problem runtime error

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by dom94, Dec 18, 2013.

1. dom94

dom94 Registered

Hi guys, I can no longer start rfactor 2. I get this error: runtime errore this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.I tried to redo the installation of rfactor 2, microsoft visual c + +, but nothing the problem persists. How can I fix?

2. daynyc

daynyc Registered

Same problem! I had rFactor 2 working well with 382 and was ready to show it off to some friends on Christmas. When I tried to restart, I got the Runtime Error message regarding Launch rFactor.exe: “This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information."

I uninstalled and reinstalled rFactor 2 several times ( even version 342 again), each time attempting to remove all traces of the previous installation, including those in the Registry. I tried several graphics drivers. I double checked that my Runtime files were complete and up-to-date and ran a "repair" on them. I scanned Windows for any corrupt or missing files (there were none). All to no avail. Every time I attempted to launch, I received the Runtime message.

I've seen several entries on this subject in the forum over the past several months, but without real resolution. Many people only have this problem with rFactor 2. Respectfully, I think this is an rF2 issue and not "someone else's fault." Understandably, I do not want to reformat just to deal with this.

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Intel i7 2600K 3.40 GHz (8CPUs)
    8192MB RAM
    Nvidia GTX560ti

3. daynyc

daynyc Registered

This seems to work. The "key" seems to be removing the hidden rFactor folder in AppData\Roaming. Many thanks to Ari Antero. I do think that ISI should sort this issue or promulgate the fix:
    Uninstall rfactor2 using the uninstall feature.
    Delete the entire rfactor2 installation folder, and any rfactor2 related folder in your My Documents folder (to remove any user data files).
    Next, delete the local license file: Navigate to your “C:\Users\<Your Windows Username here>\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor” folder and delete the files within (you can type this in your Windows Explorer address bar or navigate to it by first disabling “Hide system files and folders” in your folder settings (see windows documentation for more info)).
    Make sure you have downloaded the most recent build of rfactor2 from the appropriate downloads page of rfactor.net and install it into a new clean folder. For rfactor2, using the Content Installer download is best because you can then test the game with minimal content.
    Since you’ve deleted the license file in a previous step, you’ll need to reactivate your game. For rfactor2, run the launcher, select the Purchase tab, then select Reactivate.
    Run rfactor2 with the minimum content and with NO 3rd party community created mods/addons/plugins (content you’ve downloaded elsewhere) and troubleshoot any issues with limited content.