Question about wet track

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOCA2FREAK, Jan 7, 2015.

1. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been answered but I was wondering when ISI will implement a better RainDensity parameter in the .wet files.

I have a server running at the moment. (Server name: REVS - Simracing UK) The chance or rain or "RainChange" as it is put in the .wet file is 90%. So it is pretty much guaranteed to be raining and Trackmap shows me that the track is 20% wet on track. RainDensity is set to "RainDensity=(0)"

As far as I understand:
    • RainDensity=(0) will make the track always get 20% wet if it rains
    • RainDensity=(1) will make the track always get 60% wet if it rains
    • RainDensity=(2) will make the track always get 100% wet if it rains

The server is running the new Clio Cup around Loch Drummond. I am finding it very difficult to get any grip and am finding I have to tiptoe around the track in order not to under steer off. I was wondering if this is right for a track that is only 20% wet and if ISI will implement more range to the RainDensity parameter say in 1% increments would be awesome. :D

Thanks. ;)

www.revs-simracing.co.uk

2. AHS_Mancho

AHS_Mancho Registered

Hi,

i think thats not correct. You have 6 Rain Weather Options. 5+6 (Light clouds and Rain) 7-8 (..... and Rain) 9-10 (... Storm usw.)
    For Weather 5-6 you need RainDensity 0, for 7-8 you need RainDensity 1 and for 9-10 you need RainDensity 3 - otherwise the option will not work.

RainChange option - Rain comes to 100% or ..... only to 20%

If you like more or less Rain on Track go to the .wet file at the track and make some entry for z.B. Time 550 - Rain, Time 555 Sunny, Time 560 Rain.
    So you can control the water on the track.

3. TOCA2FREAK

TOCA2FREAK Registered

Hi,

Thanks. What is z.B?

4. rafnix

rafnix Registered

z.B. = e.g.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Proper rain physics is not yet implemented and I don't think ISI will work on improving current model.

I believe this current model is nothing more than a placeholder. "100% wet track" really says nothing about conditions. Surface wetness is one thing and can be measured in %, but amount of water on top of surface is another thing, and should be measured in mm.

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

You mean you think they will just totally rebuild a new wet weather system?

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

They plan on adding better wet weather physics and aquaplanning. Eventually :)

Just like they plan on adding dirt physics, but that comes even later.

8. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

indeed....never mind, the way you worded it seemed like you were implying something else.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Also worth noting, it would most probably require updated version released of each car as well to support better wet weather tire physics, same way as updated contact patch will require. So it will be a long process...

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I only said I don't believe they will expand current model based on track wetness parameter, since that parameter doesn't make much sense when used alone.

11. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Probably just a lack of understanding my part. I understand what you meant now mate :)

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Sure thing :)

I guess my choice of words doesn't always eliminate all interpretation possibilities.

Ok, just kidding :)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Bit late to the party but here goes...

I wouldn't pay much attention to the figure reported to plugins. It's outdated and I'd imagine probably not correct (when you think about it - a single 'dampness' figure when you're at a particular point on the track, on or off a drying line, wouldn't really work very well. Maybe a current dampness for each tyre (averaged across the contact patch) would make more sense, but we don't have that yet)

I haven't personally tested the different RainDensity settings since 2012 sometime, but I know for sure that =0 will get you to a 100% wet track. This can be easily confirmed via either devmode or single/multi-player by making the tyres lose very little or no grip in the damp; they'll get slippery as **** after a while because the track (or the part of it you're on) exceeds 50% dampness. Because...

... ISI recently confirmed that the dampnesseffects you set for a tyre are for a 'fully damp', not 'wet', track, which means 50% wet. After that ALL tyres currently lose grip by the same amount as the track approaches 100% wet.

Yes, this means a monsoon tyre full of grooves and channels will lose the same percentage as a slick tyre when they're supposed to both be encountering some standing water.

Not a great situation, in fact I consider it unusable unless you decide to ensure only short periods of rain so you never have more than 50% wetness. But I was told they would look again at this area in the future. I'd hope this year.

14. knackko

knackko Registered

After using the rain plugin on rFactor, I did not understand how to use the only 3 values of RainDensity with rFactor2, at only 20% raining (RainDensity=0), the track wetness grows to more than 70% ! it is like the rain is never clear out from the track, it just accumulates it. So why only 3 values available?

15. knackko

knackko Registered

I did some tests yesterday on a dedicated server and weather tool in user mode. Weather tool allows to inject various values of rain density, at 5% of rain density, track wetness grows up slightly but it seems there is no limit to the track wetness (it can reach 100%). To maintain a wetness value, 1% of rain density is fine :).
    It also allows to see easily what happens graphically when increasing the cloud cover and rain density: whatever the cloud cover, increasing the rain density make the clouds darker (nothing surprising, storm is always dark).