Problem Creating REFLECTEDENV Mapper

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by dreken, Jan 14, 2012.

1. dreken

dreken Registered

hi Scott and Luc,
    First I would like to say a huge thankyou to all the team at ISI, I think rF2 has the best potential for creating believable racing enviroments, although half expected that we would be able to add anims from a default track :) After seeing all the improvements I have been able to make to my own track with the lighting, the bump mapping, racing groove, and marbles ..

Could you please help me with the procedure in creating the REFLECTEDENV mapper, after creating the RefPlane _Global and adding it to scene and adding the new mapper name..I was following the tutorial selcting rado buttons didnt work for me as they seemed locked, until I saved out and reloaded ..then after successfly creating REFMAP0 mapper for reflects on car and writing to scene . I cant get Max to create the REFLECTEDENV mapper and write it to scene ..
    I have followed tutorial apart from I had already set up the RaceSurface objects with 7 textures including the reflection place holder, I selected objects that overlooked road surface .. but didnt see them listed anywhere , so tried with just the Refplane_global plane ..Am I right in thinking that I should be able to create it with just that global plane.. using Max 10

thanks, Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hey dreken,
    Scratch that...I'm having trouble getting it to work properly as well. I can create the REFLECTEDENV Reflection Mapper, but it doesn't retain its settings, and doesn't export properly to the scene file. I'm using the 2010 plugins with Max2011.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
  3. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

I'm reviewing this. I've heard some problems with creating mappers, but so far I haven't been able to duplicate them :S. I'll keep looking this weekend and see if I can come up with something...

4. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

there is definitely something wako with this area of the export plugin... I cant follow the tutorial to conclusion without getting wierd items in the scn file. I see QNAN (not a number???) in some of the variables... but also can't get the drop downs to enable for selecting the reflection mapper...

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

You can work around this for now if you open the summary info window in max and save the text file, then open the text file and copy and 'special paste' it into open office calc or any spread sheet app and reorganising things there selecting the objects you want to include, use the fill tool to add IncludeIns= to every line etc, then copy paste it all into notepad, use search and replace to remove the tab etc. Then you can quite easily get the list of objects together, then manually put it in the scn file, make sure to back it up too cause exporting the scn from max again will wipe it.

I can give a detailed explanation, but I think its pretty simple to do.

6. Simon Peace

Simon Peace Registered

OK gonna show my 3dsmax lack of skills here... mianiak how do I get the "summary info window in max" up?

7. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Application menu > Properties > Summary Info

Type 'summary info' into the help search box :)

8. dreken

dreken Registered

Unfortunately since posting the issue with saving the Reflectedenv mapper not creating the scn file. Thanks to "mianiak" after posting his work around. I carried on with my track work. but it appears something had gone wrong with the converter/exporter tool as it not exporting changes to some tso GMTs that contain transparency whether its alpha or chroma do not appear to be created when exported. I had no problem the first time I created my track its only appeared to happen since I found I couldnt create reflectedenv mapper. It's possibly that there is another file that tools create that needs to be recreated as just a fresh install of tools again didnt fix it? Making new objects for my track and exporting them out as rF2 gmts still did not retain transparencey setting, also get the impression LOD settings are not being saved to GMT. Doing the same work with rF1 tools ( Btw thanks again to "Mianiak" for his script/tool making it easy to do quick change ) has no problem exporting changes. I see some modders posting that they are having problems creating transparencey. possibly they have the similar problem using Max 10 and that version of tools? and it looks like they are having to ask the basics again?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  9. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I have never had a problem with transparencies like you say, but if I may suggest something that you can do. Create a new project and import > merge, select your current file and import everything into the new project. Use the eyedropper to get the material for the track into the material editor. It should still remember the instance settings but anything to do with the ref mapper should not be included. Then leave the ref mapper out of the process for now until it has been looked into a bit more.

10. dreken

dreken Registered

Thank you Mianiak, it does seem leaving out the mapper helped. Perhaps I also should of added earlier that after exporting my track and then choosing to shut down Max didnt work as it should. which also seems fixed. It appears it was creating the RefMap (which I understand is only used by the cars) and which I had made first before refletedenv caused the problem. So I will try creating just the Reflectedenv mapper and see if that causes any issue?
    Thanks, Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012
  11. mianiak

mianiak Registered

If you do still want to play with the ref mapper, I recommend to make sure to keep a backup of your project.

12. mianiak

mianiak Registered

What version of 3dmax are you guys using?

13. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

2011 here. So far everything is working as designed, but I haven't yet tested every single available options.

Cheers!

14. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

When trying to add the instances to include or exclude it just selects that object for me in 3ds Max 2010.

15. Alex Sawczuk

Oh wait, it's just explained how to add them somewhere else...

16. Alex Sawczuk

I can't create a second mapper either in 3ds Max 2010.

17. NightSt@lk3r

NightSt@lk3r Registered

Also having issues with creating mappers in Max 10, any changes i make to the mappers dont stick and i cant delete mappers or add anymore mappers.

18. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Scroll up to post #5 and do that for the time being. Then check post #9 to remove any ref mapping edits to the max file.

19. NightSt@lk3r

NightSt@lk3r Registered

Thanks for the tip, merging with a new scene worked!