Problem create MOD

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by ~IsR~Barabba, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

I want to know how to create a mod cars megane independent default ISI.
    I would create five groups of cars, inside and get their cars customized.
    The first group includes the default ISI cars.
    the second group the cars, official drivers ~IsR~.
    the third group the cars drivers guests.
    the fourth group, the F1-style cars.
    The fifth group of the national livery cars.
    I made the five groups, but the group where the cars have to be ISI, does not appear.
    and in the menu of choice cars, are always present menus of cars ISI.
    Practically my Mod appears as a component of the mod megane 1.0 ISI.
    How can I do to create a standalone mod?
    Any help are welcome.

Thx Babs:)

2. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Babs,

I am not entirely sure I understand what you mean, but the way I see it, you want to create a mod, which uses the Meganes as a base. In this new mod, you want to include 5 groups of liveries. Am I correct here?

I also understand that you have done the liveries already. Did you do the skins alone, or did you also do the vehicle files, ICON and SMICON files? For what you want to do, you need at least the skin and vehicle file, but the icon files are prefered to have as well!

If you have everything, you have 2 options.

Create a new mod, using the files from the original meganes.
    As there are problems at this point with the dedicated server selection of custom content, I prefer this above the 2nd option.

Create an update on the Meganes, adding only the new content (skins).

Let me know if I am thinking in the right direction here. If so, I will write down the instruction on how to do so here.

To test if what I am saying here, is what you mean, download the following file:
    - CLICK HERE FOR DOWNLOAD.

This is a stand alone mod, which I am using for a running league at the moment. It contains around 30 skins, and is linked to Mid Ohio, Snetterton 300 and Searspoint. These are 3 of the tracks I run in the league. To install the mod, make sure you have installed those 3 tracks first, then install the mod.

If you go into the offline game, select the RDWSR (Racedepartment World series by Renault) series. Go to the car selection, and check if this is what you want to achieve. You can also select the series when setting up an online server. It is running without any issues for a few weeks now.

Regards,

Marco.

3. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

Thanks for the reply Marco.
    I would like to create a standalone mod, with my groups of cars and with my skins, which are about 50.
    And as I said above to create 5 groups(5 panel icon) of skins.
    1)~IsR~ driver 2)F1-style 3)Guest 4)nations 5)ISI machines.
    I am now in my mod, see 10 groups,ISI normal groups, plus my 4,and I do not like.
    The Basic version included installing virtual megane 2009.
    Perhaps for this reason be, that now, no longer disappear.
    I'm downloading your mod, so I see how it works.
    Thanks for your help.

Babs

4. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

I downloaded your mod.
    Same as you I would do.
    Only,in place of putting a car single for one panel icon, I would do 5 panels icon, and change the various machines,change the alternate skin.
    If you can explain to me how you did, I would be eternally grateful.
    sorry bad english I help with translation.

Babs

5. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Babs,

There are a few things to do. But first a question.
    If you look at the car's from the mod I have send you, you can see that the window banner is different from the standard as well. There are 2 ways to do this, but the most easy way is to change the default window. To do this, follow the next steps. If you want to keep the default windown banner, skip this step.

- Open the mas2.exe
    - Select the Open Mas File icon
    - Browse to the installed folder/vehicles/Meganes2009/1.0 and open the M2009.MAS file.
    - Select all content in it, and export it to a folder
    - Open your explorer, go into the folder you exported the file, and look for: M2009_WINDSHIELD.dds

Change that file to the new window you want to use on all cars. Save it back into the folder as a dds. Open the MAS2.exe file, and select the Add files to MAS archive button.
    - Browse to the folder where you extracted the files and saved the new windows file.
    - Select all files from the folder
    - Save the mas file as Megane.mas (name can be anything, just taking this as example)

Now you have changed the default window for all cars in the mod. Next step is to make the new team file. You need the following files to make the mod complete.
    - .veh file. Here you make the link to driver name, team name, and skin filename.
    - [skinname].dds file. This is the actual skin you have made
    - [skinname]ICON.dds file. This is the large icon, displayed when selecting a vehicle
    - [skinname]SMICON.dds file. This is the small icon you see when you have a car displayed.

Create a folder where you can save all the files. Create a vehicle file for all cars you want to use. Make sure to save that in a plain txt way, otherwise it won't work.
    When you have all you skin files in that folder, open the MAS2.exe
    - Click the Add files to MAS Archive button
    - Go to the above mentioned folder
    - Open ALL files
    - Save the file as Megane_TEAMS.mas (name van vary again, but make sure it's the same as the name from the file made above, including _TEAMS

So, now you have a new Megane.mas file and a new Megane_TEAMS.mas file. You can simply copy the M2009_MAIN.mas and rename it to Megane_MAIN.mas, as you have nothing changed there.
    Now you need to pack these 3 files into a new component. Open the MAS2.exe program again. Follow the next steps:

Now its time to pack them all together. Click the C button in the MAS2.exe program

- Click NEW Component button
    - Name your class (Meganes_ISR f.i.)
    - Select a file location for the new component
    - Fill in a version number, and select the type Vehicle
    - Click on the Open file button in the middle, right
    - Browse to the newly created .mas files
    - Select the new _TEAMS file and if you changed the windows, the new Megane.mas file
    - Select the Megane_MAIN file from youi copied from the original Megane content

You now should have 3 mas files selected. Megane_MAIN, Megane and Megane_TEAMS. Now you can click the Package button.

At this stage, you are able to test the component, by simply putting in in the package folder, and install it via the mod manager. In game go to the All cars and Tracks option, to test the skins if they are ok. If all is OK, go to the next step.

Creating the VMod.
    To do it nicely, create the ICON and SMICON as well for the mod. Create the .rfm file in the way you always do (I assume you know how that works, if not, ask).
    Select those 3 files, and save them somewhere.
    Go to the package section (Big P), and select the newly created file. Select a file location, and make the mod in the same way you normaly do. In this case, I would recomend you leave the box TICKED before the vehicle name, so it includes the component in the mod. That way, you need to distribute only one file.

Package it, and test it. If all works well, register it with the MOD ID, repackage it with the correct MOD ID in the info box, and play with it :)

If you have issues, or questions, contact me either here, or via my email. Mostly, email works quicker ;) marco.bijl@racedepartment.com.

Good luck!

6. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

Thanks very much Mark.
    This weekend I'll put to work by following your suggestions.
    When I finish, I'll let you know if I could can run the entire Mod
    Thanks again for your time dedicated to me.
    And for your willingness to help me.

Babs ;)

7. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Ok, good luck with it! Let me know if you have issues, so we can try to solve them.

8. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

So, did you have the time to look into this? Curious if it worked out ;)

9. ~IsR~Barabba

~IsR~Barabba Registered

Yes Marco,everything worked perfectly.
    Thank you for your support and help.
    I think this topic will help others better understand how to package the mod so simple.

Babs ;DD

10. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Great! Good to hear it worked out.

If someone from ISI can confirm this is exactly the way to go with it, that would be nice. Just to make sure :)
    After all, I had to teach myself all these techniques as well ;) I am only human, so I can be wrong in some points here....

11. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi
    -[skinname] ICON.dds file. It is the large icon, displayed in the selection of a vehicle.
    -[skinname] SMICON.dds file. It is the small icon that see you when you have a car that is displayed.
    The files are in registered DXT (1,3,5)?
    I do not see my skins but just the entourage.
    Where do I make the mistake?

Please help me

12. 10speed

10speed Registered

The ICON-files have to be saved as X.8.8.8 (XRGB) DDS. ISI's icons don't use alpha channel or mipmaps. I'm not sure if that is mandatory though.

BTW thanks a lot Marco for taking the time to create this step-by-step guide! :)

13. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Thank 10speed
    Test tomorrow because I job this night.

14. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Hi thanks for all this great info! I am a total newb to modding but would like to try and mod the 2009_megain isi original so that we can change gear ratios to be able to race on larger tracks and not ride the limmiter ;-) thats all, not adding any new cars or skins (at this time) just editing the gearbox.ini and the HDV ... I think i have a good idea what to do from this post to babs ,in fact he showed me where to edit the gearbox.ini to add the ratios and " AllowFinalDriveChanges=0 // not permitted to alter final drive ratio" from 0 to 1 to to actavate the gear ratio in game within the HDV ..

Now what i have done so far is open, in MAS2 ,the Megane09_main.mas and extracted the Gearbox.ini and the HDV into my work dir I created following the tuts so its away from my fr2 instal , I have edited the gearbox.ini to add the new gears and in the HDV changed 0 to 1 so that part i believe is done so these files are now ready ( i hope lol) but i now am at a loss of what to do to .. is it time to repackage now? Do I add these back to main.mas or make a new main.mas by copying/pasting all the original files with these 2 edited ones in place of the originals? sry im such a newb but i want to learn and i got this far so if anyone can help I would rely be gratefull !!!

thx ! ;-)