Questions about component URL & Mod ID

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by toebee, Feb 18, 2017.

1. toebee

toebee Registered

I am trying to figure out what the "URL" & "Mod ID" fields are used for when creating a component. Lots of info out there but I think most of it is outdated and/or has broken links. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Apparently only Noel Hibbard got to understand this. He developed getmod manager. Search for it and use it instead.

3. toebee

toebee Registered

Thanks. I am just trying to make sense of their purpose. This feature sounds like it is more for someone who wants to run a league. Not so much for the modder himself. Is that correct? From what I can tell this is the feature that lets you download a missing mod as you join a server. With the introduction of steam I would assume most modders use steam for distribution and updates.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think Mod ID is deprecated (part of the early mod publishing system that got abandoned), while the URL points to a location that will give the file (for download) to people whose game requests it (it appends a token and content hash to the URL, so the site code can provide the right file). As mentioned above Noel's tool makes use of this, if you check it out it'll make more sense.

5. toebee

toebee Registered

Alright thanks.