Post your initial impressions here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mclaren777, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Aha! We DO have independent adjusment then? Great to hear (I was going to plead for it). :D

Will try that my next time out, thx!

CS

2. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Just want to report something I've noticed about the damage.

Two things -

1) It seems that in the replay after I've crashed, the damage has already been done. If this makes sense. I crashed in Monaco and my engine went on fire. But during the replay it was already on fire :)

2) When I crash a Renault 3.5 (not tested with other cars) and the front and rear end come up, when I press ESC to go back to the pits they are still gone, but no damage is showing on the HUD model. Any ideas?

3. Toonces

Toonces Registered

You sir, are the very definition of what beta testing is all about. Thank you very much for all your efforts (successful, it seems) and for sharing it with us...in detail. I, for one, will try every one of your tweaks (except for the ATI-specific; I'm in an nVidia phase). Much appreciated.

4. 10speed

10speed Registered

For now I am really enjoying the BETA. There are some minor letdowns, but overall you can clearly see the potential. Just recall how rfactor evolved over time ... Honestly the graphics didn't impress me at first because the lighting was too extreme in my opinion. Sometimes the road surface seems to lose its structure and turns into a nearly plain white area, very unrealistic - I thought. But then when I drove my real car today and the sun was low there was exactly the same effect. Good work ISI.

5. jedontrack

jedontrack Registered

So far I'm loving it, I have to admit I was not expecting such an improvement, the game has really exceeded my expectations. One thing I am noticing is the Renault megan series runs very poorly, my PC should be up to spec, and can handle all the formula renault sereies. Other than that I am loving every second :)

6. Syonco

Syonco Registered

The more i play with the 60's cars, the more i smile! They are beasts, i love em'!
    But when i look at the Megane... I can't help but to think "wtf is this? 2001?"... Am i the only one who thinks that car looks utter crap? Interior that is.. The steering wheel / LCD display looks so bad jesus christ.. Please, is the quality going to be raised for interiors? the 60's are ok but the rest are ****.

7. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Didn't know what to make of it the first few day but the yesterday and today it has all just come together and made sense. I think the graphics at first dissapointed me and i had the rattling. Managed to sort the rattling and think graphically it's superb in comparison to rF1, it's all the little details rF2 seems to excel with., i find it's look quite charming, although some cars still have that cartooney look but the track detail is something else at SPA and F1 cockpits are really very nice and that's all that matters at the end of day. Physics and FFB feel really really good personally, not conivnced by the upto date Formula/GP2? cars physics but old F1,F2 and F3 are really something else.

I hated the Megane mods for rF1 but adore the Megane in this.

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I feel your pain man! It's still beta so a lot will probably happen later on. I'm hoping for a miracle between now and the official release as far as the Megane is concerned. Everything else is on par with what I expected. The Megane is the car I most anticipated driving but for me anyway, it just seems to be lacking something. I can't quite put my finger on it. I expected it to be a snarling snorting 'beast'...instead it just sounds 'clinical' and tinny. No popping exhaust, no power sliding monster. I do love the 60's racer and the Renault racer though. I'm having 'tons' of fun with those.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
  9. rml64

rml64 Registered

So far, I am very happy with the BETA. This seems to have alot of potential. The only problem I am seeing so far is with the Megane's. I have that "stuttering" problem with them, not undriveable....just iratating. Everything else has worked fine. Lots of fun driveing in the rain.

10. Sderenno

Sderenno Registered

11. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

I wanted to follow up on my post about UI design with this link:

Bruce Tognazzini on Interaction Design

Tog has consulted for Apple and many other computer companies relating to interface design, and I think he has a lot of insight to share.

12. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Registered

what car is that? the only cars in the beta is the old 60's f1-f3 cars and the renault megan?

13. Hybrid

Hybrid Registered

And the Formula Renault 3.5. ;)

14. slawek

slawek Registered

Just wanted to say big THANK YOU to the ISI. This is what I was waiting for the long time. Now I can feel the car like in RBR, just do whatever I want and still stay on the track. I have tried almost every sims and spent last year with iRacing but I never had so much fun driving as Megane on Estoril. I can do perfectly clean laps and also have fun and drift that car in every corner.I am running very old PC and my concern was if I will be ale to play on lowest graphic but it runs perfectly on medium settings so I am very glad of that. Weather is another great thing in this sim, looks so good when sun comes down and cloudy sky turnes to the pink red colour. I can't wait for more great tracks and cars and I am so glad that I don't have to pay anymore 30 dolars for subscription and another money for cars and tracks. ISI you are GREAT!!!!

15. GothaR

GothaR Registered

Just a short report from me (at least I will try to shorten all my impressions :) )
    First to mention, I raced a lot in Live for Speed and Race07/GTR Evolution. I tried rFactor demo, but I totally didn't like physics and graphics. I also tried nkpro and iRacing, but nkpro doesn't support car mods and iRacing is too expensive and too american.
    So here I am with rF2, it has many features I have seen in different simulators, but now they are all in one + it has few unique features. I am looking forward to advanced rain simulation, I like track rubbering, day/night change, physics, force feedback, mod support and literally everything in rF2. I was a little afraid of physics, but it is much better than first rFactor.
    I hope graphics will be a little better and with better fps after the beta.
    I am looking forward to final release with all official cars and Nordschleife addon, then it will be the best sim on the scene without any doubt.

16. Rowhider

Rowhider Registered

Beta review

I've played to the BETA for about 5 hours this week-end, all is not perfect but my first impressions are good why:
    - The weather model is really impressive and response to my needs: the only thing that it should be improved is the transition when the rain stop to drop.
    - The tyre model is awesome, the progression between rFactor 1 and rFactor 2 is simply huge.
    - FFB, very good but need to be improve for my G27 (i found the topic on this point few minutes ago)
    - Cars default settings: not really drivable without driving aids for the 60's formula, suspensions very soft (too soft for me)

Graphics:
    - HDR rendering don't run with my Radeon, I don't know for other cards, I get graphical bugs with windows, too much light, deformed colors: unusable
    - No anti-aliasing yet... (Why it's running in developer's tools but not for play?)
    - I get an average of 20-30 FPS with my config with 20 cars (40-45FPS alone), but I get very hard slow down (my framerate drop to 10-12FPS in some specific points of circuits, very significant in Estoril)
    My computer=>E8500, RAM: 4Go, HD4870 1Go, Vista 32
    It seems I get a framerate slow down when my car lost the grip in a corner for example (same feeling in rFactor 1)

17. LeZaz

LeZaz Registered

That's exactly what I did but in those days, I didn't have a WiFi.
    So, to correct my situation, since I'm not online very often, I fixed my problem by bypassing my wifi and it works now.
    It means, when I want to host a dedicated server, I connect my internet cable directly into to my modem (bypassing wifi) and its works....

Tx to everyone who tried to help me out.

LeZaz

18. Charlie Buscher

Charlie Buscher Registered

I5-2500k
    GTX460
    G27 with T500rs pedals.

I spent a number of hours in an F2 and F1 car at Monaco this weekend and I have to say this sim is quite convincing in many ways.

I downloaded and installed it.
    Purchased without issue.
    Setup vid card (maxxed almost everything).
    Setup wheel and button inputs/settings.
    Jumped into an offline Monaco session with no other settings.

Did some laps, adjusted the gearing for the short straights and then jumped into an online session in the F2 car.
    After a bunch of laps I was approaching the 1:30.

At some point the rain came and parts of the track were getting wet. It didn't seem to affect traction much until the rain got heavier. Eventually the raining stopped and the racing line started to dry up.
    If I went off the dry line there was less traction. It also seemed like the rain cleaned the rubber off the track making traction fairly low for a few laps. After a bunch of laps the track dried and it began to rubber up again or thats what it seemed like was happening.
    I ran laps all the way through from dry, to drizzle, to raining, to drying up, it was very convincing and a lot of fun. The dry line forming was extremely convincing to me. I found myself working my line to keep the car in the dry line. I didn't know about the tracking drying so having it happen for the first time was a great surprise.
    How realistic or scripted all this is I'm not sure but it's a ton of fun.

After that I jumped in the F1A car and rejoined the same server. After a few laps to get used to the huge amount of extra horsepower I got my time down to a 1:26.0. T1 is a blast. Set it up right and it feels a lot like the Lotus 79 on iracing.

To me the graphics looks great. With the settings way up there isn't much to complain about. The one thing that bothered me was even with shadow blur on the tree leaf shadows on the front straight are too rigid. Blur helped but only about half way.

The sounds are kind of rough. Actually one of the more annoying things in the sim. Hard to tell if a car is approaching from behind or pulling away in front. Waaaaay to much reverb, I feel like I'm in a tunnel all the time. I tried a few different settings but none of them made a difference. Hopefully that will be worked on that some.

As far as the physics, I like it. There were things that happened where it felt real and had not experienced that feeling in any other sim. There were other things that were questionable but the good far outweighed the bad.

Anyone complaining is looking to complain about rF2. The sim is a pant load of fun and will make many many sim racers happy.
    I know I can't wait to do some more laps tonight.

19. isamu

isamu Registered

OK two questions:

1)Can anyone describe the behavior of the A.I. and whether or not they're a significant improvement over rF 1?

2)What is the single player mode like? Is there any kind of career campaign or monetization system? Or do you simply drive any car you want against the AI and that's it?

20. DriverN1

DriverN1 Registered

1) AI is better than rF1, but they still make mistakes and ram player's car even on low aggression setting. It's hard to have close long racing against fast AI. I tested a plenty of races against AI and must say that AI isn't completely stupid but it's not still very good.
    2) there's no any career mode. Just only single race.