Problems with Wine in Linux

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by leillo1975, Jun 28, 2017.

1. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Hello, some time ago I tried to play rFactor2 demo in Linux with Wine. The game runs well, with some HUD problems and no Force Feedback Support in Wheels. I recorded a video that you can see in youtube:

One week ago I bought the game in Steam to enjoy it. Yesterday I tried to run it with wine again, but the game don't work because is get blocked in the initial launcher when "Verifying 30% Longford". I think that the problem is only this launcher. I take a Screenshot when the launcher gets blocked:

[​IMG]

Has anyone managed to play the game with Wine?

2. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

I found a way to play!!!

Longford and Matsusaka block the launcher when this is trying to verify the files. I entered in the Steam Workshop and cancel my subscription to them. I don't have idea what's the problem but now the game works!!!

The game works only under Wine 32bits. In 64bits, the launcher crashes

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you get this verifying issue again, you can delete the file and have it retry later.

If you look at the URL of Longford: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=537639526&searchtext= you see the id in the address is 537639526.

1. Quit rF2 launcher (via task manager if needed), quit steam.
    2. Delete (note the folder matches the id of the workshop item)
    Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960\537639526
    3. Start rF2, see if it downloads now.

leillo1975 likes this.
  4. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Thanks a lot for your help. I follow your steps, but the problem is the same. There are something in this files that makes wine get blocked in launcher.

5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

From memory you should be able to get the Longford.rfcmp somewhere, and install it manually.
    But it would be nice to see if this is an issue and if it gets fixed.

leillo1975 likes this.
  6. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Thanks Nibiru, I will try this night.

I wrote an entry in WineHQ AppDB to help another Linux rFactor2 gamers:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=35439

It's a pity that our community can't play this fantastic game in a native mode. Wine is a solution, but not having Force Feedback support is a big problem to enjoy it.

7. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

rFactor 2 works now in Linux with the new Steam Play (Proton), you must to force the game to work in 32bits in the settings of the launcher:
    [​IMG]

If you can't go settings in launcher, restart Steam in disconected mode and execute the game. Mark the checkbox to force the game to run in 32 bits mode, and then set Steam in connected mode again.
    The game hasn't Force Feedback support in my G27 (other games like Project Cars in Steam Play have it)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018