POTATO (Pickup & Play public server)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul McC, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Seeing as there seems to be more activity on these boards than there is in the games lobby I thought I’d post this here.

I’ve set up a server for today which I’m gunna leave running for most of the day, it’s setup to be pickup and play so it’s all S397 content so you shouldn’t have to wait for downloads.

single make car to keep things equal, no long practice sessions just 30mins of quali & 20mins race so should be a race every 50mins (or sooner if you all use the voting system to go straight to race), real road is set to auto save so tracks should get well rubbered by the end of the day, you may even see some weather!

Car is: McLaren M23 (which I tried today for the first time, it’s Awsome!)

Tracks are: Portugal, Lime Rock, Silverstone, São Paulo & Zandvoort. (Ive dome a track rotation to stop folks getting too used to one track and setup to keep things even when newcomers join).

The server has a maximum limit of 3 A.I. Allowed and no more! At a sensible but challenging skill level.
    This is just so you’ve got a time to compare if you join and there’s no one there, just add an A.I.

So there you go! A server you can join today which is guaranteed to be simple and fun with lots of racing, no endless practice sessions and no ridiculous number of A.I.

SERVER NAME: POTATO

See you on track, have fun!

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

P.S. This is free, not for profit and I am not officiated with S397 in anyway. Just doing this for some decent pick up and play casual racing to help with Covid19 boredom. I’ll be sitting practicing the guitar and watching the server when I want a break.

Oh look, 4 drivers already!

3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Next race starts, er, now!

4. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Wow! That was amazing! I think this M23 is my new favourite thing!

A bit more info: After first session 4 drivers joined, pings all seem good, I’ve got a wired connection so I’m running steady all day!

Damage is set to 100% and there are no full course yellows so play nice folks, else you’ll feck up your car!
    No TC or ABS on these things, proper drivers car.
    For those of you without the means I have enabled auto clutch and auto gears though, cause I wanna keep this accessible. All the content I’m using also runs very well FPS wise, for those of you with lower end machines!

Anyway, back to it!

atomed likes this.
  5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Oh man that was great! 7 of us on track at São Paulo whe the sky went dark halfway through the race, the rain came down and the track turned into a sheet of water reflecting the sky & these things, in the wet! Felt like invoking the spirit of Senna!

Today is a good day! I’m gunna run this till midnight!

Karsten Hvidberg likes this.
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Registered

Awesome! Hoping to join when family allows....

Paul McC likes this.
  7. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Great stuff mate, having a blast so far, now at Silverstone!

8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

OH VERY IMPORTANT! Check the tracks pit lane limit when leaving garage as these cars don’t have limiters and tracks have different pit speed limits! Caught a couple of folks out so far, but it just gives you a stop and go penalties so it’s not the end of the world

9. Karsten Hvidberg

I really hope you will keep this up to some degree.
    A stable place to go join for 397 content only might be able to pick up some folks over time.
    Maybe let us know when the more popular times happen to be.
    OH... The rain is hard on that m23, I learned

Paul McC likes this.
  10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Oh I intend to, today has been great! These cars for the insane power they have aren’t too bad in the rain! Server is still up, I’m just having a break, takes a lot of concerntation keeping it together in the wet

11. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Oh, and they bloody love Silverstone these cars!

12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Gunna shut up shop for tonight now, server ran for 11 hours and I’m a bit tired now. Start up again tomorrow, cheers all!

13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok folks server is back up again!

I see over 250 folks have already viewed this thread, out of those folks im sure we can fill a 23 slot server!

14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

This is a good point about busy times. So, here's a question for you all: What times are best for you folks, please just leave a quick answer in this thread. Ta!

15. Karsten Hvidberg

I will try to join when others can. Might also help popularity if you also posted car/track combo that will be on for some specific time. Not all of the time, but those few times a day maybe?
    So might help to know the cats and tracks people would like?

In short:

I will try to join at least once a day around 9pm CEST

16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Car and track combo for today is same as stated in first post of this thread. It seemed to work well. In the future I will be posting a question or pole to find out what folks would like car & track wise. But remember folks, it's got to be official content only, and for the time being at least, I'll be sticking with free official content not paid dlc, that's only because I want to keep it as easily accessible as possible.. Enjoy!

17. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

If we can fill this server today I will be popping in and out and saving replays of races to make a highlights video which I will post here so you can all see yourselves racing

18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Have adjusted weather since yesterday so hopefully there will be weather changes but with slightly less chance of rain, we'll see if it works, yesterday was about 50/50 over the course of a full cycle of all the tracks.

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Just been and had a look and we have visitors already, think I'll jump in for a bit cause it's raining cats n dogs outside so why not

pkelly likes this.
  20. Goncalo Costa

Goncalo Costa Registered

It's an amazing Idea but could you also cycle the cars?

Karsten Hvidberg and Paul McC like this.