Project Cars 2 demo

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Seven Smiles, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

2. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Each """simulation""" should have a demo.

Two months ago I was so fed up with the disastrous performance of the RF2 graphics engine on my system that I tried after 12 years of rfactor and no other video games (of any type) Assetto Corsa that seemed the less unrealistic compared to RF2 (excluding iracing because when I buy something it must be mine ... logical).

To my knowledge there was no demo, so I downloaded the game in its entirety with all the DLC.

"Simulation" used 6-8 hours ("like a demo").

Having no demo, luckily I did not buy the game !

My criteria to define a simulation with "standards late 2017" not being reached at all (and very far), I was able to save ~ 50 euros. AC immediately uninstalled. Too bad because there were plenty of supercars (no supercars in rf2...).

CONCLUSION :

Demos are therefore essential.

On the other hand using the converted version of the Nordschliefe AC, I count bought AC + DLC Nordschleife, it seems to be the minimum (even if it would be theoretically always illegal).

3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

The traction is off on some cars. I don't like the vintage cars in PC2 but the street cars are pretty good.
    Tire selection is important in PC2.

I like it but then I like them all.:)

McKiernan likes this.
  4. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Registered

Full throttle around the whole track in thunderstorm.. Dream on there kiddo. pcars 2 feels a lot closer to Rfactors 2's physics than assetto corsa for example. Nothing can really beat rfactor 2 but if you can come close, you're in pretty good shape.

McKiernan likes this.
  5. Skan

Skan Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not much online racing for me

6. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Didn't play the demo but I own the game since release....wish i had refunded it tho.
    My opinion, the FFB is a step forward....more towards the direction of rF2 and AMS than AC, which in my eyes is a good thing but regarding physics, i agree with the OP, maybe not to that extent :D but you can get away with a lot more than in rF2, so physics to me is meh, I didn't see a lot of change vs PCars1 in that regard.

@Skan Man, I'm amazed you've done all your racing offline. The AI is hideous!!, which is why i've barely touched the game anymore, except for a few hotlapping sessions here and there. If the AI wasn't that bad i'd play it more often

7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Not exactly conclusive but here's video of a lap. There is no telemetry of the throttle but maybe you can infer from the revs that I'm mashing the throttle, certainly not "imagining there's a raw egg between my foot and the pedal"! See how after the last corner I drive along on the grass with my foot to the floor with no ill effects. This is with Driving Aids off after I spotted that "Authentic" has traction control, not that it made a lot of difference. I had to "recalibrate my feet" later to drive a similar car in the dry in rF2 as it had less grip. You guys have a lot more experience than my dozen laps with the demo so I believe you, so tell me what you see here.

Mauro likes this.
  8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The pCars2 Demo has actually put me off buying it even in the Sale with its low price, for me the Demo does little to sell me the game apart from the smooth VR experience....and that's about it which is not good for a Demo really, the poor AI being a major turn off.

I'll take another look in the future should they update the Demo alongside future patches, but until then it's not a purchase for me.

juanchioooo and patchedupdemon like this.
  9. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I had to turn down the graphics lower than what I do in rf2,to get the same fps.
    Didn’t enjoy the demo really,the formula Renault was easy to drift than the lambo or Ferrari,well I say drift,more like powersliding.

Physics felt like it was either front end gripping or rear,on off me to you type of thing

Can see it being fun for the masses,but for the folks who like more depth of physics,nah not for me

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Had more issues driving the FR car due to how my throttle pedal was working there (almost like a ON/OFF button) than due to the car itself.
    The rain driving is just ridiculous, not because it is easy but it just feels like you dont need to be concerned about anything while driving in a wet track (except for the standing water, that at some lower speed felt a bit exagerated for a car with wide tires). Even with TC On in the GT3 pack in rF2 you still need to take care in a wet track, PC2 demo with all assists off and you dont need to give a crap about the track condition, didn't make much sense to me.
    Despite running on all Low settings it still look better than rF2 in my PC tho, especially the cockpit :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    juanchioooo and Seven Smiles like this.
  11. Amanda Santini

Amanda Santini Registered

Just downloaded and played through all 3 scenarios.

+ Game doesn't take ages to load;
    + It looks f-ing amazing and performs really well;
    + no "dead" look, no washed-out colors or textures;
    + No need to put shadows or opponents detail lower to have good performance, they don't need to look like early 2000's games;
    + Very immersive, it's nice to have an engineer that talks to me;
    + No eye-blinding ridiculous bloom;
    + Rain looks amazing, so nice to see it change direction with the wind;
    + UI is amazing and "UI sounds" are very nice too, close to what F1 games offer;
    + UI elements ("plugins" for rF2) all work nice and present a huge amount of information;
    + water puddles
    + going though the puddles and losing control of the car;
    + wipers that work and actually have an effect on the rain sitting on the windshield;
    + all controls worked out of the box;
    + dynamic weather and racing line;

- AI is boring AF;
    - sounds could improve for the Ferrari GT3 and the Formula Renault 3.5;
    - my pedals only worked from 50% onwards for some reason;

I did experience what I could describe was TC and ABS even though I disabled them all, but I looked to my in-car display and it did show "TC 3" and "ABS 5" or something like that. It was still possible to lock the wheels and spin them on corner exits.

Overall, it's certainly a buy for me and I can see myself putting several hundred hours into it.

McKiernan and vegaguy5555 like this.
  12. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I have to agree. Works good for me too. I still like rF2 and AC.

McKiernan and Amanda Santini like this.
  13. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

buy>play 1h35>refund...o_O

dadaboomda likes this.
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, despite "poor" wet track driving the overall package is still better than rF2 IMO. If people are into more euro tracks and GT racing, that's for sure a game to buy. If I still had same sim racing hype I had 2 or 3 years ago I'd probably buy it (or if it had more tracks I think I'd get it too). Maybe in the next sale.

15. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Played abit more with it today,shame they didn’t allow the triple screen setup to be tweaked with the demo.
    The physics are still the main killer for me,it’s like it takes its time to work out what the cars doing,and then some more time to tell me through the wheel.
    the physics don’t feel tight at all,I don’t know how else to describe it,it’s like there’s a period between weight being shifted and the effects on grip,to letting me know this takes too long and there’s a point where I’m just waiting .
    Maybe the physics in the main game have had updates or as a whole package I could look past it and enjoy the game,but the demo doesn’t give me that impression

16. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

I hope,ya all kow,that the DEMO is not comparable with the whole game at the moment.
    The Demo is just a newer built.
    So if you buy it because of that "great" Demo,you will expect a let-down.
    Till the Patch is out.....
    DC
    PS: I have a E-bike so i don't need a electric F1 car,Marcel..:p

Seven Smiles likes this.
  17. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

What I got from a quick skim of the forum is that the demo has fixes that the full version doesn't have yet. I didn't read in any detail so I may have that wrong.

vegaguy5555 and patchedupdemon like this.
  18. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Registered

Yes the demo is a slighty newer build than the base game but the upcoming patch will add/fix more than what the demo contains. According to the developer on their forum

19. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Registered

So the "Patch" is out now !
    2,7 GB
    Now we can judge again....
    DC

20. Emery

Emery Registered

Patch tweaked the AI, but it's still the same AI... SMS continues to walk the same road in this regard. An obvious improvement is that they can get through the chicanes at Monza. You'll still corner cutting and cars going off the track when they get side-by-side, but it doesn't happen as often as it used to. AI is still uncalibrated in regard to cars & tracks, with a great variance in how they perform.

On the other hand, I've warmed to driving pCARS 2. Get your FFB dialed in (it's not tough, just follow the hints on the FFB screen) and the driving/racing is usually enjoyable. Stay away from the FR3.5 & Clio Cup if you're fond of them in rF2 as you'll be disappointed, but the rest provide good fun with modest simulation value.

vegaguy5555 likes this.