SOLVED Possibility to edit tracks names in UI

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Louis, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Louis

Louis Registered

My true wish was to be able to uninstall tracks or mods trough UI, but i don´t think this is possible so at least i would like to have the ability to edit track and mods for better organizing

RoboCAT10, Guimengo and FS7 like this.
  2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

You mean the name of the mod?
    There is a way to do that, I made a tutorial a while ago to alter files; part can be used.
    Via ui is not possible I think.
    I will send more info when I get home and the tut.
    Have to write to you anyway.
    I can also send you the tut.

3. Louis

Louis Registered

Yes @Navigator. The track list inside game. Some tracks are named "autodrome...", "circuit...", some with fantasy names...
    Thanks

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay, you would have to repack the mods. Problem with that is; you will have "another version" when you go online and will not get in.
    As you say you are offline most of the time; it would be no problem.

Louis likes this.
  5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

FS7 and Louis like this.
  6. Louis

Louis Registered

Thanks. I wonder if they (s397) aren´t working to integrate MOD manager in the new UI. It would be easier to compare tracks versions and choose what to unistall ingame

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay, did some research! :)

Reinstalled my system with W10 and the dual boot (wanted to keep W7 also) doesn't work anymore; can't really try it out myself right now as I haven't set it all up properly.
    There is some trial and error involved anyway ;)

If I were you, I'd start with a track; go into your "installed" folder and just copy the .mas files from within that folder to some extra folder on your desktop (I believe the tut says so too).
    Open the Mas2.exe and unpack the .gdb file, save to your desktop or whatever.
    For the name thats stated IN the game, you would have to change the line "venue name". However; for the name in the launcher; that is the name you are going to give the mod in step 12 line A or B. As I said; some trial and error involved ;)

When trying this all out; uninstall the original. You don't want dual tracks or cars.

For cars; same thing, but then you have to change the .veh file for naming in the game, launcher again is the name in step 12, line A or B.
    Then, in the .veh file, you can alter the "Category" line. You will have to do that for all cars in that mod though.

When looking again for this topic, I just noticed it is in the wish list :)
    You were not looking for a way to alter, you were just wishing for it right? Sorry, didn't notice. Well, maybe now you do want to give it a go ;)

Good luck mate!

Louis and Guimengo like this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

Man, thanks a lot! I´ll install some track i downloaded just to do this test and not mess with workshop tracks installed.

"When looking again for this topic, I just noticed it is in the wish list :)
    You were not looking for a way to alter, you were just wishing for it right? Sorry, didn't notice. Well, maybe now you do want to give it a go
    "

I´m used to rf2 old days when you make a wish and pray for someone clever with any idea to get what you want, so i will try for sure :D
    ps: but to be fair with ISI, s397 doesn´t give either much attention to this part of the forum :(
    Thank you

Navigator likes this.
  9. Louis

Louis Registered

If i change in windows explorer folder and track name? I mean, i did open 6 .mas files and one .mft (this Mas file utility is not capable to open) with no gbt or name of the track (fantasy, like in menu or real in the mod im using for test)

ps: you know? lets make this a wish again :D

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Navigator likes this.
  10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Very busy right now, will come back to this later! Sorry.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ehhmm.....lets start over ;)

You do have the Mas2.exe, right? You are able to open it, right?
    If you click on a .mas file; it should open with Mas2.exe. If not, make it so ;)

Now some mas files don't open, saying something like unknown key; that's right, they are locked. Out of my head I say, those are not the ones you need to open anyway.

Now you got a track, a rfcmp file. You put that in your packages folder (or install out of Steam, same thing) and when you install it (or gets installed by Steam) there are several .mas files installed in a folder in your rF2 installation "installed".
    Lets say its the Zandvoort track; now there is a folder called Zandvoort and in there 4 mas files; you want to pick all of those (or just the one you want to alter, but to be sure; all) and copy them into a folder on your desktop (Zandvoort mas files or something).
    Work from there; the installed files you leave alone.
    Open the mas file by double clicking on it or open from the mas2.exe program (step 2, page 2) (Note, unpacking a file is more on page 1 and not properly explained in the tutorial.)
    For the .gdb file, you will probably need "Zandvoort.mas" but you just have to run through the 4 files if you can't find it right away.
    You don't have to unpack any mas files!
    When found, right click on the .gdb and select unpack (or was it extract? Anyway; DONT do "cut"!!); select your desktop or something else to put the .gdb in.
    You can just as well close Mas2.exe now.

Open and alter the .gdb as you wish, save. (Remember, the venue name is the one that shows up IN the game when selecting a track.)

Reopen (eh, could have just as well leave it open, lol) the mas file where the .gdb came from.
    Drag the altered file into the mas2.exe screen and you will see all files in there have their own path named behind it, the .gdb had a different path, coming from your desktop.
    Now click "create mas file" (step 7)

At this point, follow the tutorial. I can't say right now, but you would have to see what lines A and B do, but one of them is showing in the launcher/installer so you want to name that different also.

Of course you let the mas2.exe save the rfcmp to your packages folder.
    Uninstall the original and install the new one; trial and error from there in respect to the naming; just redo it if not okay ;)

Hope this helps!

Louis likes this.
  12. Louis

Louis Registered

you know? lets make this a wish
    If this won´t help i will stop posting in this forum. Only will comeback with screenshots. Now is about pride :D
    Thanks!

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hehe, don't feel bad if it doesn't work out the first time. Once you get it, it seems pretty easy, but getting that first time right......may cause some swearwords.
    The nice thing is; once you manage the repacking thing, you can start to alter any kind of file there is.
    So if you grow out to be a Nobelprice winning modder; include me in your speech ;)

14. Louis

Louis Registered

lol i´m close, i think

15. Louis

Louis Registered

Haters gonna hate :cool: :D
    20170606195002_1.jpg

Navigator likes this.
  16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I don't know how it was shown before, but can I take it you managed?

17. Louis

Louis Registered

Look 4 above the highlighted track (oschersleben 1.0)
    :D

Attached Files:

Seven Smiles and Navigator like this.
  18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hehe, lol, you managed! Nice mate!

Edit; owwww, it was already there in the first picture.......I may need glasses :)

Louis likes this.
  19. Louis

Louis Registered

Yes, it was. :D Thanks again
    @Navigator btw i dont think will work proprerly with steam workshop when updating
    Ill do for some special tracks, not on steam

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Navigator likes this.
  20. Filip

Filip Registered

Option of easy editing track and car names would be great but in new UI I would like more powerful features for organizing content.
    Maybe some kind of customizable views or possibility to add searchable tags to each item. Or description like we have in setup.

For casual players like me who have hundreds of mods and like to try many different combos it would be helpful.
    In currentvUI if I feel like driving hillclimb but I am not sure which and I dont remeber all the stuff I have installed then I have to browse through all of the tracks to find something. Sometimes I am not sure what is behind a track name. Only option is to load the track to find out. If I could search for "hillclimb"...

Or for instance if one wants to drive "light open wheeler" it would be handy to enter that text in some kind of search bar and he gets a list of all items that contain those tags and they are grouped in one place/view. That way possibilities would be infinite!
    One could add tags like "WIP" "greatlooking" "suerbphysics" or whatever he wants his own content to be classified

Louis likes this.