question about releasing someone elses tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by les, Feb 12, 2012.

1. les

les Registered

i have been working on converting a track for rf2 its a nascar style track from jns tracks my question is credit will be given where credit is due but i cant seem to get a hold of the person who made the original track to ask permission

if i cant get a hold of this person, which i cant seen to, should i release the track or not im 60 percent done right now, should be about another 3 days and it should be done

so my question is it ethical to release someones track without there saying it is ok ??

this will be freeware

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Well since it's an ethical question you'll have to come to own conclusion as you're likely to hear every possible angle on it on here. ;)

As far as my take on it goes, if you made a genuine attempt to contact the original author that's sufficient. Some modders can be... protective of their work and will voice it in their readme or on their website, forbidding anyone ever doing anything to or with their track. If jns tracks (?) is that kind of modder perhaps think about it for another day or two and give the original author another two weeks to respond.

Preferably you should always have the original author's OK. I don't know how long you have given him to respond, but you should give him more than just a few days. In addition, you could try to contact someone who is/was previously working with that author if they have more recent contact data.

3. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

4. les

les Registered

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at jnstracks.net.

cant find the server

5. ethone

ethone Registered

Link works for me.

6. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Works in internet explorer.

7. les

les Registered

i get that every time Server not found i tried ie and firefox both and the same thing

8. les

les Registered

i restarted my computer and tested firefox and ie and i cant connect to the website weird im not sure why either it cant find the server

9. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Try opening a command window and type "ipconfig /flushdns".

10. les

les Registered

nope that didnt work either i tried it on all 4 computers i have here and the same thing i tried pinging the website and nothing there either saying cant find

11. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Usually I find if you have to ask, you already know the answer and are looking for justification for what you know is wrong but want to do anyways. Don't do it without expressly written consent. Lack of a reply in these matters is a negative response.

If I ask a tree if it okay to rob a bank, surely it would not reply. This does not mean you are justified to rob that bank. Without asking the appropriate person, you will never get a sufficient reply to move forward.

1 person likes this.
  12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Don't release it to the public. Hand it out to friends or league members. That is usually how stuff like this is handled.

13. mianiak

mianiak Registered

[ED] nm, too late

14. Joe Evans

Joe Evans Registered

Not sure what the issue could be with the website, I've tested with firefox, IE, and opera and it's loading fine. I do include a readme with the tracks with my contact email address, it's in the main JNS_Tracks folder. Feel free to pm me here with what you've done and your intentions and I'll be happy to get back to you.

15. les

les Registered

thanks joe ill do that right now

16. les

les Registered

i would never ever release a track or someone else s content without getting approval but since joe contacted me since this message i am waiting for a yes or no if a no then i will never release but i will keep it private for myself

but if i could not get a response after a certain amount of time then i might release but give credit to the original person who made the track

17. bison160

bison160 Registered

I wonder, did JNS make sure it was ok with original authors before releasing his rfactor tracks? Nothing against Joe, because I know even a convert is a bit of work, but its awful hard to claim rights to something you converted from another game unless full permission was granted.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  18. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Actually, any distribution would be forbidden without authorization. A back alley drug deal is a deal nonetheless.

19. coops

coops Banned

so what happens if we have a great track or mod that some1 has made... and know longer is playing or modding for rfactor????????????....... do we approach ISI to do it. or do we just rip it off rf1 and put it in for ppl to enjoy?
    remember a lot of ppl might have moved on to a diff game or no longer doing sim racing...

20. ethone

ethone Registered

Aaaand this is why we can't have a nice community... :(

1 person likes this.