Proper headlight flash for endurance cars

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Nicolas Hillebrand, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Nicolas Hillebrand

Nicolas Hillebrand Member

So far we only had turning the headlights on and off again, but since we are even getting modern top notch LMP2 and GTE cars, I think it would be a cool feature to have the proper flash for the GT3/GTE/LMP cars in the game.

It's not visible that well from the inside view, but it's a huge brightness difference in the mirrors of other cars or generally the exterior of the car

2. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

+1!
    Also as it is now, is easy to forgot to turning them on after some flashes, and to get an instant DQ. When i race in the night i always flash with a huge amount of fear lol.

Mhites likes this.
  3. benborp

benborp Registered

I assign a standard keyboard key on the rF2 controls page to headlights.

I then map an off wheel controller button to this keyboard press. This gives me a headlights on/off switch.

Then I map one of the wheel buttons to a recorded sequence of key presses that give a dash dash dot dot pattern of headlight flashes. This means the headlights always return to the state that I chose originally, plus I can edit the sequence to comply with the rules of whatever series I am racing in and not worry about penalties or game DQs.

Josh Walsh and Daniele Vidimari like this.
  4. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

That's cool! Are you using an app to do this?

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I did that too long ago with G-Hotkey, problem is that if there is any skipped frame at the time the script runs the light may not go back to the state it was when you used it

6. benborp

benborp Registered

I've used Logitech and Saitek profilers.
    I make sure to use scripts that use timed key presses and pauses rather than instantaneous key press actions - this makes the sequence very reliable and is far more practical for editing the command and making sure it does what you intended. I think I used one profiler in the past that was very sketchy unless key press timings were used so have got into the habit.

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Even if timed, if the game has a micro freeze that does not register the key imput it wont work, it's bad at night, better flash manually.
    Anyway OP is asking for a real flash, with or without scripts we dont have a real flash now, in real life they dont turn off the lights for that.

8. Rinussie

Rinussie Registered

I'm using xpadder.

its working perfect no problems at al

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  9. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

If your server admin set the track to not require headlights this would not be a problem.

But +1 for headlight flash

10. Florian Dubiel

Florian Dubiel Registered

It's a bit of unbelievable that rFactor2 has no headlights flash. I mean it's a racing Sim right? Instead of a headlight flash we have a horn and a music player. One might think that this is the future of European truck simulator we are talking here about rFactor2 lol this game will never be finished

11. lagg

lagg Registered

I hope you're right.
    The day that will be finished, will be dead.

12. Florian Dubiel

Florian Dubiel Registered

13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Blame ISI for the half arsed product. Not 397.

I'd also like a "flash left" and "flash right" option so the lapper can announce his intentions of which way he's going to go. I've seen many endurance streams where miscommunication results in a smash.

14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Wouldn't call it half arsed, more like rF2 was a tech demo just like rF1 and in these aspects they fullfill their tasks perfectly.
    I also heard ISI tried to operate without going into debt, that plays a big part in development I guess. Cant blame its owner for trying that, in the end we easily move to the next game, the dude would stay with a debt.

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

@The Iron Wolf 's shared memory includes the headlight state so it would be fairly easy to write a program that, having flashed the headlights, checked that they were back to the prior state.

16. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

would also be nice if the dash/buttons/wheel lit up when the headlights were on..

Kahel likes this.
  17. Darwin Jones

Darwin Jones Registered

+1.

This is a little feature i would love to have in the game. Especially within the new shader updates. Lightning brings way more immersion to a game, imho.

18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered