[WIP] Queensland Raceways Track Pack

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Mike Cantwell, May 30, 2012.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi Guys,

Well, I have started from scratch with Lakeside. It will be a combo of brand new terrain and the old track. There is so little objects in the 1960s version, so this should be quite OK to build.

It is done in Max, using a topo map from 1995. here is a screen shot. It also uses a lot less polys.

The reason is that I think it is easier to adjust the terrain in a new Max mesh than the old Bob's Track Builder. I will also release the 2012 version as well in both rFactor 1 and 2. See how we go!!

2. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

HI guys.

I have finally got both Lakeside tracks and Queensland track in RF2. Really happy with Lakeside, QLD raceway crashed so I removed all the objects and loaded one by one to find the culprit. What I can do is export from 3D max and build from there. I used the new
    3DSimEd program. Cost nearly $50!

Screen shots soon :)

3. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Can't wait!

5. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

6. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Threads should now be merged if all went well :) .

7. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi Guys.

I have QLD working well but the track is yellow and also the cement and sand traps. No idea why, looks perfect in 3DSimEd.

I am also smoothing the corners so they are less jaggy. That is working well.

Here is a peak of QLD and Lakeside.

By the way, I have added bumps into the QLD track. Those if you that know the track know that before the resurface last year, it was extremely rough and the bumps cuased the imfamous Mini crash. The car left the road under braking, so bad were the bumps. I have the bumps but less rough.

View attachment 5817 View attachment 5818

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  8. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

I think thats because the texture has to be set at road shader to diffuse .. but someone can correct me if i'm wrong

and the sand trap has to be set to sand traps

I think you'll then find that extra textures will have to be added to get the coluor back (secondary) like asphalt_multi , track_nom_ , pebbles X2 and Asphalt_spec race groove , these are what I've used but others name them different open up a scn in simed and check out the texture settings

then all GMT and textures must be exported again

And thennnnnnnnnn all road shader 2 diffuse objects have to be renamed with racegroove_ on the front of them and the same in the scn and something about adding Deformable=True added to "Instance"

sandtraps may also need some secondary textures

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  9. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

BTW cant wait :)

10. Ash74

Ash74 Registered

Its because other materials attached to the road. U will need to separate the other materials from the road and save as another object more detail in this post by Spaskis.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...s-from-rFactor-to-rFactor2-with-3dsimed/page2

11. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Yep. You are right about the other objects. I will isolate the road and the other bits and try again.

Lakeside's road is isolated. No issue.

12. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Great stuff Mike really looking forward to these :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
  13. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

OK. When I did QLD Raceway in Bob's Track Builder, the straights were, well, not straight. So I am using an unconventional method of making the bit true.

I am using a long box like a straight edge, joined the track and terrain as one, and moving each vertex one by one to set them true.

The bumps are in, and I will smooth the curves out as well, and rebuild the ripple strips. The AI do not like them, so I will reduce the hieght and dimensions. I measured the real ones when the last photos were taken. I will post some shots of the real track so you who do not know it can see what I am doing.

I am also rebuilding the parking area, the main entrance and the drift area too (that grey are in the top left corner) Any guys that like drifting may like that.

View attachment 5866

14. mianiak

mianiak Registered

This might help http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/straighten-edges-in-screen-view

There is a few other ways to do it too, using Select and Non Uniform Scale. First part of the vid shows it as if it was square to the world axis, second part, using a script to align an edge to the viewport and doing it in screen mode.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/viewport-align

15. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Well, after black outs and losing info etc over the lasr day or so, I have actually got some progress to report, and real road seams to be working with the groove showing and looking quite good.

Not sure what grass to use, but will cross that bridge when I get to it.

View attachment 5887

16. ADUBZ

ADUBZ Registered

Thanks very much Mike for bringing my home tracks to rF2, how are you guys going for water levels? It's still creeping up where I am (I live 500m from the Logan River).

17. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Wow. I heard that parts of Logan were evacuated today? (30/01) Hope you guys were OK.

I have a screenshot od QLD. Got the race groove working. Now I can do the track textures and tidy up the curves a bit too.

What do you think of the grass? Not sure if I want to do the hi-res photo background.......

View attachment 5923

18. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Mike, why wouldn't you try hi-res background? I think we have a few track builders using those now.
    Just wondering.

19. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

If I can get it looking OK I will use a hi-res background. I am sorting the mesh out and starting to do the sponsors signs now. Nearly all of them are different from the time I photographed the original photos. This will be how the track looked in mid 2012.

20. BitRusty

BitRusty Registered

looking forward to these! :)