Problems with driver animation.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Navigator, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

I converted a car from rF1 and last night I put in a driver from a similar rF2 car with the .anm file.
    That works but; with some problems.

First one is; when you see the car driving from the outside; you see all kind of black boxes/artifacts sticking out.
    Is this something someone knows about; what it is that could cause this behaviour?

Second one is; the hands fit the wheel properly now, but when it is turned 90 degrees; the hands go into the wheel. They should be wider at that point, but making the driver wider or higher, doesn't work.
    I thought higher as the hands are above each other that way, but the only thing it does, is setting the hands higher on the wheel and I have to lower the object again to set it properly. Than, the hands sink into the wheel again.
    Does anyone have an idea on this?

2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

No one?

I don't want to nag about it, but the publishing of the mod "depends on this" as nowadays, it's just not done to publish without driver arms.....

Funny; people speak of "not enough mods" but when there is just a little bit of help needed to get a mod released.......
    2/3 years ago I was busy with some mods that were never finished like the Pagani Zonda, DTM, LMP1, GP2, GP3, Formula E and they all had some .gen issues or things like that.

Now; the dx11 conversion and skins, I have help with; just the driver arms and it could be a nice mod.

3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks mate, I read those but I have to have 3dmax.......
    Next to the fact I don't have it; I cant work with it either :(
    I was hoping for another program that could do the same, but there seems to be none, right?

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

No, unless you can load it all up in 3dsimed.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I tried in 3dsimed, but I cant get it right that way.

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hmm, I tried some things and I loaded up a set (wheel and driver+anm) that works properly in its own mod.
    In this mod, it doesn't line up.
    Is one of the two related to the car and the other to....well....something else? Just a proper working set should work in another car too, right?
    What am I missing?

8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it should work. It won't be in the right place, most likely, the driver will be placed where it's animated, I don't think you can just move it around without breaking the animation.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

That's a real shame.
    Thanks for the help; I'll keep trying!

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

You can move around the driver without any problem, at least in XYZ direction.
    The only thing that you have to do, after you have moved it, is to set the pivot of the driver mesh to 0,0,0 again.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Bernd, I read a lot, but never came across the driver pivot point; I will try that!

12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thats a shame; it was at 0.

I just now saw that the hands may not be to narrow when at 90 degrees, but they go to the front; like they have a wheel in their hands that is tilted as in an older/road car. I have the same problem with another driver animation and they both came from an open wheeler too; they should work with a "standing straight" wheel.
    But on 90 degrees; the wrist touch the wheel where the hand should be.

Could it be the animation/driver is tilted somehow when in the car? In 3Dsimed its okay.......

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Nope……..really doesn't work :(
    Again; a new set of driver/anm/wheel without any kind of altering just in there; they don't meet. In their own car; they work fine.

Odd thing one has to have 3dsmax to mod properly; that damn program costs 250 euro a month(!!) or 2000 a year(!!!!)
    Haha, and if I had it; still wouldn't know how to use it.
    So; the end of modding :)

(Made a wip topic to soon, lol)

14. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Navigator You say, that a set of driver, animation and also steering wheel, that works in it's original mod, don't 'meet', when you use it in your mod.
    What exactly means 'meet' here?
    If everything is used in a proper way, it has to work in the same way as in the original mod.
    If 'meet' means, that the rotation of the driver hand don't matches the rotation of the steering wheel, open the cockpitinfo.ini of the original mod and search for the lines
    SteeringWheelAxis=...
    and
    SteeringDegreesPerFrame=...
    and copy - paste (overwrite) both into the cockpitinfo.ini of your mod.
    If you still can not get it working, open a conversation with me and send me a link of your mod.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@Bernd
    Well, when I stick them in the car, the hands are further into the cockpit than the wheel; they don't line up at all........
    The rotation is okay though.
    I play some more with the "SteeringWheelAxis=" value and will pm you if it doesn't work out.
    Thanks!

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

What a pain in the but that is.......
    I have send you a pm Bernd.