PT-1 Pedal Set - Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by GTFREAK, Nov 18, 2013.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Here's a question for you guys,

How wide should the mounting plate be? Trying to get a feel for what the "average" is.

I'd like to hear some exact numbers, if possible. Inches would be better than millimeters.

Thanks!

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I guess, take the width of the G27 Pedals, use the same mounting holes and you`re safe ;)

3. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

So far, we've seen numbers that are basically the same as what we were going to do anyway ;-)

Our mounting holes will match the CSP's. Most rigs these days have mounting holes for G27, Thrustmaster, and CSP. As long as we have mounting holes for at least one of those, we should be good.

We've had a lot of suggestions for different designs, including the above design by wgeuze. The only problem with that sort of design is that not everyone would be able to use it. The bottom line is, everyone
    is different, which means we all have different needs and desires. For example, the design by wgeuze was perfect for him. It might not work for someone else.

What we tried to come up with was a single unit that could be placed by itself onto any surface, including any surface that has mounting holes for the CSP's.

We aren't finished with our design, and therefore it may not be available right away. We'll continue to do some research and think about it some more before moving forward. The last
    thing we want to do is rush into it. We'd like to take our time, make sure the material is suitable for certain forces, check wear and tear after months of use, and just get a general
    feel for how it functions. We did this with our pedals, and our pedals today look nothing like our original designs.

On a side note:

The "Tilton" style pedal faces will be available on Day 1 ;-)

4. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I think it's smart not to push something you're not entirely sure of. It might also be worth your while to see when the PT-1
    launches, what type of mounting solutions your customers will find out for themselves and to what types of rigs they are bolting
    these to :)

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hmmmm, wich Pedals are expected, to be an object of replacement first? The CSP`s may not, or only, if they`re broken. The Thrustmaster Pedals could be the same. When you read around the simracing forums, the most trouble people have with the Pots of the G27 Pedals. Anyway, it couldn`t be a big problem, to make the mounting holes for all three models? Just from the point of sales :D

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

You might also wonder, who doesn't have a customized rig already when ordering these pedals? Some console racer with a playseat isn't going to be among your customers I reckon. Might be useful to do a survey among the pre-order people, who knows how it can help you in your decision making :)

7. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

You're absolutely correct. There are going to be people that won't be able to use the mounting plate. Again, we go back to not being able to satisfy everyone.

As far as making holes for the G27, we haven't decided yet. It really depends on how they interfere with existing holes/slots. If the holes are in the same place as the slots for adjustment, the slots win that argument ;-)

We're going to send out a mass email asking people what rig they use, if any.

8. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys,

We have now completed the assembly and wiring for each pedal set. We are now moving on to the testing phase. Each set of pedals will be tested with their circuit board.

Once testing has completed, we'll be announcing a release date.

At this time, we do not have any estimates on how long the testing phase will take. There are a number of tests that we have lined up in order to ensure the pedals work properly . Testing each pedal set will certainly take some time, but we don't think it will take as long as the assembly phase. During assembly, we ran into multiple issues, and that really set us back. That didn't help us much, but during assembly we did perform individual tests on each pedal. This will help speed up the testing process.

I just wanted to give you guys an update.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Didn't you promise assembly videos a while back? ;)

10. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

We're going to be doing them shortly. We wanted to wait until the assembly process had been completed. That's now completed, and we're going to be working on those videos next.

As to when those videos might be out, we don't know yet. I would say that one day you're just going to see a new post with a video or two. We'll probably take it one at a time. For instance, we'll do the throttle video first, release it, then work on the brake... and so on.

11. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Just wanted to give you guys a tiny update here.

We're currently working on the "Adjustments" series of videos. Right now, we're working on the throttle pedal. After that's completed, we'll be moving on to the brake pedal, and then finally the clutch.

Right now, I'm currently editing some footage that we shot this morning and this afternoon. In order to be as detailed as possible, there needs to be some "text" edits. This takes a bit of extra work, but nothing out of the ordinary for me ;-)

We're getting close, guys. Just bare with us a little while longer.

And no, I don't have a release date in mind yet. Sorry :(

On a side note, we are going to sell the curved pedal faces when the pedals go live. These curved pedal faces are made from black ABS plastic. They are extremely tough, durable, and feel awesome! We've decided on a price of $39 (+S&H) , and they will come as a set of 3. We hope you'll like them! We should have a picture up on the website within a few days.

12. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys,

We wanted to reach out to the community regarding an issue related to certain email addresses. We recently discovered this issue, and we wanted to give you a heads up.

If you registered on our website using a "Hotmail" email address, you may not receive emails sent directly from our website. This isn't an issue with our website, but rather an issue with Hotmail itself. We've had certain cases where emails were sent successfully according to our logs, but were never received.

If you did register on our website using a Hotmail email address, we suggest switching to another service, or you may not receive any emails containing important information, including release dates. This does mean that you will have to change the email address that you registered with. Doing so is pretty simple.

Just follow these easy steps:

1) Log into your account at http://www.protosimtech.com
    2) Once you've logged in, navigate to your profile page
    3) Navigate to the email box, type in your new email address
    4) Hit the "submit" button at the bottom
    5) You're done!

If you want to verify that the new email address works, log out of your account, then log back in using the new email address. If the process was successful, you should now be logged in.

If you're using any other email service, such as gmail, or your ISP assigned email address, there's no need to go through this process.

If you have any technical questions regarding this issue, I'm sure Shawn Purdy (Our web developer) would be happy to answer them.

Thanks!

13. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys,

ProtoSimTech has just launched it's very own Facebook page. This will give us the opportunity to reach a much wider audience. When we have something to announce, we'll make sure to post it on our FB page, as well as the usual places, including Twitter and all of the various sim racing related forums around the net. We might even use FB to post little tidbits of info from time to time.

Head over and check out our FB page, and let us know what you think!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Protosimtech/1113659788651573

14. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

[​IMG]

Hey guys, this is the announcement that you've all been waiting for.

The PT-1 Pedal set will be released on June 1st 2015 at 12 noon EDT. Once that date arrives, we will be throwing the switch on our website, and these pedals will be available for immediate purchase.

A few reminders:

1) Make sure that you register on our website in order to make the checkout process a lot smoother (you need to register in order to purchase our products)
    2) The curved pedal faces will also be available once the pedals are released. You will be able to purchase them at the same time.
    3) Make sure that you read the Terms of Service and warranty carefully. You will have to agree to these when you check out.
    4) The PT-1 pedal set will be limited to 1 set per customer. No exceptions.

PT-1 Pedal set Features:

● Aluminum and Stainless Steel Construction
    ● 50KG Load Cell – Brake Pedal
    ● Industrial Quality Potentiometers (rated for millions of turns) – Throttle and Clutch Pedals
    ● Multiple Pedal Face Positions
    ● Adjustable Pedal Height
    ● Adjustable Spring Tension
    ● Adjustable Pedal Travel
    ● Adjustable Potentiometer Travel
    ● Adjustable Clutch “Feel”
    ● Can Be Inverted or Placed Right Side Up (with each pedal separately)
    ● Many More...

We are very proud of what we've accomplished over the past 3 years. Even though we've had multiple setbacks, and things haven't gone as smoothly as we would have liked, we took that extra time to improve upon things that we felt warranted improvement. We've said this multiple times, but it's always better to take the time to get things right. We've only got one shot at making a good impression with the public, and even though our pedals aren't 100% perfect (nothing in this world is), we now feel that they're ready to finally find their new homes.

This is our very first product. We don't have a wealth of experience in the areas of business or manufacturing. With that said, we've tried to do our best to give you a product that is reliable, durable, and adjustable in many different ways. We hope that our customers will enjoy our products for as long as they own them.

Along with this announcement, we've finally released the "Adjustment" series of videos. We've developed a separate page on our website called "PT-1 Adjustments", which can be found by mousing over the "PST" menu item at the top of our homepage and choosing "PT-1 Adjustments" from the drop-down menu. On this page you will find three separate videos, each discussing a different pedal. We have also provided time-stamps that should allow you to find the section you are most interested in.

We created these videos for the sole purpose of helping the public make adjustments to their pedals. We have tried to be as detailed as possible, but that doesn't mean that we haven't left something out. If you find that there is something you do not understand, or you'd like for us to make a notation at some point in the video, please let us know. We want to be sure that you have as much information as possible.

On a more personal note, I would like to thank a few people:

First and foremost, I'd like to thank my father for sticking with me throughout some of the most difficult times these past three years. He has not only been responsible for most of the financial support, but has supported any and all ideas surrounding this project. Without him, none of this would have been possible. Thanks, dad.

I also want to throw out a special thanks to Martin Enzmann ( aka - "The Details Man"), our beta tester. We really struck gold with Martin. When I first contacted Martin last spring, I had no idea how valuable he would ultimately turn out to be. His feedback regarding the design and functionality of our prototype pedals, has helped us to make improvements on certain mechanical portions of our PT-1 pedal set. We never expected the level of detailed feedback that Martin would eventually give us. On top of that, he has become a good friend. Thank you, Martin.

And last, I'd like to thank the community for all of the kind words of encouragement. We started our YouTube channel back in November of 2013. After posting the very first video in the iRacing forums, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. I'm very grateful to be a part of this community, and no matter what the public thinks of our pedal set, I'm certain I always will be.

A few others I'd like to say "Thank you" to:

Slaven Corluka (my old modding buddy)
    Darin Gangi (For allowing us to promote ourselves in the ISR forums)
    All my fellow members of Virtua_LM (thanks for giving my 3D skills a shot!)
    Shaun Cole (thanks for the article last summer!)
    Shawn Purdy (one hellavu web developer ;-) )
    DSD (for the circuit boards)

Chris Smith - Co-Founder - ProtoSimTech
    http://www.protosimtech.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2015
  15. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

congratulations and good luck! :)

16. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Thanks!

17. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys, yesterday we released the "Adjustment" series of videos. We hope they are helpful. Enjoy!

18. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Nice interview with Barry!

19. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Thank you!

I guess I should have posted it here ;-)

20. coops

coops Banned

John go for it