[REL] project_rF2 (realtime telemetry software)

Discussion in 'Other' started by nickcrete, Apr 22, 2016.

1. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Released 1.1.4. - small but interesting update for those that need to save and manipulate the received telemetry data.

* added telemetry save as .csv (per drive/lap/session)
    * added frames captured count boxes

Nearly a year from the last release i can now announce the next version of the live telemetry plugin for rFactor 2 !!

The project_rF2 beta 1.1.2. brings few fixes and updates of previous version but most important it includes the charts module, a tool the the user can use to create custom charts from any available data channel received from the vehicle !

Here is a screenshot example

The idea came to me when i checked a Sauber F1 youtube video called F1 telemetry for rookies

With this release the user can now create a similar environment and enjoy racing even if not in drivers' seat !

Here is the project_rF2 charts demonstration video

Few words for those that have not used it yet:

* Its a realtime telemetry software that sends vehicle telemetry & session's scoring data to a remote PC through INTERNET or ETHERNET.

* The data receiver (rfactor 2 user or not) can have all the data available with many different sets of tools.

* All the info are processed and displayed usually within a second.

* The user have access to simple vehicle data like tire pressures or advanced calculated race strategy info like laps to go regarding fuel and tires wear.

Due to the need of best software presentation i created a simple website where you can get all the info.

I added some in action screen shots so that everyone can see what it is and how it works:

1) A screen shot while setting up the environment.
    Includes a 1024x768 window of rfactor 2, manager's and driver's application ready to link (its spectator's mode but same goes for normal use without using driver's application of course)
    Before action starts

2) Qualifying action
    --> The rF2 window on the top right leaves enough room for many modules.
    --> "GPS" module to show vehicles' positions
    --> "Race info+" module to show session info
    --> "Timing+" module to show selected driver's timing
    --> "Live timing" module to show full grid timing info
    --> "Session timing" module to show per stint timing

Qualifying action

3) Race action.
    * Usually in races i need more modules especially when getting driver telemetry hence reducing the game window to 800x600 is sometimes required. This one is still 1024x768 cause its spectator's mode and i dont get telemetry data which has a big module.
    * The "Timing+" module is replaced by the myPitwall module which allows the user follows driver's pace-gap per sector compared to front and behind drivers.
    * The "Live timing" module is always needed. I usually lengthen the Pits area so i can check the Pit's status (see driver P17)
    * In this setup there is enough room even for TeamSpeak at the bottom right corner.

Race action

Synoptical race tool

Here is the official software website for download link.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    r00b Driver, DA, Erick3331 and 2 others like this.
  2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

TYVM. Good luck with it.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

3. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Looks good, but crashed as soon as the plugin got activated.

4. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Installed it to the correct folder ? bin64\plugins ? Have never had a crash report for this :S
    Can you send me the crash window screenshot ?

5. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Yep got it in the create directory. The crash window simply says rfactor2 is stopping. Would there be anything in the Log.txt file? I'll give it another try later, but as soon as I moved the plugin out of the plugin directory it stopped crashing. I'm using Windows 10 if that makes a difference.

6. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Yes, possible problem can be Windows 10, i have tested it working only for Windows 8.1, will fix it soon i believe.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2016
  7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for your plugin. Is there any plan, to use some widgets ingame, too? Like e.g. the track map (GPS)...

8. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Thank you, no, the software is mainly intended for use as pitwall application for managers.

I will focus on helping the manager decide the best strategy for his driver processing all those available data ;)

9. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Gave it another try today, but the rfactor 2 trace doesn't mention anything about the crash. I am running it at Barber Motorsports part using the indycar mod with the 2014 skinpack mod.

10. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Windows event viewer could certainly give some info for this, im also trying to update to windows 10 just in case.

11. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Nice plugin. Working ok in WIN 10 for me. IS the detail captured during the session saved for reviewing after the race?

12. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

No, not yet, in the todo list though :)

13. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

I removed the download link to the official site, now software is available at mediafire.

Also updated the executables and the plugin to their "release" version instead of the "debug" one.

Hopefully this time ISI will allow !

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for your reply. I was just thinking about the situation, that TrackMap seems not longer supported by his creator. Your plugin could be the successor of TM, if you would add in some needed ingame widgets. I could imagine, there are a lot of user around, who would donate for a project like this ;) Just a guess...

15. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Testing, can I transmit data to another computer (in the same LAN) which has not rF2 installed?

16. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Of course, thats the point, driver transmits telemetry to same or other PC, on LAN or on INTERNET using the IP even if the receiver has no installation of rFactor.

Im currently preparing a huge upgrade for this software, with fixes and many more options and info, will possibly release this month, meanwhile can get used to the program functions with this version ;)

* If you dont have rF2 installed you just cant take track and physics data from the mod files, the telemetry will work at any case !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  17. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Thank you very much!

I tried yesterday, you have a very nice concept there. I was running rF2 in a Windows 10 PC and receiving telemetry data in another Windows 8.0 Tablet. It worked at first attempt, very easy to connect. In my end I got the following setbacks:

a) The live race timing appears to refresh slowly, it would be possible to refresh only the data without a full table refresh?
    b) After some time I started to get a number of errors (abort or continue? - not sure if) which requires restart the manager program.
    c) Car panel is very laggy, the refresh of data is not enough to track what is happening with the driving in real-time.
    d) GPS shows the car positions but not the track layout

Other than that, I'm looking forward for your newer versions, very promising.

18. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

Thank you for the feedback. I would prefer if you tested in PC instead of tablet, its not tested outside PC environment.

a) Can not refresh only the data in live timing, it must be a problem caused by the tablet power, in my PC which can barely run rF2 it refreshes normally.
    b) I can not help with errors if i dont know how they were created, maybe PM me a shot with the error details.
    c) Should be a problem with tablet again.
    d) The track layout can be created and saved for future use by the car or loaded from the mod files. See the online guide i have for more info how to extract the track file from the mod. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CO2-NOsKSywzBYTDDrsyOsZkNQqXAMfhJOUeZm1yejw/edit?usp=sharing

I would suggest for full functionality test to run rF2 in window mod and much lower resolution than your screen, go to a race session and start with AI control.
    Then start the telemetry from same machine and check if gives same problems.

19. Woodee

Woodee Registered

This would be cool as an android app! :)

20. nickcrete

nickcrete Registered

New version released, updated first post !!