Released Q2 Update and DLC Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, May 9, 2022.

1. Havner

Havner Registered

Neither do I, but they could be at least honest about that. Instead they say/suggest something completely opposite. And at this point I don't even know as a consumer. Are they lying or is the engine simply still buggy?

Dady Cairo likes this.
  2. dazzer

dazzer Registered

More than a bug, this must be caused as the sound effects were played in a very old fashioned way, obviously this clashes with the new engine.
    For now I have only been able to solve it by lowering almost all the sound effects. But obviously this will vary depending on the mod and or dlc since as I said before not everyone uses the sound samples in the same frequencies or same channels, I have come across mods that use mixed files between stereo and mono, all this disorder can cause the problem What are you seeing, at least that is my theory according to what I have seen and tested in devmode

3. Neil Tyler

Neil Tyler Registered

Hi,
    I don't know if this is the right thread for reporting issues with the Q2 update, so apologies in advance:
    Since the update on Monday, when I host an online race, all the cars of the AI and the other players disapear as soon as I try to enter the server. The server still list them as being in the game, but no cars are visible on track for me or any of the other racers.

There is a high-pitched squealing noise (think dial-up modem, or Comadore 64 game loading from a tape deck if you are old enough) when the cars (AI and player) are loading from a dedicated server.

Anyone else having these issues?

4. Luprosx

Luprosx Registered

Yes, great Q2 update.
    Tracks and cars pack fully ok.
    The only thing that sucks is the sound problem with different mod cars.
    Some have the good onboard sound, others the very quiet dull.
    The mod groups have to improve that, otherwise it won't work.
    It's just a shame because whenever they improve something, some other things don't work the way they used to.
    Well, let's just wait for improvement!

avenger82 likes this.
  5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Any response from Studio397 about AI sound being so low?

Dady Cairo likes this.
  6. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

Can we no longer move the camera freely with mouse?
    It's amazing how every time something is added to the game a previous thing is damaged

Dady Cairo likes this.
  7. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

I think I've only seen 3 people even mention it, everyone else seems to be praising the new sound.
    Maybe we have a bug. It's so weird, in the RC I could tell what side cars were approaching on by the sound alone, was pretty hyped.

Regards.

Dady Cairo likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Old sound engine, Max 64 channels, new sound engine , max 256 channels. (SOME of those will be generic sounds for every car like rocks and stones making noise if you run off track, some will be mostly generic incar sounds like gears and shifter noises. But most cars currently have stereo sounds as a default while the new system takes mono sounds and positions them. Talk to @Frederick Alonso. He seems to be well versed in sound editing and he might add some clarity. The end result, you cannot take a 10 year old sound engine and expect it to play nice with a much more modern module. You CAN try and balance some things, but others will need manual adjusting.
    Oh, and btw, as far as backward compatibility goes....DX9 anyone? 32bit?

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  9. Maiki0767

Maiki0767 Registered

I have the same problem with IR18 and Formula Pro

10. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

Do you have a mod with a skin pack made prior to the update? Or is it in the previous version? If so, the changes will not work

Maiki0767 likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Your cars haven't updated. Unsubscribe to both, then exit and restart rF2. The new versions will download, you get the shifting, sounds, sparks, grey rainspray etc etc. Correct version # for rFPro is v1.19 & the IR 18 is v1.43.

Maiki0767 likes this.
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you have the new camera controls assigned the mouse won't do anything in freelook. It's either mouse OR controller/keys.

Presumably this avoids accidental mouse movements.

MiguelVallejo likes this.
  13. Lars

Lars Registered

Hi Neil,

today i have had the same issue with disappearing AI etc. and was almost getting mad., then i realized the network settings in my game (client) have been set down to 126kbps dl and upload (who needs such connection speeds??) due to the update! so i have raised this to about 6 and 3 MBit and everything was fine!..

cheers
    Lars

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  14. Lars

Lars Registered

Had an issue (?) today with indycar and push to pass at LongBeach. It was only working at the beginning of the race and stopped working for me and another client after about 15 minutes even though it shows about 120 sec left .....my bro had about 80 sec left... ?! is it somehow adjusted to the race length (42 laps) ...?

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

might be on to something, I ran a practice session at Portland, P2P said I had 150 seconds, it would run for 20 seconds each time no matter when I applied the brakes(or at least the P2P message took 20 seconds to say it's was off. But after 120 of those 150seconds, it just stopped responding. 30 seconds left, no more P2P.

16. Hinyaldee

Hinyaldee Registered

I tried to adjust those sliders but to no avail. It might have come from the mod. I will try another one to see

17. Binny

Binny Guest

Forget the comparisons. You have posted the info i needed to keep having a break from RF2 the optimization is still not any better.

darkojovanoski1986 likes this.
  18. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Both @davehenrie and @juanchioooo are onto the solution here.

In the first case, you may still have the old version (1.25) installed, and a car of that version selected as your car to drive; if you go into your Opponents list in single player you may see two entries for a given car, e.g. the #06, with 2 different version numbers. The version 1.43 does work. One possible reason for the old version still being on your system, is that it is being referenced by another mod (skin pack, maybe) or also from you having subscribed to the Competition System Indy Open series in the past season/quarter. Davehenrie gives you the link for how to find the cars and unsubscribe from the Workshop. The exact same approach can be taken to unsubscribe from the CS series, which you find an entry called "CS Indy Open" or similar in the list of content subscribed to from the Workshop (because that's what happens when you register for a series in the CS, in the background). Just remove that subscription as well, and restart. You may have to both restart Steam and the game multiple times before it all gets straightened out and everything updated.

Maiki0767 and juanchioooo like this.
  19. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Instead of accusing people of lying, I suggest you actually look into the matter or, well, ask someone.
    The sound engine is in fact backwards compatible, but it is different. All the previously documented API is fully functional, except some elements were ignored in the old engine. The new engine can't ignore them by design. By that I mean, now the actual position of sounds being played back matters. A lot. If a modder made a car that placed the engine inside the driver's head, previously they would've gotten away with it because the old engine simply didn't work correctly in that situation. It had no idea what a position was. Attenuation was basically linear, which is completely wrong. The new one does all of this correctly - so the content suddenly doesn't sound exactly the same anymore. Additionally, it also mixes every effect spatially, rather than just playing it on the front left and front right speakers as the old engine did, which was the whole reason we made a new one in the first place.

There is no way to make this specific edge case work. It's a lack of information. The content has to be updated in that case. However, it's actually quite uncommon for it to break completely. So far, no example was found in the wild. More commonly the mixes were simply made for an incorrect attenuation curve, using completely arbitrary settings in the sound settings menu. Now that it is corrected, automatically adjusting the mixes is not possible because the information which settings they were mixed for is simply lacking. Hence the legacy sliders exist.

Previously, those sliders didn't matter much. All sounds were mixed to clipping range (literally) and became one large compressed mess of loudness. This is no longer the case, so you hear subtle differences. This is by design, but shows issues with previous mixes more than the old engine did. Which is the whole point. If you wish to get the old sound back, feel free to just put a filter over the game's output that amplifies the sound to the point of clipping. You'll get a pretty similar experience then.

Either way, use the legacy sliders until mods get updated. We've added those purely because we knew especially 3rd party cars would not follow general guidelines and thus sound more different from what they used to sound like than our own content, and we wanted to make sure players can adjust it a little.

We've gone huge steps to make sure all existing content sounds as you would expect. That doesn't mean it sounds the same as before. If it did, why would we even develop a new engine in the first place? But it does mean that we did extensive work implementing features such as cockpit raytracing just to make sure all effects suit their cars well. If you don't like how it sounds, there will always be a build with the old sound engine on steam and no one's stopping you from just using that. Going forward, all new content will use the new system, documentation will be released etc. This new content obviously requires the new engine, but it's also mixed specifically for that, so there won't be any issues.

That said lots of people enjoy the new sound engine. Everyone has different opinions, and no big release can please everyone.

For example, legacy content's externals used to be much louder to the point where you could barely hear your own car when several other cars were around you. So we toned it down. Which means you only hear them when they're up close, which is more correct but ultimately limited by how the content had to be built.
    Still better than the old engine which straight up had no idea where to place these sounds so it just played them ontop of your own, coming from the front speakers specifically, not attenuated correctly.

Also, for the record, we could've just gone and ignored any old content. Would've saved us like 6 months of work too. But seemingly many players enjoy using that with the new engine. So I'm happy we invested the time and money to make that happen.

tl;dr:
    You can just use an old build for old mods. That's why they're still around. New mods, that require new builds, will be updated appropriately anyway. Old mods generally should work fine but may need small tweaks to ingame settings unless they were built completely wrong and relied on issues with the old engine in order to not sound "wrong".

Oh, and by the way, the only reason I'm actually here is because I've received complaints about a user being toxic in this thread. I couldn't find anyone else accusing people of lying in here, so presumably those complaints referred to you. I hope all your questions have been aswered by this "lying developer", and now that there's nothing to complain about anymore, please calm down a little. It's not doing yourself or anyone else any favours, and won't change anything for the better either.

ir Sindaco, Filip, tiffarno and 15 others like this.
  20. Havner

Havner Registered

I did ask. One the first page. Just nobody bothered to answer.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. Yes, it answers all my questions.

I did not accuse anyone of lying, just asked what is the truth here. If you actually had some community managers that should be on top of such things there would be no issue. But the lack of communication doesn't really help.

It's actually pretty sad that you need to approach "toxic levels" to get some answers here. For things that should've been described up front in the first place for such a drastic changes.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    Corgan, Mibrandt, Dady Cairo and 2 others like this.