"Proces failed to allocate memory".

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

A new day, a new problem!
    I tried racing today and the track wouldn't load. I said "alt-tab" and saw the message "proces failed to allocate memory".
    The game stopped.

Now I knew my hard disk was pretty full, so I emptied it a bit. I came further on the loading screen, but still, no.
    Emptied some more and I got in.
    Now I have 15Gb free on the hd, but after that, it happened again. Didn't empty anymore and tried again; I got in, but the game just wouldn't let me get on the track.
    Tried again, now I got to race, but it was no picknick; I had lag in my wheel and hiccups on the screen, like the track stopped and shot me further again.

Strange thing is; I shut (just yesterday) the replay off in the .PLR file, so that shouldn't write to ram or hd anymore.
    I do have enough memory; 8Gb......meets minimum requirements I thought.
    No AV is running in the background.

My system specs are in order here I presume:
    W 7 x64
    i5 3570 @ stock
    MSI mainboard, some B75 build
    8Gb 1600Mhz ram
    GTX 480 1,5Gb
    650 Watt power supply.
    Somewhere between 15 and 20 Gb free on disk, some old 7200 rpm one.

Does any of you have an idea on this one?
    Thanks in advance!

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This problem is all around the forum. It's because rf2 is 32bit application and thus it limits RAM use to 4GB. You have to lower your settings or the amount of AI. I think they are planning a transition to 64bit system at some point.

Note that some tracks and cars use more RAM with same settings.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is covered in a number of other threads, but I'll try to make it quick: if there are too many cars, too many textures, or those textures are too big, or a combination of all three, rF2 may run out of available memory. This isn't the same as your total RAM; as a 32 bit application it can only access 3.8GB at an absolute maximum I believe. It doesn't matter how much extra you have.

Try reducing the texture quality, maybe track detail (not sure on that), maybe some other settings to reduce memory use.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay guys, I understand, thanks.

Strange thing though, it's 2014 and a game like this is still 32 bit and only using 4Gb of ram, right?
    All the update's; a new button, a new line around some box and stuff like that.......why not do something like making it 64 bit and people who have to get a decent system because otherwise they can't run the game, have use of their system.
    If you have an average system, belonging to 4Gb lets say, you get 2 fps, so guys buy a proper one but almost always get more than 4Gb with it.

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I've been playing with it and saw that in the F1RFT mod, the game was more smooth than when I did "all cars and tracks" and choose the same car and track. (?)

I looked in the system and saw 4,5Gb in use. I figured windows (as I saw before) is using 1,5 Gb and the game took 3Gb. I don't know if 3Gb is okay for the game of if it is "bothered" by the 1,5 windows took for itself.

I made a screenshot from the little graphic in the screen, but have no idea what those things mean (anymore).
    Here it is, does it look okay? The green bar is filled up all the time and I don't see much change when driving.

[​IMG]

6. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

known problem

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Having 4GB of RAM (as I do) means you're unlikely to get rF2 using the full amount, because your OS will use a chunk by itself. So you do gain by having more than 4GB of RAM.

You've gone from a somewhat technical question to an opinion piece. Yes, it's 2014, and at this stage rF2 (like MANY games) is still 32-bit. At least it gives you the option to turn things down so you can run more cars or bigger tracks.

They are already looking into 64-bit, by the way. This and and answers to all your other questions are already in this forum.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the explanation Lazza.
    Indeed, it was a bit "opinion wise"........just thought it was strange. Not needed for the topic.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

You didn't mention what content you were getting this issue with, but you mentioned something with F1RFT. Without accusing anyone, we had similar issues with one mod in rFactor1 (think it was F1RFT as well). The mod used needlessly high poly counts and LOD levels, which caused rFactor to exceed 2 GB and crash if you ran anything over 20 AI (the limit in rF1 was 2 GB).

Basically the only way to get this crash is to run some modded content with needlessly high texture/LODs/polys, or run something like 30 ISI Honda Civic cars at Silverstone. Having said that, 64 bit should definitely be worked on for the future, as memory requirements grow all the time. Also DX11 would help to get closer to 4 GB limit, as DX9 duplicates some stuff from video RAM, meaning you only get to about 3.5 GB RAM usage in practise before the error appears.

10. Uzair

Uzair Registered

I love racing with multiple car classes on the track, and thus rFactor 2 being 32-bit is a huge letdown. I have the system to allow a large number of cars on the track with max settings (16 GB system memory, GTX 770), but the game crashes when I load several car mods.

I do hope that ISI release the 64-bit version of RF2 soon. It is mid-2014, there shouldn't really be any 32-bit apps released for Windows, much less a high-end simulation.

11. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

+1000

12. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Actually the problem might be just that you don't need to select the car before starting to race.
    Try this:
    - start up rf2
    - select the car you want
    - quit rf2 and restart it
    - do not select the car you want. It will be already selected.
    - load the practice/race session

You shouldn't see the "Process memory allocation" problem.
    That's my experience at least. See here:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...allocate-memory-when-loading-practice-session

13. Uzair

Uzair Registered

Thanks cosimo, I tried doing this, going straight into the race, but I still get the "failed to allocate memory" error. It's quite frustrating to have a game that is now living up to its promise, looking and playing really well, but not supporting modern software engineering standards. I mean, 32-bit, really? What were ISI thinking releasing a game that is almost guaranteed to utilize lots of memory with high resolution textures and a large number of cars on the track. This is not 1995 any more!

14. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Unless I'm mistaken the video memory counts against maximum RAM usage too. So with 4GB you are maxing out anyway, even if the OS takes 700MB or such (Win7 is not so hungry).

Right now the CPU and GFX card get really busy at 20AI for me, so RAM usage is in tune with other performance usage...

15. stonec

stonec Registered

That's a bit funny statement, as probably something like 95% of games released today for PC are 32-bit only. I have a very short list of games that are 64-bit, one of them is iRacing. Assetto Corsa is not 64-bit and no one seems to complain.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

10GB space will slow a 100GB drive let alone a 500Gb or something i am guessing you have !

10-15Gb space on say a 500GB is pitiful.............. it has to jump everywhere to write blocks.

On top of that if the space is fragmented its going to be even slower !

sheeesh :)

Let alone memory issues.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Haha I'll complain about AC to the end of days, except on that point. :D

18. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Would not modders prefer 64bit?

19. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

Not sure why anyone is talking about hard drive space - unless you are out of swap (and swapping during play will cause massive stuttering, not failure to load) , the disk isn't going to have much impact on rFactor's memory allocation.

I cranked texture usage down from Full to High and the track loaded just fine, so it's obviously a RAM issue. My machine only has 4GB anyway - I know, time to upgrade!

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well gee I don't know he has a hardrive with only 15GB space , maybe I was trying to help the guy !! ( ffs )

assuming it is a 500GB say that is only 3% free space !@!

That causes slow up !
    PURE and SIMPLE !

So it has nothing to do with memory? ........... should I care ? gessus lol good advice is good advice you take it where you get it !!

Get whinged on for helping people FFS

you blocked................... I don't need the vexations.

Can't even use my name I am ........ anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014