Questions for ISI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1lover, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

2. brumbrum

brumbrum Registered

My main question is if rF2 will have dynamic shadows and realtime reflections???

Force feedback wise i really hope any kind of real feel plugin won't be needed anymore ;)

3. migf1

migf1 Registered

I thought I'd give it a shot too, and I hope this is the right place to do so...

Will rf2 feature...

* Anti-cheat code (for track cutting for example)
    * Unix/Linux friendly dedicated servers
    * Improved interface online (e.g. changing cars on the fly, providing chat history while racing on the track, selective setup sending, skin sharing, etc)
    * Spectating mode without the need to own the game (great for broadcasting races, thus attracting more people)
    * Centralized mod moderation
    * Centralized ranking system (perhaps with uploading hotlaps, if online tracking is out of question... like LFS World or Ferrari Virtual Academy for example) with data encryption (in rFactor they're on plain text files, making it very easy to edit them before uploading them to rF Rank for example.
    * Built-in telemetry support
    * Ability to view driver's input graphically (throttle, brake, steering, handbrake, etc) along with the aids he's using when spectating someone online and/or a replay
    * Better force-feedback (feeling like nKPro for example, which I consider to be the absolute point of reference)
    * Optionally live time/weather support (via Google for example)
    * Better support for creating custom cameras (ideally in-game, or with a GUI) and handling them during a race (perhaps with an auto-focus support)

Ok, perhaps I've carried away :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  4. The Stig

The Stig Registered

In some real world races mid-race parts changes are mandatory. A good example is the Bathurst 1000 where teams must make a mandatory brake pad change (some teams elect to do a rotor change as well). And of course mandatory tire compound changes as well.

Are there any plans to implement more in-depth rule sets like this, if not at release in future updates?

5. RT1971

RT1971 Registered

Will each copy of RF2 have a unique code for online racing to help with banning and kicking and to prevent people from using other drivers names to give that person a bad reputation.
    Also a question about modding, I am currently involved in making tracks for a Drag Racing mod, is there going to be any ability to add trigger points to the tracks to activate things like staging lights for Dragstrips or other forms of animation.

6. jgmonty

jgmonty Registered

ISI Tools for 3ds Max

@Tim/ISI

A little over a year ago ISI published new 3ds Max plugins on their site that were believed to support Max8, Max9 and Max2010, though from my own testing and based on many forum discussions at the time, it would seem only the Max8 version of the tools worked.

I haven't seen any feedback to date from ISI on why the tools were posted (last I checked are still posted) or why the Max9 and Max2010 versions are not functional.

Any chance of clarification on this issue?

P.S. Thanks for getting the RSS feeds enabled... :)

7. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

Can you give us an indication as to what to expect from RF2 that would be of great value to a Drag Racing mod, apart from the question asked by RT1971.

eg:
    1. in some drag racing classes, the drivers door can by opened to allow smoke to exit the cockpit whilst the car is reversing back to the startline.
    2. could it be possible to activate parachutes at the end of the quarter mile
    3. certain classes allow crew members to make final adjustments to cars even as they approach the startline.

these may seem like pie-in-the-sky questions, and RF2 has been touted as having the capability to use "character animations". if these "animations" can be done then it will add greatly to the sense of immersion in the game and to the game play.

Angus94
    DragFactor creator, modeler, webmaster and senior Admin

8. GTR2fan

GTR2fan Registered

NOOOOO steam no please, that need a internet conection for play!

9. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

You know what would be great?

Having some kind of scripted events.
    Like a guy waving the chequered flag,
    fireworks during the formation lap,
    animals crossing the road occasionally,
    birds taking off,
    a crazy guy running on the track at Silverstone :D
    etc.

I think it would add a lot to the immersion,
    and modders could be very creative using this.

Can we expect something like that?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  10. Graag

Graag Registered

11. Philip Oakley

Philip Oakley Registered

You can play offline on Steam, just select go offline from the settings menu, right at the top.

All I'd like to know: Minimum specs (I'm building/getting a new PC for rF2, so I need to know this).
    When we can preorder.
    Will it be in common stores, e.g GAME in the UK.

Also +1 to 6e66o's post above!

EDIT: @GTR2fan I see what you mean now, you need an internet connection to connect to go offline. My bad, sorry :)

12. Ahmad

Ahmad Registered

??? No you don't. If you don't have Internet access it prompts you to start Steam in offline mode.

13. Aaron Carlisle

Aaron Carlisle Registered

I hated dodging those damn track workers in R.B.R. on some stages, but it sure did add to the immersion factor (No pun intended) quite a bit. I hope something like this does in fact get implemented into rF2 as well.

14. RaceRay

RaceRay Registered

About FFB: Did you already try Leo Bodners FFB mod? About physics: I agree that the iRacing cars out of the box are better than the rF1 standard cars but there are some very powerful rF1 car mods out which are at least similar to the iRacing cars imho. I only tested iRacing for some hours but i promise to test it for a month to know what you are talking about :)

15. Karimov_Ramill

Karimov_Ramill Registered

What based mode will be in RF 2?

16. Mitch Harris

Mitch Harris Registered

Will there be any improvements to the collision system? (it annoyed me a small bit on how the cars were basically made of rocks trying grinding against each other when contact is made)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This one is already answered. See the 4 screens posted last night: flag workers and plane in the sky. Obviously that isn't every animation there will be, but gives you your answer.

18. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

Well,
    im not sure, but the plain doesnt necessarily need to be scripted, right?
    It just follows the path, regardless what happens on track.

As far as the marshalls are concerned your obviously right,
    they need to wave the correct flag according to what happens.

What i, as a modder, would love to have, is the ability to trigger certain events, whenever i want.
    For example birds taking off when my car reaches a certain point on track.
    A simple animation would not be enough in this case,
    because it would only play in a loop,
    and the event would not be caused by my car position.

Maybe im wrong about that,
    im not that much into the subject.
    But i think you know what i mean :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  19. CJ Modiano

CJ Modiano Registered

One question I've been most concerned about since day 1 of the rF2 announcement is Force Feedback. Sims like iRacing, netKar Pro, and even the outdated LFS do not use canned FF effects. Everything you feel through the wheel is based off a tire hitting something on the track. Also, the response of the steering wheel is incredibly snappy and quick in these sims. This is definitely an area where rFactor 1 has shown it's age, where the steering feels numb and laggy. I'm definitely encouraged by the fact that there's going to be a new tire model, so has the FF improved in this area as well?

Thanks, I can't wait to get an answer to this one!

[edit: and then I continued reading page 2 of the ISI interview at SimHQ and read this: ISI / Gjon: We have reworked the force feedback to be more direct like the RealFeel plugin. The new technology behind it attempts to eliminate input lag as much as possible in software, including some optional prediction. While it's impossible for ISI to overcome physical delays in the steering wheel's FFB motor, the good news is that the newer wheels tend to respond much faster than the older ones.]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010
  20. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I'm wondering if faster USB (from default 125Hz to 250 or 500Hz) could improve FF response?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.