Problem with Wet Surface

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Enetmo, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Enetmo

Enetmo Registered

Hi, we are the reflections of Wet surface, but we have a problem. Looking at the manual, following all the steps, once we select the "Do scene", we see that what creates the file. Scn does not correspond with what the manual says, we can see inside. Scn following:
    ReflectionMapper = REFLECTEDENV
    {
    Type = spherical
    TextureSize = (32)
    Updaterate = (1,000)
    StaticSwitch = (100,000)
    Pos = (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000)

We do not know where we are wrong, but it is clear that there is an error, we would be helpful if someone could write step by step what you have done to get this option.

Thanks and regards.

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Just copy what it says it should be in the TrackModding tutorial, that info is correct. What's exported is incorrect.

3. Enetmo

Enetmo Registered

I do, but I dont's see the reflected wet surface, I tried again, maybe I make something incorrect.

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Package the track and try it in single player. ModDev has proven unreliable to me in testing any reflection features.

5. Enetmo

Enetmo Registered

Thanks ethone, I try now.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

It's not clear what you really mean but some stuff to check:

1) Your main road (for Realroad/Racesurface) material needs to use these channels:

View attachment 1168

2) Check that your last main road material stage (Reflection map) is on channel 3; then you need to have "livemapper" option checked,

View attachment 1166

3) type REFLECTEDENV inside Reflection Mapper rollout:

View attachment 1167

4) Check you are using refPlanes under your reflected istances;

View attachment 1169

View attachment 1171

5) Check your .SCN for a correct output of ReflectPlane for every istance you want to reflect on wet. ie:

Instance=bridge_a
    {
    ReflectPlane=(0.0, 0.998, 0.0, 5.093)
    MeshFile=bridge_a.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(Static, Solid) ShadowGroups=(15)
    }

5) Check your .SCN for a correct output of REFLECTEDENV ie:

//----REFLECTION FOR WET TRACK
    ReflectionMapper=REFLECTEDENV
    {
    Type=Planar
    TextureSize=(1024)
    UpdateRate=(100.000)
    StaticSwitch=(150.000)
    TrackingIns=NULL
    IncludeIns=bridge_a
    }

Test your track on Developer, forcing the wet option in the main menu.

Hope this helps.....:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. copa

copa Registered

Hello,
    I have the same problem Enetmo. I just do what Tuttle says but I have no clear steps 4 and 5.
    Tuttle you explain in more detail the process of creating the reflection of the track, please. a greeting

8. Tuttle

No problems.

The most important thing to know is that you need to create a "virtual" reflection plane under instances you want to be reflected on wet road.

With "virtual" I mean that you have just to create a new Plane (primitive object) with about the same planar size of the istance you want to be reflected on wet (look at my previus example with the "bridge_a" istance).

Move your plane above the road and rename it with the "refPlane_" suffix, plus a specific name for your reference (ie: refPlane_bridge_a).

Keep in mind that you don't need to export this Plane, just because it's a reference linked to the exported istance.

Remember: DO NOT CONVERT THE PLANE INTO A EDITABLE OBJECT.

Now you've to link your istance to its refPlane;

Select the istance you want to reflect on wet and open the GMT converter.

In the ISTANCE section you need to check "Reflect" and "Use Local Panel". Then click on the blue arrow to point at your refPlane object. Select your refPlane from the list and click ok.

Now you've created the refPlane for your istance.

Export the object and relative SCN. You will find a line like this:

Instance=YOURISTANCE
    {
    ReflectPlane=(0.0, 0.998, 0.0, 5.093)
    MeshFile=YOURISTANCE.gmt CollTarget=False HATTarget=False ShadowCaster=(Static, Solid) ShadowGroups=(15)
    }

The last thing to do is to add your istance in the INCLUDE list like this:

//----REFLECTION FOR WET TRACK
    ReflectionMapper=REFLECTEDENV
    {
    Type=Planar
    TextureSize=(1024)
    UpdateRate=(100.000)
    StaticSwitch=(150.000)
    TrackingIns=NULL
    IncludeIns=YOURISTANCE
    }

You don't have to create a refPlane for every object, so you can use the same refPlane for objects in the same area...or you can create a refPlane for a group of istances...

Furthermore...if your track is completely flat, you can use a global refPlane for all the objects in the scene.

Let me know if this helps....:)

9. copa

copa Registered

Hello again,

I have done all what was in your message, up to and well. When I observed that SNA has created me this:

Instance = refPlane_racesurface
    {
    MeshFile = refPlane_racesurface.gmt HATTarget CollTarget = True = True
    }
    Instance = Racesurface_4
    {
    ReflectPlane = (0,000, 1,000, 0,000, -0000)
    MeshFile = Racesurface_4.gmt CollTarget Deformable = True = True = True HATTarget ShadowCaster = (Static, Solid) Reflect = True

Do not know if it'll be ok or not. I'm already desperate.
    What I want is that the track is mirror, ie, having reflected on the track.
    A greeting.

10. Tuttle

What a mess man! :)

First error: DO NOT export refPlanes. This lines are useless:

Instance = refPlane_racesurface
    {
    MeshFile = refPlane_racesurface.gmt HATTarget CollTarget = True = True
    }

Second error: The istance you've exported is the track itself...not a object to reflect on the wet track...Stay focused on this...:) THE TRACK REFLECT OUT OF THE BOX (on wet)...so you don't need to program or export a refPlane for the track.... (I'm assuming you had created a proper material for your road surface...as the pdf said.)

So...REMEMBER...you need to create a refPlane for the object you want to reflect on wet. Think at this refPlanes as a virtual mirror plane...that you put between your reflected object and the road...

Another error is that the road surface do not cast any shadow...so be sure the caster option for road surface is checked off.

I think you wrote this lines by your hands...because there are a lot of things without sense, as the "CollTarget = True = True"....and stuff like this.

Sorry but I think you need to get some basic skills about Modding... before proceeding into new rF2 features. ;)

11. copa

copa Registered

Ok, at the end the whole process should go to Scene file and click on Do output scene, no. Finally thanks for everything but I am incapar could. I feel bad about myself but I get. A greeting.

12. ethone

ethone Registered

Was that really necessary man? He's here asking for help, isn't he? Now he feels bad about himself. Great. Let's drive everyone out of here...

There's two ways to go about the .scn file.
    1) The more comfortable one is using the GMT Plugins to export one. An advantage is that you won't have to make sure about syntax, spelling and the sort. ;) Another is that you're unlikely to miss any options of the plugins. Some require an addition to their instance section in the .scn (like Deformable=True), some require a flag to be set which will affect the exported .gmt file (like the omni receiver toggle, which is not written to the .scn but to the .gmt file).
    2) The other way is writing the .scn file by hand (or exporting a basic one and adding to/editing it from there on out). It has the advantage that you can combine objects from different .max files (my Fuji .max file is split essentially into track and everything up to the guardrails and all the outside/infield/trackside objects). It also gives you direct control over what is in or not in the .scn and you're unlikely to have anything in it that isn't supposed to be in there. It is pretty prone to little errors especially if you're inexperienced with the format so it's better reserved for those cases where you really need it.

1 person likes this.
  13. copa

copa Registered

Sorry to be heavy with this topic, I want you to look in the circuit is the wet track of time. I put Two Diffuse Shader Road Maps with seven textures which placed in the manual. From there I go to the developer so I do not see the wet or even in single player mode. I hope you now have more than atos really wanted.

14. Tuttle

I don't think I wrote something rude...and YES; he's asking for help...and I've tried to help him with a lot of example, screenshots, step by step...So, please, don't be polemic without a real motive..especially if he's ok with my last post. Stop.

15. copa

copa Registered

Sorry to bother you but it was not my intention. It is true that I asked for help, you gave me many examples, so I appreciate it. In order saber how to do someday, thanks for everything and best regards.

16. Tuttle

To see the wet FX in developer mode you have to click on Toggle Weather gfx button....in the left menu. After this you have to click the Manual Wet&Damp in the menu called Adjust Road Condition:

View attachment 1184

17. ethone

ethone Registered

In your road material, have you specified the material to use the REFLECTEDENV reflection mapper?
    [​IMG]

18. Enetmo

Enetmo Registered

Thanks, I have ok by this info, thanks a lot guys!!!

19. les

les Registered

View attachment 1189 its an oval track but i was doing some testing and this is what it looks like wet on my track just finishing up the track textures and such but here is a look View attachment 1188
    this was in developer mode with no settings other than rain i think i have it set up right i know oval racing has no rain set but i was testing real road

20. copa

copa Registered

Thanks for your help ethone and Tuttle, the end has left me. Are you a comsulta I can ask?
    How I can do the shadows of objects?, Thank you very much.