Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mrp510

mrp510 Registered

I just paid for this beta and started the game...It says no cars or tracks installed.
    Can someone help?

2. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

Anyone tried online yet?

3. Lars Strijdonck

Lars Strijdonck Registered

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

have you downloads/installed the mods yet (the 60's F3.5 and Megane?).

If not, put them in the folder "packages" and then load up "manage mods", right click them and choose "install". If you see a * next to a mod, it means there is an update ready, so then right click and choose "update".

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Yes I was online for half hour or so. Not long enough to have an opinion. I didn't see anything strange even though some online issues were mentioned in the known issues readme.

6. corsa

corsa Registered

Obviously you've never experienced the Apple iOS betas that us iOS developers are given leading up to a new release.... this rF2 beta is far more usable than those are! ;)

After a couple hours of driving, I have to say the FFB with my Fanatec GT3 RS wheel is some of the best I've ever experienced, including netKar pro. And I didn't even have to dink around with it, I just had it auto-detect my Porsche wheel!

As others of said, the physics are impressive, and the cars really do feel connected to the road. Also, the sense of speed as your flying through Spa is amazing.

Framerates are respectable on my Windows 7 64-bit, 2.45 GHz AMD Athlon II, 4 GB RAM, with dual ATI 5770 cards in it, but hopefully there is some optimization to come. There are a few weird graphics glitches here and there, but nothing that is a show-stopper for a beta.

Looking forward to seeing this progress!

7. Syonco

Syonco Registered

So far it's ok, cars are fun and has a good feeling to them. What really bugs me though is the graphics. Far too long have we had to choose from either good gfx, bad physics. Why not do both?

5760x1080 -> all maxed out and it still looks like a 2004-2005 title.

8. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

First run, and it's a Beta really :)
    I need absolutely what is recommended as parameter on these following points to get a good eye looking and about 60 FPS with (like in the 2nd video posted on Monaco).
    - Parameter on the nVidia panel
    - Parameter in the game

And the recommended values for the Logitech panel on a G25 before continue with the beta.

Today, impossible to play, FPS not constant and about 12-20 FPS !!!! So impossible to drive and get a real feedback.

I have a SLI of 460 GTX (2x) and an i5 2500 with 8Gb of RAM and 1680*1050 resolution.

9. RMayfield

RMayfield Registered

i have the first iteration i5 (overclocked to 3.1GHz), 12 GB of ram, and 1 768MB GTX (overclocked, but rFactor also says it has 4GB of memory for the card) and I am able to run everything on at least high with 2x filtering at 1680x1050. do some benchmark tests with your rig Mad_King

10. Growler

Growler Registered

So far everything runs great. Great emmersion as well.

The only negative I can say is that clicking on the shortcut doesn't always start the launcher. I have tried running as administrator and compatability with XP (I'm running Win7 64bit) and none of them work straight away...however if I leave it for about 5 mins or so the launcher pops up?
    If anyone has any ideas as to why it would be most appreciated.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

The megane feels awesome! The car is very predicable in a power slide, so much fun! Power slide a bit too much, too fast and the tires are cooked in no time spinning out under throttle. The more I drive this the more I like it and it's only going to get better. Stick with this fellas. :D

Definitely sucks for you guys having FPS issues.

12. mrp510

mrp510 Registered

Ok,I've located the packages folder in rFactor2,am downloading the files now.

Thanks for the help.

13. MinDBlanK

MinDBlanK Registered

Your talking utter rubbish....

14. Pete-W

Pete-W Registered

I was going to post earlier, but since i got this installed this morning i've been racing it pretty much all day and i havent had any problems at all.

So my first impressions are good, it runs great on my system. When i am on the track by myself in the Megane at Malaysia the FPS are 200 upwards with a drop here and there. With 8 other cars on the track i was getting from 80fps up to around 100fps.

At Spa in the 60's F1's i'm getting around 150fps, but i didnt try it with other cars because i'm still trying to tweak my steering wheel so that i can stay on the track LOL.

IMO so far ISI have done an excellent job with this and i'm not dissapointed at all.

What i have said is not to say i think it is perfect and that everyone else should have the same experience, i just wanted to let ISI know that with my specs, at the moment it runs pretty smooth. I thought my cpu was going to hold me back and i almost invested in liquidcooling so that i could overclock it............but i'll wait and see what the future builds of RF2 bring before i worry about that.

15. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

If you are giving some fps rates, then also tell what resolution and details you run, so that we can have some reference.

16. Giz

Giz Registered

17. blaknift

blaknift Registered

Haha! Saw that too. Didnt put enough buttons on my button box! lol

18. Pete-W

Pete-W Registered

No problem.

In game settings are

Display settings
    Circuit detail, player detail, opponent detail, texture detail all on full. Texture filter - trilinear, special effects - full, shadows - high, shadow blur - off, movies - on, road reflection - yes, sun occlusion - yes, rain drops - yes, environment reflection - yes, wind and crowd motion - no, headsup display - on, view - cockpit, mirrors - on, steering wheel - on and vertical fov - default.

In audio i have effects set to 32. I might have to change it if i get any performance hits with it.

Video Res
    Resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 32bit, Refresh rate - 120hz, anti aliasing - lvl 4, hdr - off, widescreen ui - on

The fps in the megane were before i changed road reflection, sun occlusion and environment reflection to yes, but they were set to that when i tried the 60's F1 at Spa. One of those changes or all have hit the fps in the Megane down to mid 100's, sometime tomorrow i'll try it with other cars on the track.

Hope that helps.

19. Stefaan

Stefaan Registered

Can't shake the feeling of disappointment and it's due to performance and graphics.

I am hopeful that performance can be resolved going through the betas but I'm running 3xGTX 580 in SLI and a core i7 at 4.2 GHZ overlocked and my FPS is pathetic, surely the hardware can't be a limiting factor here.

I remember discussing graphics in a youtube vid with one of the rfactor devs and reading about how much capabilities of DX9 remain untapped but I'm sorry to say I can't believe they look hardly better then RF1, sure the spa track looks nice enough but imo doesn't do anything more on the visual side then something like Virtua LM did with Mid Ohio on RF1.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't expect any visual miracles after the beta phase, being stuck with DX9 means it will simply never manage to get that subtle sheen that gives things a photoreal look, something I so desire to see in a racing sim one day.
    Graphics don't make a game/sim but this is a major let down. I'm no fan of the sepia look of the arcada racers but they even provide greater fidelity with DX9 then RF2 does here based on what they manage to look like on a 360 which is a DX9 system.

Great sensation of speed, physics and FFB and sure more intricacies to be discovered and hopefully some large targa florio type tracks to run well on RF2 but after 6 years I guess I was hoping for a revolutionary rfactor 2, not an evolutionary 1.5.
    Sure I'll be playing this, I'll undoubtedly be playing this a lot but I will still start every race with the first impression of "darn I wish it looked as great as it feels" and if CARS or GTR3 manages to deliver on both fronts then I fear that RF2 will end up being superseded which would really be a shame as it really is my favourite simracer till this day.

Oh what is that repeating thumping/scraping sound in the 60's formula cars, it seems to be simulating the sound of something but it's utterly annoying.

20. Shadowrydr

Shadowrydr Registered

Great so Far

Other than the default setups... which are not real good...:(... The graphics are great on my GTX 570HD with everything turned up to full or High... The FFB is a bit much.. Having a blast in the old formulas..