Private dedicated server problem: unable to install server mod

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by grfctor, Jan 4, 2021.

1. grfctor

grfctor Registered

Hi all,

I have managed to get a dedicated server up and running without any issues, using SteamCMD and standard base content. I am running the dedicated server on the same machine which I use to race. However, I am now trying to test a dedicated server using the DLC content (Porsche Cup GT3) and a standard track (Silverstone) and I keep encountering the same error message:

"An error occurred. Unable to install server mod, most likely cause is missing content. Please try returning to the main menu, or restarting the game".

I have followed Christopher Ellliott's guidance (https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-hosting-with-steamcmd-and-paid-content.57209/) and the Steam-CMD guide (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ray1zj3q08bizkt/Steam-CMD.doc?dl=0) regarding the keys and I am still not getting anywhere, despite having repeated this on multiple occasions. I own the DLC, and I see the "Keys Loaded" message on Mod Manager. Everything is updated to the latest version.

Could anyone please suggest any fixes for this? I have followed the guides repeatedly, and have looked for any other solutions on the forum, but don't understand why this is happening.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated - thanks in advance.

2. McFly

McFly Registered

Man, nobody came to help you out...

That error is a result of the server not being able to find the installed mod to serve. Sounds insane I know, since it found the mod just fine when you started the server, but I suspect that logic and the logic used at request time are not exactly the same. I bumped into this one a bunch a few days ago when I was setting up the server the first time myself.

Take a look at the troubleshooting section of this guide:

https://github.com/afloesch/rfactor2-server-setup

And also the section on Using ModMgr could be helpful since it talks a little about the pathing issue I'm referring to.

justposted likes this.
  3. justposted

justposted Registered

I've just had, and solved, this issue.

For me it was because I had moved my server folder to a different drive (I hadn't appreciated that I'd need >50GB to include all the Competition content), but MAS was holding onto the old location. Once I manually replaced the path in rfactor2-dedicated\UserData\playerplayer.JSON and recreated my mod packages, that solved it.

4. grfctor

grfctor Registered

Hi both - thanks for your replies. I am going to try your suggestions and see how I get on.

5. grfctor

grfctor Registered

I tried these suggestions, updated the build, and followed every other guide I could find (multiple times), and gave up in the end. It's a real shame that this is so horrible to set up. Thanks again.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

@grfctor didn't notice this Thread before, so i answer a bit late. :)
    Just one Question:
    When the Dedi and the Game are on the same Machine, why do you want to get the Server Mod downloaded?
    Just copy it from the Dedi, put it into the Games Packages Folder and install it in the Game.
    Maybe i misunderstand something here, but i don't see the Problem.