Poznan Circuit by SimRacing.pl - WIP

Discussion in 'Locations' started by feels3, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I think you are looking at it the wrong way - like feels3 said it is a compromise between performance and detail (ok also time but lets leave it out). So you should not talk bad about iRacing tracks even with those issues because in the end they are there because of the performance limitations. I'm sure they could have solved it if they lowered detail all around. Instead they chose for more detail where it matters and less where it doesn't matter so much. Or they could have higher minimum hardware requirements. In the end the players got the best deal.

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh I`m aware it`s a compromise Abriel... I was truly shocked when I saw the screens though as I`ve heard so many people rave about the quality of iRacing`s tracks that I was taken aback when I saw them.

I realise these compromises are made in most games/sims and that`s fair enough, as I said the pics were just an eye opener for me as I didn`t expect them to be that low quality albeit only in places that don`t really matter...

3. Richard Chmielewski

Richard Chmielewski Registered

As far as time goes, no one is rushing you to work faster, or to move on to the next project before the first are done.

To me, comments like, "nice job", "keep going", "I can't wait to drive it". don't really help out a modder any. Except for maybe a moral/ego boost, they really don't help provide any feedback.

To me, the track side object, a pit building from my understanding, it didn't look that impressive. 4 sides and a roof. The windows are just textured on, not modeled? Similar to how things were modeled ages ago. If this track side object is on pit road, and I drive by it every time I leave pit lane, I want it to look real. I want it to be modeled as if it were a structurally engineered building. That is just my preference. I know rF2 and my PC can handle it. Does it matter to my racing line, no.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

+1 to above post.

I usually don't post in modders threads but Richard is right. Trackside "life" is dead in the modded tracks which makes them feel a bit incomplete. Feels does great work so don't get me wrong here in thinking I'm bashing his work. I'm just trying to provide constructive criticism. Mills is a perfect example of a track with nice off track "life".

Just my two cents. :p

5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Mills is the worst track in rF2,it looks horrible!

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You obviously didn't understand a word I said. :p I'm not going to even argue with someone who doesn't speak english. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Spa windows are modeled why others can't do the same in the future.

I would think texture worries 1 year after Gold will be forgotten. :)

8. mianiak

mianiak Registered

These guys are right, It's human nature to always do better than before, I don't think it's fair for anyone to jump on anyone who criticises anything. There is always a silent majority who don't speak out because it's not ethical to put peoples work down, but when you get one who does speak out, it's important to take note and appreciate that someone had the courage to speak up. Richard has taken the time to explain himself, which shows he is genuine and has put aside time to offer feedback.

Personally, if someone said that about my work, I'd go and work on what they pointed out. 'cause in the end, the modder wants to please as many people as possible. Of course there are limits, you can't have everything exactly perfect down to the mm.

9. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Few things that I have to explain.

Track has at the moment over 1,5mln polys (Croft ~ 0,6mln, Putnam Park 0,4mln) - without trees, which I would like to have in 3d, not simple billboards.

The second thing is that yellow building looks exactly like in real life (ok, windows are 3d ;) ), it's very, very simple, and as I mentioned in my earlier post everything is a compromise, so at the end this small building (which is one of many objects on track**) looks how it looks.

So please, read my eariler post again :) link http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/8177-Poznan-Circuit-by-SimRacing-pl-WIP?p=114774&viewfull=1#post114774

iRacing Spa is two years old, but you can find the same things in Oran Park which was released one week ago.
    Important objects - high details/textures
    Trackside objects - lower details/textures resolution.

This is how it works. Poznan is no exception :)

Pit lane area have so many details, that this building isn't too important for me.
    I prefer to add details there where it's really needed like here:

Fully 3d barrier (not simple texture)
    http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_861.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_862.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_863.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_864.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_865.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_866.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_867.JPG

------
    ** http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_860.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/GRAB_868.JPG

It doesn't work in that way. You have more experience than me and you know that compromises are necessary.
    Your track is also good example (the same as iRacing tracks) that there is no need to add details in unnecessary places :)

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/WIP/GRAB_865.JPG

http://feels3.strefa.pl/sim/srpl/poznan/WIP/GRAB_867.JPG

But when I drive at your track, it looks very good from cockpit view.

So it's not about who is right or not but about compromises.
    Compromises between quality, performance and time.

Of course if guys you still have questions, I will try to answer :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  10. canastos

canastos Registered

And let me add this: has someone, except feels3, already tested this track?; do you really get so much information from this mid-res pictures?
    I don't think so; then let's go back to the "no rush" subject, instead of evaluating something that is not avaliable (yet :p)

byyyyyyyyyyyye

11. feels3

Canastos, they have right to express their own opinion. There is nothing wrong with that :)

Few months ago, before I started modding, I was doing the same, but now I know a bit more about how it works and I'm trying to explain few things :)

12. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

People are complaining about windows on the pit building..

13. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Not complaining, offering feedback :). These small things can really have a big impact in final quality.

feels3, I saw that ;). and yes your right about the one on the hill, but the one in the infield was just me being lazy :D.

Here is a comparison on how I do it now compared to then. One thing I think is missing from your building windows are window frames, do the windows go right up to the wall there? The frames are a simple thing, 16 tris each, but make a big difference when defining the model, especially after you add AO shading.

[ED] sorry, not the one one the hill, I confused myself with something else I was thinking of.

Attached Files:

14. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

No, actually only one (yes 1) has complained. Anyway let him complain...for all others (who know a bit about compromises) - keep up the excellent work feels3!

15. feels3

But that's what I'm trying to explain is that building don't have any impact in final quality :)
    This is one of over hundred objects in pit lane area.

I showed you examples from iRacing tracks, they are working in the same way.
    And those examples on your track, they look good from cockpit view and this is more important for most of racers.

I know that you can offer much higher quality, you can add much more detail, but that's not the point :) The point is that you have think twice before you add some details, because it's sometimes not worth to do that.

Anyway, thanks for feedback :)

If at the end of project, I will have good performance on track, maybe I will add some "unnecessary" details ;)

16. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I know what you mean, but I would still add them in anyway, maybe give it a try and see how it turns out? It can't hurt, its a 5 minute job, just extrude the window face to 0.0, then scale that face down a bit, then extrude it back 5cm, fix up the mapping and its done.

3dsmax 2012-11-15 21-08-52-03.jpg 3dsmax 2012-11-15 21-09-00-39.jpg 3dsmax 2012-11-15 21-09-31-42.jpg

17. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I wouldn't say this is an un-necessary detail, its something that when you see it out of the corner of your eye, becomes a sharp definition. The cost of 16 tri's per window is nothing. But anyway, I don't want to force you to do it :p, I'm just sharing some of the advice that has been given to me over my learning stages.

18. feels3

19. ethone

ethone Registered

There's a decent way to offer constructive criticism and there's a rude way where it takes someone four (!) posts to even mention a specific instance instead of just voicing general discontent.
    I'd say don't be surprised if your nitpicking isn't taken seriously if presented in that way. And don't be surprised if nobody else takes up track modding if that's how the best track modder we have is treated.

1 person likes this.
  20. tjc

tjc Registered

+1

Well said ethone...

I`ve said this many times already around here but it takes nothing to voice your opinion in a friendly manner and still get your point across...

Remember people have feelings that can be hurt and imo there`s no need for that to happen.

There are some on here that look to pick fights and be rude in the way they say their bit which is just childish, there are others that are here to troll and nothing more.

(You all know who you are)

Grow up and if you can`t be polite and also constructive in your posts/crits then leave your thoughts in the toilet...