Practice time set to Random

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Depco, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Depco

Depco Registered

I have been hosting several rF2 servers on a dedicated machine. After the last Windows 10 update I have had a problem with the server being set to start practices at a random time. I have used several text editors (running as administrators) top try to set the Practice start time to -1 instead of -3. Every time I save and close the editor, I then try to restart the servers. Upon restarting the servers the Player.json resets back to:

"Practice1StartingTime":-3

I am using the Dediserver management program from Noel Hubbard.

I can't get the servers to move back to what the default RFM time. What am I doing wrong or overlooking? HELP!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to be clear, is the server stopped when you're editing the .json file? And then starting it?

3. Depco

Depco Registered

Yes that is correct. I stop the server, open the .json and then edit it. I then restart the server. I go back and check the .json and it has been reset to the original random starting time setting. I have used Windows notepad and Notepad++ to edit the file with no luck. I am using Windows 10, on a dual core Pentium D with 6GB RAM.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

You mean you can't save the edits, or the edit is saved but rF2 overwrites it on next start? Also make sure you have a comma after the row, like this:

"Practice1StartingTime":-1,

5. Depco

Depco Registered

this

6. AceLain

AceLain Registered

The deli Management of Noel as a value for the Practice Start Time, does it work if you change it there ?

7. Depco

Depco Registered

the time there is always reset back to 11:58 AM, even when I click the save botton.

8. AceLain

AceLain Registered

Try deleting the player file maybe ?

See what happen

9. Depco

Depco Registered

that was my next step, but im scared to do so... I am using the lite build for the server since the SteamCMD version of the server was not working properly when I tried to transition to it. Do I delete the player file and then run the installer again?

10. AceLain

AceLain Registered

No
    In fact, just rename it, when you lunch the server, the game shouls create a new one

If their is a problem you still have the old player that you renamed...

11. Depco

Depco Registered

I renamed the Player folder and had rF2 rebuild it. I then ran Noel's Dedi-Manager. The server was again reset to random start time. I decided to start the server through the rF2 launcher after editing the player.json again to see if I would have different results. To my surprise the server appeared to be working correctly. I had a practice start time in the daytime and the Player.json had not been changed to random start time.

I have now deleted the Dedi-Manager and will re-Dl it to see if it had been corrupted in some way.

12. Depco

Depco Registered

After some more investigation it appears that the player .json was resetting to random under the hosting tab as well as the Dedi-Manager tool and I just got lucky that the first loadup was daytime. I ran out of time to troubleshoot the problem for today. (I owe, I owe, so its off to work I go) I'll try again on Monday as I don't wish to goof around with the server any longer due to our Sunday Pre-Season race.

13. stonec

stonec Registered

I suggest you contact Noel Hibbard, because I have never seen anyone with that problem using the stock game. I have hosted rF2 for years and not once has it happened.

14. Depco

Depco Registered

I uninstalled all my rF2 installations from the server, including scrubbing the registry. I then re-installed the lite build of rF2. I rebuilt the .rfmod used for our upcoming GT Cup points series and installed it along with the cars and tracks. Upon starting the server through the "Host" tab on the rF2 launcher it worked as intended. I then restarted the server using the rF2 dedimanager.exe by Noel. The player.json was reset to random practice start time again. I shut the server down and edited the .json and then fired up the server through the Host tab again. Working as intended. I am befuddled.

This certainly is a new one to me too and I have been hosting for the better part of a year if not a bit longer, all the while using Noel's excellent program. I will PM Noel and see if he has any suggestions.