Project Cars 2 demo

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Seven Smiles, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered

I bought the game. It's cool to look at and it can be fun to mess around with. I couldn't get the FFB to feel right so I did a little research and, it turns out, some people with Fanatec wheels need to tweak a few things and/or use some custom files. It's a fun game to me now. rFactor 2 is still king.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I can't find a reason to play it again even if I wanted to, just to justify the money i paid for it.
    FFB is good but physics not really so the driving experience doesn't come near rF2.
    The tracks?....at least the real ones, have all of them in rF2 except for 2 or 3.
    Day/night transition.....available in rF2.
    Rain??.....more fulfilling in rF2 (and even more so after what's coming)
    It has a nice selection of cars but frustrating to race them as the AI is the worst i've seen in any sim and even after the patch looks like is one hit between many misses.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered

I'm not as frustrated because I perceive it as a game. rFactor 2 is the ultimate simulator in my opinion.

fsuarez79 likes this.
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

how is rain more fulfilling in rf2, many people have complained about how poor it is and it looks terrible atm.

5. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I've resigned myself from PC2, had enough, the Ai aren't up to many other sims on the market. Not to mention the AI unbalancing is frustrating to say the least. That said the handling and ffb is really not that bad... really.. I compared the DW12 at indy to rf2 and although its not RF2 its not a million miles away.

Anyway been having fun with Raceroom lately the ai are nearer to rf2 and i like the ffb in it., its a very immersive sim..

6. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered

The rain looks fantastic in PC2 but its effects are simulated better in RF2, I think. When you can floor it in the 488 GT3 in pouring rain in first gear... yeah... I don't own a 488 to compare it to but... In RF2, I have to gently squeeze in GT3 cars in the rain. That and short shift.

I like PC2 for goofing off. Drive around with idiotic AI in awesome environments. And then I do a real race in RF2.

7. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

What Ricardo said.

Visually, rain looks great in PCars2 but driving in it is much better simulated in rF2, this in part because physics of the cars are better.
    The AI in rain needs some work, but still less than in PCars2. I did a race in career mode weeks ago in Brno with rain in a Touring car and was passing GT3 cars as if they were driving VW Golfs, I mean, really?
    All those shiny puddles and perfect graphics are worthless if you can't have a proper race in a racing game. But Ricardo is right, maybe I should start looking at it as a game to goof around instead of a simulator.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. stonec

stonec Registered

Well the rain in rF2 is just less grip, there is no aquaplaning or uneven distribution of water on track, so in that sense it's very basic as well. pCars 2 I think has different grip in puddles, though it's hard to say when overall rain grip is so much exaggerated. Both games need to improve it.

9. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Right....even though with Real road, what makes it dynamic is when the track starts to dry up and you have different grip levels between the wet surface and the racing line, but yeah, more effects during full wet condition would be great, can't remember if this is being considered in the upcoming rain effects S397 is working on.

10. Ricardo

Ricardo Registered

The effects of rain are simplistic in RF2 but they are the most satisfactory to me. The PC2 car version of rain is beautiful but a joke in terms of physics. It's not even an attempt at simulation. They do a great job of creating an environment within which, if you're able to suspend criticism, you can convince yourself you're actually experiencing what they are depicting as it were in real life.

Rain is an illusion in PC2. Rain in RF2 is a real attempt to simulate it's characteristics but it is still a feature in its infancy. It's a great effort, so far, and I approve.

Look, I play PC2 like I play Sonic. For fun. Not because Sonic is real and well simulated in the game. ;-)

Seven Smiles and Emery like this.
  11. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Well, there's no offline championship in PCars2 for starters but they just implemented it for multiplayer. Offline I guess you could if you do it manually but not sure if opponents names are always the same or randomly selected, I'm not the best person to ask since I haven't spent much time in PCars2. Maybe someone else can chip in and confirm

EDIT: Now that I think about it, you probably can't do it offline. You can select up to 4 different types of classes for a race and the # of opponents but the game selects randomly the opponents' cars, so I doubt you'll end up racing the same cars/drivers on each race.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  12. Emery

Emery Registered

One of pCARS 2 quirks is that you can't pick & choose the cars in your race, only the roughly defined "class". So you'll end up with Porsche 962, Nissan R89C, Sauber C9, & Jaguar XJR-9 running together with their LM counterparts. Plus the Nissan GTP ZX-T. I've seen one server running them, but (in the server name) they ask that no one use the Nissan GTP ZX-T.

AI drivers are named after SMS employees. I've not bothered checking, but they probably aren't assigned the same car every session.

13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I've been testing again last nite. and for me the AI is just plain boring. It reminds me of ACs AI before stefano overhauled them. They dont fight each other that get stuck behind you. Did the Gts at COTA and it was just a line of 20 GTE cars..

It looked nice (with sun going down etc) but the experience is nothing to AMS, RF2 and RRE..! The AI unbalanced thing is annoying but its the same in rf2.. but we do have a specific AI level per track which helps. Thats what all sim games need Imo. I still think the ai performance isn't the same in the wet. So the wet ai level wont be on level to you in, as the dry race is.

Anyway its not bad... there just other sims to take my time up.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  14. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

We are spoiled here with rF2 AI as its the best on the market isn't it?

David O'Reilly and fsuarez79 like this.
  15. demerzel

demerzel Registered

AMS has far better and more interesting AI IMO.

McKiernan and vegaguy5555 like this.
  16. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Sorry no disrespect but massively disagree there matey.

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  17. demerzel

demerzel Registered

k

18. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I bought AMS but couldn't/didn't have time to get it going very well. Without VR it didn't hold my attention. I know I'm missing out on a great sim.

The three main sims that do hold my attention are rF2, AC and PC2. I find I can drive a car in any of them that leaves me uninterested but with the right cars is truly magical.

With three reinstall attempts with AC I had a different feel every time. Very strange I thought! The last install I noticed a heavier wheel and post proceeding works in VR along with more detail in general.

I did some comparisons with some cars in AC and PC2. I found the street cars fairly close now. The Le Ferrari had less traction even in PC2 and was more challenging.

Another improvement is a T70 rip for AC which was boring compared to rF2 before but now much closer. Car is all over the place simular to rF2. Braking is more defined as well.

I wonder if this can happen with other sims?

19. LokiD

LokiD Registered

20. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I honestly can't see no Sim with AI barely close to rF2. PC2 is a mess, AC is half baked, AMS is the old RF1 blind AIs with some tweaks, but they're far behind.