way you guys are) by the devs the other day, so this really is likely to be altered.

6. F1lover

F1lover Registered

yes totally agree with LesiU .. one of the most important part for any modding team is using multple installs, this is for me the biggest let down to date.. everything else sounds so promising..

7. Bee

Bee Former ISI Staff

@LesiU I tend to agree. It's hard to say what the outcome will be with respect to this, but the topic has been brought up and discussed as Tim has pointed out. The ultimate issue may be more about implementation than preference, so we'll see.

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Nice to hear that, guys! I hope you will work it out somehow. Apart from that one issue, Gjon gave us only the good news :)

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Speaking of multiple installations - what I missed in rFactor was ability to have shared folder for tracks.

I think it would be nice if each player could simply add a list of search pathes for vehicles and tracks. Why list and not juz one extra search path? I could have separate folders with oval circuits, F1 circuits, rally stages, historical circuits, work-in-progress circuits and so on. Circuits could even have conflicting files, as long as they would be kept in separate folders.
    I would then have a player with oval, road and street circuits, another one with just rally circuits, and one more with just work in progress circuits.
    I can do that now, by having separate rFlite for each player, but only if each circit is used by just one player. If some circuit is used by more player profiles, I have to make another copy of it on disk (in another RF installation).

Of course this is example based on rFactor(2005). Perhaps it's totally outdated with the new modding system in rF2 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010
  10. fastorro

fastorro Registered

i'm also want to look:

- App for to have multiple Dedicated server all joined in one screen, posible copy configs!!!
    - More Detail in incidents separated by X seconds and by drivers/objects
    - If car have anything break, flag for enter to the pitlane to repair car.

excuse me by my few english

11. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

My tracks are all in a separate folder. So all X instances of rF have all the tracks available from the same folder w/o the need to have multiple copies of the same track for each rF. The only problem that creates is the high number of tracks leads to a gigantic list of automatically generated folders for car setups, which is very annoying by the way, when you're sent a setup and die of old age while scrolling towards the 'Recieved' folder.

Will we get a more flexible system for managing saved setups? The ability to manually create folders and subfolders ingame would be cool.

12. F1lover

F1lover Registered

LMAO.. so true

13. fastorro

fastorro Registered

I forget this:

option for download (track version, mod) or resent to url for this accion

14. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Same here, many of our driver in our league have many installation for same reasons, and in addition modding tests.
    This limitation is a bad news if it's confirmed.
    You can link the check of the rFactor licence to the profile, why not, but limit one profile on one installation is a bad idea IMO.
    Strange idea (because we don't know the reasons of this choice)

Instead of this, what I read of the interview is very promishing and in right line with I think about ISI spirit made with rF. Keep pushing !!

If we can have some details of how you hope to implement the return back in race after disconnect and driver swap, it will be good to know.

Last point, modding teams hope to have as earliest as possible the informations to transfert and start to work the rF1 mods to rF2 ;)

15. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Thank you for the hint. I didn't thought of it. :)

16. Gusztav

Gusztav Registered

+1 on the possible .plr issue. :(

As for the questions, it would be nice to get some info on the sound engine evolution, if any is actually planned. I personally find sounds, apart from physics and GFX, to be a really important piece of the puzzle called immersion. Kind of holy trinity if you like. Good old rF still sounds good and we got some really great sounds from couple of community mods, yet more is always welcomed. So, any info on that?

17. 10speed

10speed Registered

I think this and some other things were dropped before release and they forgot to delete the configuration values in the PLR-file.

18. (SKS)Discipline

(SKS)Discipline Registered

I also see a lot of trouble comming towards our league if only one installation is possible. Currently I am using 3 copies on my pc: one for testing, one for league racing and one for modding. I mean, nearly everything i've heard until now is very promissing, but this would be a huge handicap. At the beginning it should work, but the more mods will be released the problems will come up steadily. I already know a lot of mods dont working at the same installation properly.

Furthermore it would be a big handicap concerning loading time when starting the game and mods. Have you ever tried to open a 30GB-rf? Hell, you can go shopping meanwhile :D

Besides this point I would like to know whether it will be more comfortable to race in different classes on one server. Its already possible in rf1, but you dont really have a good overview about it. We and our partner offer live streaming of races and especially of big events and its always very confusing figuring out the leaders of each class. We are e.g. organizing a 24h-race on the Nordschleife and it would be very helpful to have a better overview.

19. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

This has been discussed on more than one occasion. It's something that we want to do. I can't say if it will be ready for initial release or sometime beyond that, but it has been discussed...

20. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

Ok,
    thanks for your answers Tim & Scott.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.