PT-1 Pedal Set - Discussion

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by GTFREAK, Nov 18, 2013.

1. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys,

I managed to get some more testing in this afternoon, so I figured I would go ahead and get it on camera. This video demonstrates how much travel the brake pedal has in a real world environment. A couple of people have commented that the brake pedal may have a bit too much travel. We hope this will alleviate some of those concerns.

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I think you really underestimate how hard you actually push with your foot!

Yeah I can see different bushings would give you a different result and may also shorten travel a fair bit. A "real world" application video would very nice indeed, especially for people who are riding the fence
    on purchasing this for their rig, I'm sure there are still questions for them to be answered as well (just as with the mysterious mounting plate on the throttle pedal). Would be nice to see :)

edit
    wow that is weird I didn't see the new video until after I posted this reply, forget there was another page I guess!

edit2:
    That does look much better in practical use, especially suits the car driven I think. For openwheelers though it might be worth finding a stiffer bushing where you can supply
    two bushings (or three) to suit people's needs in terms of stiffness (soft/medium/hard). Some brake pedals felt like kicking a wall at times, but they sure as heck worked great for the virtual car they
    were driven with. Thanks for doing this video, again, looks really good! In one of bangers videos he is reviewing a Emery modified Tilton set which uses a combination of bushings to get different while
    while leaving the rest stock, there probably are the same possibilities for this brake pedal as well.

Not trying to nag or anything, I just think people who are going to purchase these pedals want to be able to tweak them 100% to their liking, and so far I think that will be
    very much possible :)

nice driving by the way :)

edit3:
    Although I think the secondary spring is a great feature, which I haven't seen on other pedals, in my opinionl it's more fit for road cars. For purpose built racecars or openwheelers,
    I don't know it's applicable, so an option for people to 'fix' the secondary spring would be nice as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  3. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I don't think we mentioned this in any of the videos, but there is a spacer at the end of the brake pedal rod (the rod that goes from the tie rod to the back plate - through the bushings and spring) that you can remove to eliminate that spring altogether. We'll be sure to show that in an upcoming video.

Also, we're thinking of offering different bushings for different brake tensions. Also, don't forget, you can adjust the tension of the brake just like you can with the throttle :)

4. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys,

We've finally reached a milestone in our development process. We now have all three working pedal prototypes! In this video we showcase our new clutch pedal design. It has some interesting mechanics, and we hope you like the design. It has a good firm feel at the top of the stroke and it gets lighter as you push further down, which is what you want in a clutch pedal. Enjoy the video!

PICTURES REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  5. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Pictures removed

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I really dig the secondary lever action going on there, seems really to work well already when you push it just with your hands :)

7. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Yes, it does work quite well. We're still tweaking things a bit. We're testing different positions to make sure it functions properly.

The only real side effect of having this mechanism attached is that it's a little more difficult to make a pedal arm angle adjustment. If you adjust the angle so that the arm is at more of an angle, you'll lose some travel. However, this doesn't really hinder the operation of the clutch itself. You merely have to be careful as to what angle the pedal arm is adjusted. If you adjust it too far forward, the clutch mechanism won't work as intended. It simply won't reach the "tipping point" where you get that lighter feeling. However, we don't feel that this will be a deal breaker in any way. We're going to be making the holes into "slots" so that you can make minor adjustments when needed. You'll just have to be sure that you tighten the bolts down tight enough so they don't slip. We'll be producing some very highly detailed instructions that will be shipped with the pedals so you get a better understanding of how to adjust things, and what everything does.

Before I forget, we're going to be announcing our pricing structure very soon ;)

8. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Just to give all of you an update on what's happening...

We're going to be announcing something fairly big within the next few weeks. Until that time, we're going to concentrate on testing, testing, and more testing. And we'll put out a few videos that highlight that testing.

I just want to say thank you to all of you that have participated in this thread, given us such great feedback, and have helped us to develop our upcoming pedal set. It hasn't been an easy road, and we've had our fair share of adversity along the way. That said, we've come quite a long way since October of 2013, and we're honored to have had the opportunity to show all of you what went into making these pedals.

Sincerely,

Chris Smith - Co-Founder -
    [​IMG]

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

:cool: I have followed your project from the beginning and I'm really happy for you and wish you a big succes! I don't know if I will make these pedals mine, because I have already the G27 pedals modded(SST brakes and another mod for the accelerator pedal) but who knows!

10. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

We hope that the price will help a lot of people make that same decision.

11. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Today we're testing the pedals again. This is going to be an ongoing series. We have weeks and weeks of testing still to do, and we'll try to show you as much as we possibly can. We've even chosen a beta tester so that we can get some feedback from an outside source. We'll have more details about that later, but for now, just enjoy the testing :)

12. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys, we had a couple of requests to do an actual race, so I managed to get some footage of a race that took place this afternoon. I'm not the fastest driver out there, but I know my way around Summit Point. My lap times aren't the greatest. Still, my PB is 125.770. That's not too terrible :) Enjoy the video!

13. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys, this is yet another race with our new pedals. This time I managed to get second place. So far, I'd have to say that I'm doing quite well in this series. We'll see how well I do when I start getting into races with the guys with a higher irating. We'll see. Enjoy the video!

14. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys, this is yet another testing video. This is the Mazda cup at LRP. This time, I happen to win the race, but not without some incidents. The two cars in front of me were having a real scrap, and I managed to get around one of them cleanly. The other car and I had an incident going into a turn and I really screwed up. I was trying to brake hard, and my car almost pushed him off the road. I apologized for it immediately afterwards, twice. However, there were some words that were said by some other drivers, and I decided to black that out as to not call out anyone.

It was a low percentage move on my part, and I should have waited until the front straight to make a move. Lesson learned.

Anyhow, I had some problems with rendering, so the video is a bit choppy. I apologize for that. Hopefully the next video doesn't have these issues. Enjoy :)

15. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

16. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys, today we're testing out Assetto Corsa. This is the first time we've tested this sim with our pedals, and I have to say, I'm really starting to like this sim. I think the FFB still needs a bit of work, though. It feels a bit flat in the front end. It seems to me that rFactor 2 really nails front end feedback. You can really feel what the front suspension is doing. In Assetto Corsa, it just feels like there's no feedback coming from the front suspension at all.

It could be my settings, or it could be the sim itself. All that said, Assetto Corsa is certainly a strong racing sim. Once it works out the multiplayer issues, I think this will be a great addition to the sim racing family.

17. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

Hey guys, today we get a chance to check out Project CARS. The Zakspeed Ford Capri is probably one of my all time favorite cars, and I wanted to test it out in this sim. It's an absolute blast to drive, but it's a little scary :)

Nevertheless, I managed to do a few laps around "The Green Hell". It was a lot of fun. Enjoy!

18. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

[​IMG]

Official Press Release 6-28-2014

ProtoSimTech unveils the PT-1 Pedal set for serious sim racers!

Today, ProtoSimTech has unveiled it's very first sim racing pedal set, nicknamed “PT-1”. ProtoSimTech's first sim racing product comes

with loads of features and tons of adjustability that allows you to tailor the set to any specific driving style.

To be clear, these pedals are not your average "set them down and start racing" pedals. These will require a significant time investment in order to
    obtain your perfect driving style. If you like slapping a set of pedals down and hitting the track, these pedals might not be for you. However, we hope that
    you give them a shot. We feel that you won't be disappointed!

[​IMG]

Features

● Powder Coated Finish
    ● Aluminum and Stainless Steel Construction
    ● 50KG Load Cell – Brake Pedal
    ● Industrial Quality Potentiometers (rated for millions of turns) – Throttle and Clutch Pedals
    ● Multiple Pedal Face Positions
    ● Adjustable Pedal Height
    ● Adjustable Spring Tension
    ● Adjustable Pedal Travel
    ● Adjustable Potentiometer Travel
    ● Adjustable Clutch “Feel”
    ● Can Be Inverted or Placed Right Side Up (with each pedal separately)
    ● Many More...

For more features and technical information, visit our website at http://www.protosimtech.com

Pricing Structure and Available Options

These pedals will be available in two different formats with different prices for each format

Two Pedal Set – Throttle and Brake - $319*
    Three Pedal Set – Throttle, Brake, and Clutch - $379*

* + Shipping and Handling

Each set of pedals will include all the necessary hardware needed to make adjustments to each pedal. An extra hard brake bushing

will also be included for those that want a much harder brake feeling. ProtoSimTech will also be including instructional videos filled with information

on how to make adjustments to your pedals, and how to properly care for them.

Release Date

This pedal set will be available for pre-order this fall. No official release date has been set. Be sure to check out www.protosimtech.com for information

regarding an official release date. The official release date will be posted on the website when one has been determined.

(We are shooting for October)

Pre-Ordering

Pre-Orders will be limited to a total of 20 complete pedal sets, and they will be first come, first serve. This limit is to help ensure that we are able to build

all 20 complete sets within a reasonable time frame. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Pre-orders will only be open for a short period

of time (TBA). Once the orders have hit the 20 set mark, no more ordering will be possible.

After all 20 pedal sets have been built, tested and then shipped, we will open up our ordering process for another batch of 20 pedal sets. Check out our

website at www.protosimtech.com for information on why we are building them in batches of 20.

Lead Times

Lead times will be approximately 8-10 weeks. While this may seem like an unusually long period of time, we are a small operation, and we would like to

ensure that each pedal set matches the quality that you expect out of a sim racing product. Over time, these lead times will grow shorter.

Closing Statement

ProtoSimTech was started in May of 2012. It originally began as a quest to build a set of pedals that could be tailored to any driving style. Along the way, it quickly

became apparent that this venture was more than just a passing interest, and ProtoSimTech was born.

Christopher Smith, Co-Founder of ProtoSimTech, has been hard at work designing, building, testing, and making critical changes to their first sim racing

product, for the past two years. Recently, in October of 2013, Chris put together a series of videos documenting the entire process on YouTube. You can head over

to ProtoSimTech's YouTube channel and check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProtoSimTechnologies

For more high res images, videos, and tons of extra information about these awesome pedals, head over to ProtoSimTech's website at:

http://www.protosimtech.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  19. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

So these are all hand made by you and or your team in the U.S? If so that's a screaming deal on these pedals.

20. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

At the moment, these are hand made. However, when we start to sell them, all of the aluminum pieces will be cut using a CNC machine. They will be assembled by hand, though.