"Proces failed to allocate memory".

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Uzair

Uzair Registered

Thanks for the tip, I tried it, didn't work. Basically past a certain number of cars the game just crashes. Real pity.

2. Xorak

Xorak Registered

Well in AC aswell as in iRacing you dont see those memory leeks - no matter which graphic settings or how many (ai)cars / ohter player cars are at the same track and no matter how big the track is. If something work with 32bit why should you complain? But rRfactor2 seem 2 not work properly on 32bit with build 660 ...

I just tested build 660 - was going 2 buy rFactor2 mainly 'cause of MP cart racing in a league. But ... on my 32bit Vista 4GB Ram the demo just offers me 2 play at medium graphic levels with 11 ai cars or at Full/High Details with 1 AI car with high FPS by the way. If i add 1 more AI it starts 2 stutter, with 3 ai cars i got so much delay that i cant race properly and also the menue starts 2 lag. 4 AI cars and i got the memory error.

So... probably MP wont work for me, 'cause 2 be limited 2 drive with such low graphic settings feels very disapointing. Especialy if you alredy own iRacing and AC which runs smooth and with "high FPS" on your system (60-80 graphic settings high2max).

I'm going 2 check if there is a new build which may fix those issiue. I would consider 2 update 2 windows 7 64bit with 8GB Ram but on the other hand - the sim should work just fine on 32bit systems, too.

Details: Vista 32bit, 4GB 1333mhz ram, Core 2 Duo 3GHZ, nvidia geforce 660gtx ti 2 GB Ram, single monitor (1920x1200)

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

AI in rf4ct0r hits th3 syst3m much h4rd3r th3n r34l 0pp0n3nts. y0ur syst3m is fin3 d00d

4. Xorak

Xorak Registered

Well i found some youtube vids where rFactor2 is run with high graphic settings and many > 10 AI oponents without issues. So - build 660 has some issiues or my system is not good enough. Honestly i dont like 2 go for the deal if chances are high that my system wont run rFactor 2 with settings which fit my likings. If i need 2 run it at medium it realy looks worse than race07 and others ...
    Yeah i know i could ask 2 get my money back but ... why try if even the demo with the little silverstone version dont runs smooth? Sad story, i would realy love 2 go for it :(

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Check my sig/wiki/performance, see if you can get something out of it. my system is worse then yours and mine runs pretty smooth on high settings bar a few hard-hitters.
    never tried the demo but surely you have the same graphical options as we do. you just need to experiment more.

6. Xorak

Xorak Registered

Thx Denstrijo!

I just decided 2 risk it. Didnt checked all but thus far it looks pretty good. My system can run the carts with high settings and using 20 AI without any issue. Also i found out that the demo car ai (honda civic) consumes much more than the housten ai for example.
    Its possible 2 start the silverstone int with 11 AI on housten, framerate 60-120 (60=start and all cars visible). If i change the car to the honda i got the memory allocate error.

Well AI is something i dont need at all. It just cant compete 2 race with humans.

I would suggest 2 limit the AI 2 max 7 cars in the demo 2 make sure interested customers arent confronted with this weird issue. In fact i can imagine many racers dont go for the product 'cause they get this error.

Memory consumption, performance handling and stuff looks very random. There are tracks which looks quite expensive in terms of effects and eye candy which work without thinking about reducing any settings. Silverstone int may not the best track for a demo aswell.

I think performance tewaks and multiplayer improvements might be in general the thing 2 focus. AI isnt a big thing in my eyes. Looking forward 2 the upcoming builds :cool:

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

From what I understand DX10+ doesn't duplicate textures in system ram. So the usage goes way down. This is probably how AC can get away with not switching to x64. DX9 keeps a copy of the textures in VRAM and system RAM from what I understand. I saw someone say AC doesn't have memory leaks like rF2 does, but the problem isn't due to a leak, it's just due to the way DX9 allocates memory.

It would be nice if a dev that is more familiar with DX could chime in and elaborate more on this topic.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

For some people AI is a big thing though, plenty of people whom just race offline.

As for performance, it go's up and down in general per-build. some users see a massive increase, others the other way around, rf2 is quite sensitive and you have to expect going back to tweaking/testing when a new build arrives.
    for example in 590 I spend allot of time getting rf2 run smooth, lots of tweaks. in 660 I got massive stuttering and not able to fix it until I re-installed the whole thing and now its running much better without tweaks at all.
    I'd say overall rf2 is improving bit by bit and I expect that to continue.

Good to see its working for you, good luck with getting grips with it on-track, its quite the challenge :)

9. Xorak

Xorak Registered

yeah hmm. It's realy confusing and weird ... i can start nordschleife 1.6 mod with 7 howsten ai - no memory error. But i cant start silverstone int 11 ai on honda civic ... errm ... its all just trial and error. I think i will end up with an excel sheet noticing about graphic settings and ai limits per track / car combination.

thats kinda interesting! Is it possible 2 force rfactor2 running with DX9? But i need 2 keep DX10 on my system for other stuff.

10. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Please guys can you check post #12 and see if that is the problem?

11. Xorak

Xorak Registered

i saw it before and checked. It might occur on my system aswell but it is not as tough. For example i can change the 11 honda civic (memory error) to the howsten - of course i change my car aswell which leads me 2 the menues and got no memory error.

Also i still get the memory error if i pick the honda, quit rFactor2, restart rFactor2 and start the race without touching something else. Its obvious that there's a weird memory bug in that build.

On my system its not just about how many AI 2 use. The number of AI cars which are possible depends on the car and the track. It also makes a realy huge difference which car i pick. But i suppose the ai overhead works always the same no matter which car ... in fact i can run with more than 20 AI carts at quebeck so the AI cant be such an big deal and its more about car textures and other calculations. But those "other car calculations" are also a case in MP as they dont involve the AI ...

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not sure either, I can increase gfx and add loads of AI on the heaviest track and my game will just load for an hour and then perform in like 1fps or crash or even crash my pc.
    yet I don't get the memory error at all.

we had it on our server once a few weeks back. no idea why it happened, a restart fixed it.
    the mystery's of electronic computers :)

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Are you using the spinner or list view? The spinner view takes forever to load, I wouldn't be surprised if it consumes a lot of memory and doesn't release it before starting a session but the second time you start the game you're going right into a session without going into the spinner first so it has more free memory. Just a theory of course.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  14. Xorak

Xorak Registered

the spinner is no issue on my system but i like the list view also much more. Can i deacitvate the spinner somewhere or set the list view 2 the default tool?

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

In your .plr file find
    UI State="65" // bitfield to save the perfered state of the options. (Car spinner vs Car tree list)
    and set it to 0 for forced list view.

Also there are different spinners/garages. for most peeps 1 doesn't spin at all, try to find it in customize/garage. Not sure if it actually takes the load away but worth a try.

And you could also opt for a different UI all together, Minimalistic decreases menu loads drastically.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19145-rFactor-2-Minimalist-UI-Released

there's also a Carbon UI, not sure if it decreases loads but worth a shot.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19729-RELEASED-Black-Carbon-UI-v1-00

16. Xorak

Xorak Registered

oh thank you sir, love minimalistic stuff!