Possible change in behavior of existing tires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lgel, Nov 2, 2017.

1. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

I often look around the opinion that the ground feeling of the rear wheels is not felt from FFB and it is difficult to operate.
    Even if the current FFB is the same as the actual vehicle, it is desirable that there is an FFB expression that can understand the condition of the rear wheel.

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

It isn't.

However FFB changes sometimes with slightest changes to... basically almost everything there is. One of the biggest contributors to FFB feel is chassis flex, unsprung masses and CoG (so weight distribution too). But I listed chassis flex as number one because it gets insane how big of a difference a small change can have. I'm all for real forces, some I like more some I like less but I want them there to stay. Having everything the same or thereabouts would be dull and what's more... If it was a feel that one loves but the other one hates, don't you agree that the latter one is a biiiiiiiiiiiit screwed? Now at least he has an options that he can go for and options that he turns down.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. Skan

Skan Registered

The FFB is felt from the ground under the rear wheels and the front wheels. The FFB even indicates the rear wheels slipping, spinning, sliding, and the friction of wheels locking. These FFB "problems" are a direct result of incorrect wheel calibration and/or unneeded adjustments made according to misinformation. There is no reason why you should have to change anything in the UI related to your controller every time you switch cars. That practice was bred from the problem described above. Adding caster was another round of misinformation bred from non calibrated wheel use.

You can look in the controller.json and see for yourself just how many (publicly disclosed) things go into the FFB. For example, if you have the hardware, you could have FFB forces on separate channels such as gearbox FFB on the clutch pedal or other devices (as mentioned in another thread but those posting didn't know it is currently possible) or other awesome things that you should view for yourself even if you are not going to change anything. Here is a rhetorical question illustrating the reason for this might be beneficial. If you do not even partially understand how something works, how can you say it needs to be fixed? If it needs to be fixed because you do not understand, that is debatably irrational.

The real problem is that these updated tires are not on the Panoz Roadster if I even spelled that right. Everything else can wait. Everything.

SPASKIS likes this.
  4. kimbo

kimbo Registered

S397 should continue as it is now, as the sensations in RF2 are unmatched, even with a low-end steering wheel like the one I use, g27

jayarrbee36, WiZPER and fsuarez79 like this.
  5. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

@LokiD If you want canned effects instead of real forces you have PC2 and AC for that.....no, thank you. I run a Logitech wheel (which is in the lower force spectrum of them all) and all I need is the Min force feedback setting combined with the individual car FFB multiplier for my wheel to come alive. Obviously not all mods feel great but that's due to the quality of the mods rather than game itself, all content developed by S397 so far feels awesome.

WiZPER, SPASKIS and kimbo like this.
  6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

sorry the old answer with my wheel not being calibrated is total bs and I won't believe that. I don't want canned effect I want an authentic feeling ffb. ac and pc has more consistent ffb in their sims than rf has. it feels at least that the same Dev has at least made them.

sorry I don't "buy" any of your excuses for the poor ffb in rf in many cars.

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Because AC always scales output to a maximum that the user chooses, all cars have same ffb range. That means driving a manual steering truck with high downforce is going to feel no heavier than driving a Mini on 3.5" wide tires... not realistic!

WiZPER likes this.
  8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

of course not , realistic would be doing it for real. I wouldn't expect those forces on my wheel. But I much prefer what we have on the new f2 than what we had before.

so if a dev has to tweak the force to make a t300 feel more like new f2 than old f2. I'm all in!

have a good Saturday nite gentleman

9. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I have an upgraded Fanatec CSR Elite, upgraded with more powerful industrial motors and inside motor cooling solution, capable of producing continuous 9Nm with high quality (constant force, perfectly linear, no fading with heat). Trying the GT3 pack was like a "shock and awe" experience regarding to FFB (although no military but a simracing experience). Even more the AMG GT3, I feel so much details! 15$ for 5 cars with this quality is IMO a bargain. I don't get this experience with other sims on the market. For me there are only these sims: rF2, iRacing and half AC (because half sim and half arcade).

iRacing simply cost too much with its prizing model and I don't even see an advantage over rF2 (except online racing). To be honest I very much think that e.g the Lotus 49 feels like there are a lot less physics and FFB details compared to rF2 historic F1.

AC looks nice and even works great for VR (better then rF2). but the physics and FFB most of the time feels wrong with my wheel. most of the cars let me feel a big gap in FFB at zero wheel position. I cant live with this and I don't trust the physics.

TL;DR: rF2 with its GT3 pack for me is unbeaten with its low prize but still superior quality compared to other sims on the market.

Korva7, WiZPER and kimbo like this.
  10. Skan

Skan Registered

Loki, if your wheel is not correcctly calibrated, how will rF2 and your wheel communicate the correct information to each other? It is a rhetorical question. Luckily whether you believe it or not, no simulation works properly without controller calibration being done correctly. Sure, plug and play will work but then you run the risk of wondering why strange things happen and forming your own opinions as to why this happens based on another title or a fellow non-calibrator's posts.

That brings me to a related second point. Why are any of you saying something works in "title a" or "title b" and not in rF2 or vice versa? This type of thinking is the same as assuming that all vehicles use the same gas or that all gloves feel the same. You know that gloves are different because you understand gloves. You know that different vehicles use different gas because you have been taught and understand that there are different types of fuel. Unless you truly know what an "engine" for a simulator is, does and the differences between each within the genre, you probably think they are similar. Unless you know the inner workings of the engine you are speaking on, you are probably going to somehow in your mind equate it with something in that genre. This is not a bad thing. As I said before, things can look (sound, smell, taste, feel) the same until you know the differences. You can change that by learning and experience so it's not at all a bad thing. Study, trial and error and observation are a few ways to go about further understanding anything. In this case, any of those methods simply require seat time.

Emery likes this.
  11. Amanda Simoni

Amanda Simoni Registered

I'm trying to model a truck. But it's hard to make it work, can anyone help me with this? Maybe someone who has done something similar can give me some tips.