Possible mod project? Change UI in replay to broadcast style

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by I3bullets, Jul 15, 2014.

1. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Since plugins can't be activated in replays but all (most) of the relevant information is already displayed in the default UI: Lap#, Driver's name, Sector time, lap time, position in grid. Why not use this and change the way it is displayed?! You can change the UI of the game - is this possible for replays, too? If so, is there anybody willing and capable of building a broadcast style UI for replays?
    Just something like that:
    http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/MzrnHlJy9Bc/0.jpg

It won't display all the info one could wish for (like a scrolling grid order etc.) but at least my videos of our league's races would be more informative.

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

This would be cool but the problem is the game doesn't provide a way to do a lot of the stuff you would want to do with a broadcast UI. But there is a plugin that will let you make really nice broadcast overlays which you can find here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19806-Tv-Plugin

3. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Thanks for your reply.

Sadly, that TV-Plugin doesn't work in replays.

Why do you say there isn't a way to do the "stuff" I propose? The default UI in replays DOES display info like driver's name, current lap, sector time and so on, doesn't it? It should be just a matter of adjusting graphics, nothing to do with programming. But then again I don't know anything about modding the UI :(

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Your right. You could do something very basic with what we already have but laid out better. But what you showed in that sample screenshot isn't possible with what the current UI provides.

Eduard Mallorquí, the creator of the minimalist UI has a basic broadcast UI but I don't think he has released it to the public.

Here is what he has right now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVMfixz9bg

5. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Exactly. Better than nothing I suppose :) That screenshot was more for showing a general way of composition.

I'd just like to do videos of races AFTER they happened ;) In fact, it is the only way I'd do them since they are just to show the highlights. I tried to create a simple overlay to add it in the video program but that takes a lot of effort: Painting the overlay, adjusting it for the driver and the lap in the scene and so on. That would work but it is just too much work considering all of it is almost there already - just not displayed well.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yeah that is a big limitation of the plugin API. But I suspect a lot of the data that is feed to the plugin API isn't included in the replay file which is why the plugin API is totally disabled in replay mode. I'm actually not even sure if what Eduard did in his broadcast UI would even work in replay mode. I've never really messed around with the UI much at all. Maybe you could put in a request in Eduard's minimalist thread about broadcast related stuff. Right now it looks like it's tailored to FSR so im guessing that is why he hasn't released it. But maybe he would be willing to make a more generic UI for the public.