Question regarding Multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mibrandt, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I just bought a year of online subscription and have a couple of questions about the multiplayer lobby.

Where do I see which car and track is in use on the server?
    And where do I see which session is ongoing? (practice/quali/race)

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

You don't, from the matchmaker, at least.

How I find out what the server is running I generally click on it and allow it to get the mod which then tells you what content is needed.

As for current session, I don't think it tells you at all in the matchmaker?

3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

So you dont know what you are joining? I mean Get mod wont get a mod if you have it will it?

Is it really so that I have to join a server to see what I join?

4. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I just tried to join a server and then the "good old" message came with a long list of tracks that I was missing even though I had the actual track that was raced on. Damnit I thought that was fixed a long time ago !??????? :(

5. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

It was, It's up to the admin whether they take advantage of that feature, it's not automatic.

I had the same issue last night. I thought "Right I'm going to join some random, populated servers and have some pickup fun". I went to join 3 which had 10+ people in, each required a huge list of circuits to be downloaded before I could join.

I went and played Raceroom instead, couldn't be bothered to wait the 30 minutes to download loads of tracks I will never use again.

6. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Thats really disappointing. Any idea why the admins stick to the old system?

7. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Not a clue when they're running multi-circuit public servers. It makes no sense and clearly turns people away.

But hey it's their server :)

8. rer8

rer8 Registered

This is a fair observation. It would be nice if the game name alone was managed by the mod maker and the current Track and Car were displayed (as in dynamic). Perhaps someone from ISSI could help by noticing this thread and responding.

9. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Maybe I am asking foolishly but what are we paying for with the online subscription? I thought I had to pay to actually be given something that worked like a charm in return. I have managed to get into 1 server and race and thats it. The rest is either already racing (which cant be seen before joining), missing components - I even managed to join a server in quali session with 14 mins left and the Race button was just greyed out. The thing just doesnt work properly which is hard to accept when they charge for it. Does anyone know if its possible to unsubscribe and get the money back?

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

It's my understanding that the yearly fee is only, in part, for multiplayer. While paying it unlocks it, that's not strictly where the money goes. I seem to remember Tim (sorry if It wasn't you, Tim) saying that these yearly fees allow ISI to continue to develop rFactor 2 for longer and also allowing extra money to sign new content such as tracks and cars. Because the fee unlocks multiplayer, a lot of people think that's what it's for. I think it's more of a case they need to give people a reason to pay the fee, if that makes sense?

I'm pretty sure what i just said was correct, anyone feel free to correct me.

Personally when I bought lifetime I saw it as my way to support rFactor 2/ISI. Every other sim I can think of either requires a sub or has (or will have) paid DLC. So I understand why they would need an extra income. It's still the cheapest Sim I own in monetary terms. (Well, strictly speaking, AC is, but will quickly surpass my expenditure on rF2 once their DLC's start pouring out)

Honestly don't know their refund policy mate, you would have to contact them directly.

http://imagespaceinc.com/contact/

11. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Thanks Rich - I guess if ISI depend on it I wont ask for a refund. But boy I hope they are working hard on this part because frankly it sucks.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

Unless you bought the game less than week ago, no. But you can unsubscribe by not paying the yearly online fee, which I guess the masses already did. There is nothing in mp mode for random racers at moment, not even ISI servers anymore. It's all about leagues or if you get lucky and find a server with ISI content or one that has mods set up for autodownload.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Very good question, at least: nowhere. I`m waiting for this, too. Couldn`t be a big problem, to include this informations into the rf2 lobby... :mad:

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Actually you get what you are paying for, if ISI cars and tracks are used get missing component works fine but if third party cars or tracks are used it is up to server admin to make working get missing component and have own web server to third party components, ISI is never going to have web server to third party components. Online lobby shows always track name but it is up to server admin to make vmod with car name (ISI Nissan 370z) or something similar.:)

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

But this doesn`t help, when multiple cars, classes and tracks are on the server. It`s working with very old games, why not with rf2? Mouseover the server and needed tracks & cars are shown. Where is the problem? Don`t make it to easy to the customer???

16. stonec

stonec Registered

rF2 UI tech is a bit limited, I'm not sure it supports such mouseover effects you are asking for.

17. m0ck

m0ck Registered

I do feel the same as Mibrandt, like the mp lobby must be improved, somehow.
    It is just as being a blind person and pushing buttons without knowing what that would do.
    Getting rfmod from each server takes time. The UI is laggy and slow.
    Many public servers (not password protected) run many modified mods and modified tracks without giving the ability of download that content, and why would I want dozen version of the same track? Sorry, but that makes rF2 MP experience a mess from the beginning.

18. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe with the new UI, wich seems comming...

But this is the fault of the server admins, you can`t blame ISI for there faults... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  19. bwana

bwana Registered

Proper car and track names should be forced on mp. League admins need to comply if they run open public servers and want drivers. The abbreviation are often useless . Server coloring does work for me so I find a room go in solo and more often than not others join.

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

People need to be a whole less cryptic with naming is all :rolleyes: