Question about offline racing in rf2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tom Vandamme, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Tom Vandamme

Tom Vandamme Registered

Hello,

In 2006 I left the Gran Turismo series, GTR and GP for RFactor.
    Endurance racing 8h, 12h and 24h races are my thing.
    The AI in rfactor was not allways great (in endurances)

Will there be a improved OFFline racing in Rfactor 2?
    things I am thinking of:
    the pacecar and full course yellow malfunctions...
    the lack off AI race incidents (AI failures)
    the AI all pitting in the same lap...
    not be able to have an Offline driver switch.
    ...it was soooo painfull after 23hours racing to see all the AI where still in the same gridposition and all running out of fuel in the last lap....

I really hope Rfator will get the thrills of racing into the Sim.
    The thrill and suspence to get your car in one piece to the finish.

I really hope rF2 will not be a graphic update of Rfactor and just another Timetrial game like Polyphony Digital will release soon.....

Keep up the great work!
    greetings from Belgium,

Tom

1 person likes this.
  2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I too hope the AI is improved in rf2, whilst it wasn't all bad in rf1 there is always room for improvement. I'll draw up my own rf2 AI wish list later when I'm home from work.

3. Rantam

Rantam Registered

You're right, but let's not forget a lot of the AI issues present in mods are the result of not having the AI properly defined. So let's hope about having not only a better AI code, but also some good documentation/support about how to set it and also having modders taking care of it, because sadly AI doesn't receive a lot of attention usually :)

Regards

4. Tom Vandamme

Tom Vandamme Registered

Indeed. Rfactor has a "good" AI compared with other games. I started the thread because these days all the sims focus only on online racing.
    Offline racing can also be a superb and social event, would it be possible to swich drivers. Nothing is as stressfull as crashing the car when your co driver just drove 4hours....
    So it would be nice to have a proper Endurance AI too

5. Rantam

Rantam Registered

6. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Some AI just can never handle a car. I threw a bunch on Rallye Alicante in HistorX cars and the best handling / fastest cars were crashing and fishtailing all over. So AI's interaction with different car behaviors would need to be "learned" faster

7. FL!P

FL!P Registered

Having good AI's is very important in multiplayer too, not only offline! We often use them to increase the grid size and spice up the races, with my team.

One of the things I'd love to see improved, in AI's, is their track awareness. I don't know how many times I've seen an AI rejoining the track in the middle of the traffic after an off, like it was alone, and causing mayhem. Or turning in on me when I was inside in a corner, just like I wasn't there.

8. GTR2fan

GTR2fan Registered

For me AI is good at Rfactor. The battles at LIENZ were really good.

9. xzess

xzess Registered

Ai accidents, and other tweaks, can be set in the rfactor prl config file, if you want to make them more "real" adjust it.

10. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

GTR Evo has really good AI, if rFactor 2 could at least equal that I will be very happy. But I must say, deep down I am expecting a bit better than the Simbin titles...

:D

1 person likes this.
  11. Jeffrey Rietveld

Jeffrey Rietveld Registered

Offline racing isnt that much fun as online racing IMO. But I agree that the AI behaviour should be improved in rF2.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Right here goes, firstly I don't expect most/all of the following to be implemented into RF2 but it would be good if gradually (through future patches) the AI gets a good look....also not to mention I have no clue what the RF2 AI is like so the following maybe irrelevant but you get the idea!

More in-game options:
    In rF1 its all well and good having multiple files to adjust but for the casual gamer that's no good, they want to be able to jump into a race without spending hours (and yes Ive spent hours!) tweaking the AI here there and everywhere, the main in-game options should be:
    - Compulsory Pit Stops = This forces the AI to Pit, maybe make it a slider bar so you can have as many pit stops as required/whether its fuel + tires or Fuel only etc This prevents the need to whack up Fuel Usage/Tire Wear to big amounts just to get the AI to pit which I see as a downside.
    - Aggression, Speed, Strength, Difficulty & Mistakes Sliders = Offers more scope to get the AI just right (again without the need of editing the talent files, this can be left to the hardcore editor types!)
    - Use Players Setup = Again a simple tick-box would suffice (add to this the best AI drivers get more from the setup than the worst according to Talent Files so not every AI is identical)
    - Ability to select an AI driver to partner you in an Endurance event = Select from a list of drivers, again referring to maybe their Talent Files to find a decent match to yourself, this prevents getting a bog standard AI driver who (in my experience in rF) is rubbish!
    - Slider bar or something to tell the AI when to pit in a given stint during an Endurance Race = Instead of them running the fuel dry or tires to maximum worn you can tell them when to come in. Could also have an in-game button to order them into the pits should you notice a decent time to take over from them.

In Race advancements:
    - More awareness Blue Flags
    - More awareness of on coming traffic (especially when rejoining the track)
    - Better collision detection = this is in relation to the AI driving up your rear end and not braking in time. Also to the AI when alongside you they lean into you half a car length down and magically force their way in front of you.
    - More realistic Mistakes

AI Learning:
    If this is still present in RF2 I'd like to see a tick-box before a test session to select which AI to use, so if you have a MOD with various car types you can select one from each type and they can all go out at once. This prevents having to ADD AI then REMOVE AI over and over again. Again this helps with the speed up of play for the casual gamer who wants to race them on a track he/she has just downloaded. It also goes without saying they need to learn the track in all weather conditions ;)
    Maye have the AI use the Players Ghost Car lap to use for their correct line.

The AI in Rf1 was good but could've been better, sure its difficult to get AI working with all MODs, but even the stock AI with stock cars/tracks it could've done with abit of loving. Certainly a base AI section for Modders is a must IMO, this would help them get the AI to work with their cars instead of the Player having to delve through the ini/talent files in order to get the AI working just right......which can help dramatically but its a huge amount of time depending on the MOD. Personally I've had some of my best AI races in V8Factor but that's after spending hours tweaking bits here and there and even then its not perfect but it is alot better than it was....and certainly alot of fun!
    I do hope, if anything, that we the community can help make AI racing better, remembering that not everyone likes to race online or may even want to race online. I love both and hope RF2s AI is heading in the right direction for those days I just wanna jump into the game and have a run around without having to wait in Matchmaker for a session to end only to find I've not got the latest version blah blah blah :D On-line racing maybe the now & the future....but AI Racing is there for everyone all of the time!

(P.S. that's most but not all of what I'm thinking, pretty sure Ive missed a few things!)

13. JorgeANeto

JorgeANeto Registered

My main concern about AI cars is when you have to slow down for any reason (warm up lap on qualys, eg) and they stop behind you too. GTR Evo/RaceOn have also this issue.

The AI car doesn't know when it has the opportunity to overtake and when is better to slow a bit after you and try to overtake afterwards.

14. Flaux

Flaux Registered

+1 (vote for GP4 Hotseat-Function)

Yeah they should make quicker decisions.

15. AosudiF1

AosudiF1 Registered

No disrespect here, but, even F1 2010 has better AI than rF1. I'm not expecting GP4-like AI, but at least, improved over rF1... hopefully...

1 person likes this.
  16. Rantam

Rantam Registered

Yep, that would be good. Let's not forget also that not only the cars' AI has to be correctly defined. Also the track has to be properly configured, AI wise.

Regards

17. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I take back some of that video. I think I made my AI 4 times more likely to crash in the PLR. Did it so long ago I forgot!

18. The Stig

The Stig Registered

Well when you are dealing with 1 series made in-house it is probably a bit easier, but rfactor did have some terrible AI. Negotiating them was a far bigger challenge then racing the track. I found more often then not it was better to be at the back, let them space out a bit and then try to make your way through the field safely.

19. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Same here. Starting at the back, it's much safer to stay last for a couple of laps rather than getting crushed in the first few corners.

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Yeah, F1 2010 does not have to deal with THIS!!

Skoda's vs BMW E21's vs E90's vs CORR Trucks vs C6 NAGT Racing vette's vs Miata MX-5's vs Legends Cars vs Lotus Europa's vs EWOR Dirt Carts vs Panoz La Mans Cars vs Stock Supra's vs Porsche Bi-Turbo's!!

You have to also take into account the aggression settings. At 120% they will go into harms way to get ahead. There is no common sweet spot either you have to find it per mod.