Question about offline racing in rf2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Vandamme, Oct 5, 2010.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Aggresion was tied to Realism in the plr file (from memory), if anything the AI needs just one place for all their settings (a separate file perhaps) with 2nd file for Talent settings. But as I said above there needs to be more options in game, like an Advanced AI screen or something.

2. bmanic

bmanic Registered

AI is actually pretty damn impressive in the rFactor engine. Not perfect by a long shot but still impressive. Reasons for AI being screwed up in most Mods (and even in some of the official cars) is due to crappy AI setups and bad AI racing lines.

Also, AI doesn't aggressively block their racing line so it's easy to "abuse" this by divebombing. However, having said that; treating the AI like a HUMAN player with strict rules, like in iRacing where you get severely penalized for reckless driving, you'll suddenly notice the AI being quite damn impressive if you give it some space. This can be easily witnessed in Simbins GTR Evolution / Race On series where they have paid some good attention to the AI behaviour. It's by far the best offline driving experience I've had since Grandprix Legends.

My only gripe is that the AI isn't very fast, especially with tin tops.. in open wheelers they seem to be better (or then I'm just much worse!). I can easily beat the AI on 100% difficulty and I'm not even that fast of a driver.

Cheers!
    bManic

3. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

I would like to see a couple new parameter limits introduced to AI in rF2, to try reduce some of the obvious non-human like abilities seen from just watching/listening to AI go round a track.

1) A maximum speed the AI can apply and disengage the throttle. Commonly heard when AI is behind somebody; the throttle pulses on and off very rapidly, very digitally.

2) A maximum speed the AI can apply and disengage the brake. Often in mid-corner the AI will use 100% brake momentarily for a split second, sometimes more than once in rapid succession.

3) Apply smoothing to all AI control inputs. Particularly steering; AI coming out of pits are often seen making harsh digital turns immediately, lock to lock in a fraction of a second.

4) Assign a minimum AI reaction time somewhere? Maybe have it vary (150ms - 300ms) between drivers to increase randomness.