Problem with update of Imola workshop(?) content

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by mgwalters, Jan 15, 2022.

1. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

I apologize if this has been answered and re-answered. I searched the forums but was likely just not using the right search terms.
    I have been away from RF2 for a while but have been keeping it updated with Steam. When I try to launch it now I get errors on Imola workshop content updates, like this (for 4 different versions of the track):
    upload_2022-1-15_13-10-24.png
    When I look in my steamapps/workshop/content/365960 directory, I find a folder with the Imola tracks:
    upload_2022-1-15_13-13-16.png

So, it appears that I have Imola tracks from the steam workshop and they are having trouble updating due to some missing base content.

BUT, I cannot find this Imola track pack in the Steam workshop for RF2! If I could find it, I would unsubscribe and/or resubscribe to it. But the only place I see these Imola tracks is in the Store (does this still count as "workshop"?) and I do not own it, according to Steam:
    upload_2022-1-15_13-16-12.png

What's going on? Was this Reiza pack in the workshop at some point in the past? Or did I acquire it from some update and that's why it doesn't show that I own it in the Steam store?

Most importantly, what should I do to get rid of these errors on startup? If I used to have Imola, I would like to keep it, but if it ended up being installed by mistake or if I'm not supposed to own it then I'm OK with just deleting it...I just want to do it the right way.

Thanks.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mgwalters DLC is shown in your steam inventory, not the workshop.

If unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't help, try creating and attaching a trace file here

3. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

I don't see a way to even try to unsubscribe and resubscribe. The Imola DLC does not show up in my Steam inventory nor my steam purchase history. If I have Imola, it was either free in the workshop at one time or I downloaded a version from racedepartment or something like that, but I have nothing related to Imola in my packages directory to indicate that I got it from a 3rd party site.
    If it wasn't ever free in the workshop, I didn't buy it, and these multi-year version are not available anywhere else, how did it get in my workshop directory? Should I try a trace (I have to learn how to do that) or should I just delete the folder from my workshop directory? Like I said, if I used to own Imola I would like to keep it, but if the files are somehow in my workshop directory by some glitch, then maybe the way to get rid of the error on startup is to delete that folder?

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If you go to rFactor 2\Bin64 and open modmgr.exe, set the correct paths, you should be able to find the item in the list, and it'll show you the issue.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. I really have to stop trying to do this on my phone.

That's a strange one, because those files are definitely the Imola DLC versions but your Imola on the store page should show as being owned. Maybe you did end up getting those files through some other way (though being in the content folder... yeah, I don't know, that's weird). You only have 1 steam account?

Anyway, if you don't remember buying it then removing those files/folder will hopefully fix it. If you do that and steam gets them again you have further investigation to do :p

mgwalters likes this.
  6. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

It is weird, isn't it? I only have one steam account. Looking back, I was definitely focusing on Imola when the Imola files in the workshop directory are time-stamped (Oct 2021). It feels like I did buy the Imola DLC...except Steam doesn't show that...or I got it free from the Workshop...except that this DLC wouldn't have likely been free in the workshop ever, right?

Anyway, I deleted the folder from the workshop directory and RF2 started with no issues. I then exited RF2 and went back to Steam and ran the local file validation. That caused a 1.4GB download and...now when I start up I get the same errors and I have a folder (1.4GB) back in my Workshop directory with the Imola tracks! Steam is convinced that I either have the DLC or have Imola through the workshop! And yet, it can't successfully update the Imola files.

I'm not sure what to try next. I could unsubscribe from the dozens and dozens of workshop things I'm subscribed to for RF2 and see what happens? Or ??

7. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

These Imola tracks are not a mod. I have only one mod in my Packages folder (a Silverstone mod) and Mod manager indicates no issues with it. These Imola tracks are put in my workshop directory by Steam (if I remove them and then run file validation on Steam they are re-installed). Steam says I have no DLC for RF2, so I think that means I got them as part of some update or they had to come from the Workshop...but there are no Imola track in the RF2 workshop that I can find. I can just ignore the startup errors (other than the time they take on startup), but I'd kind of like to avoid the errors entirely and certainly would like to be able to run Imola if it is supposed to be running.

8. Coutie

All content are "mods", they will show in the mod manager. If you click it, it'll say in use by something else, then you can remove whats causing the issue.

9. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

I didn't realize that I could enable Mod Manger to display "components" instead of just "mods" in order to see everything.
    When I enabled components, I saw two that are in use by a mod (the Silverstone mod). To get rid of any possible issue, I uninstalled and deleted the Silverstone mod. Now, under "Mods", Mod Manager shows nothing and, under "Components" none of them say "in use by". Note that Imola is not shown as a mod or a component.
    With the Silverstone mod removed, Mod Manager showing nothing under "Mods" and showing no Components "in use by" anything, starting RF2 still tries to go through the updates and still displays message such as this for the Imola tracks:
    upload_2022-1-15_17-47-51.png
    Am I still missing the point on how to use Mod Manager or do you have any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

10. Coutie

You can try going back into that workshop folder and deleting the two imola18 files, 1.02 may be corrupted, that is what 1.03 needs to install on top of.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

12. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@mgwalters rF2 content is not shown as DLC like most other games, in rF2 it's treated as an in-game purchase, so will show up under your inventory....how do we do that.... at the top of the steam page you'll see your steam name, hover over it and select inventory.
    Inventory.png

This will show all of your rF2 purchased items, if Imola is not in that list then you don't own it (given that it's downloading it in the first place, indicates that you do). You can view it in the workshop by clicking the View Workshop Item button, where you subscribe/unsubscribe if required.
    viewWorkshop.png

This probably doesn't help your current problem, but at least you'll be able to see what you've purchased.

13. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

That's the weird part. My "inventory" does not show any RF2 DLC. If I did buy any, it would have been Imola, but I can't say for sure I did buy even that. It's not in my Inventory and yet Steam still downloads it when it does a file validation. That's what makes me think that Imola was, somehow, at one time, available in the workshop (not as DLC).
    upload_2022-1-15_20-22-51.png

14. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

The trace file is attached. I've never looked at an RF2 trace file before but what stands out to me is:
    -- All my other content shows as "currently subscribed" and/or "already installed". The Imola tracks show as "queued for install".
    -- There is this error when it goes to install the first Imola track: " 29.21s JNIModMgr.cp 1707: Error: Ref count incorrect for component shared. Was 1, expected 2".

No idea what that means but maybe you do?

Attached Files:

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Nope, but my eyes don't see anything else in there either.

Judging by your screenshot rFactor 2 doesn't appear as an option in your Inventory at all, so you have bought no DLC for it?

It kind of looks simply like you haven't bought Imola, except the fact Steam keeps downloading it. o_O

mgwalters likes this.
  16. mgwalters

mgwalters Registered

Yes, if I had bought any DLC for RF2, it would have been Imola....which it seems I did not....except that it seems that I did...or something. :eek:

I unsubscribed from all RF2 workshop content to see if that would help. 73 of 74 folders got deleted from my workshop content directory. The one remaining? The Imola folder.
    So, you know what I did? The only sensible thing...
    I went ahead and bought the Imola DLC. :) Now it shows up in my inventory and successfully installed when I started RF2. Now I *know* I own it!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Lazza likes this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

He's looking at Inventory.

But yes, as above, his Imola item also says nothing about being owned (mine does) through the rF2 store.

mgwalters likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Haha, nice solution! :p