Populated Public Online Server?

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by felirrari, Mar 21, 2019.

1. felirrari

felirrari Registered

Hi, i'm an old rFactor driver and missing a lot some servers which I can turn on the PC, and find some races. Older drivers like me can remember BROS and other servers which has used popular mods (like Megane Trophy) and tracks (like Mills, Toban, Essington Park, Barcelona...) on rFactor 1, and we just had to open rFactor to find 20 - 30 drivers per race. They had short races and we just had to wait a little to enter the next circuit to race again. Of course there was a lot of crashes at the start, but we had so much fun. We actually only find leagues or servers with AI. Now we have a better sim, but I think we should use it better than is used now while S397 doesn't bring the competition system.

Now I ask you: Is there any server like this, and if not, what do you think to recreate something like this example? (not necessary use of Megane)
    EDIT:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    SRGP likes this.
  2. Rujasu

Rujasu Registered

It'd be nice for sure, but my experience of the server browser is such that it's unlikely anyone not purposefully looking for it would actually find it.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Absolutely, go ahead. The BROS (and other) servers were great to have as something you could turn up and race on (most of the time), I too had lots of fun on there despite some crashfests at times. Usually at least every 2 or 3 races you could have a really good race-long battle with someone. I think for a lot of us those races were a doorway into leagues, and a good backup when you were sick of practicing for league races. They also bred good racecraft because of the constant (short) races.

The question is obviously content. The Meganes seemed popular, from what I know they're probably not really up to date in rF2 though I could be wrong. I'd lean towards non-DLC content to keep everyone in the game - and you'd need all the numbers you can get. Some sort of nimble tintop is probably best, open-wheel drivers can still cope with those.

SRGP likes this.
  4. Corti

Corti Registered

I am a little new in this world, in rfactor I did not make online races and now I drive worse than AI. I started with that type of racing in ISR (P20'-Q20'-R20 ') 3 or 4 original tracks ISI and Meganes mod. We have thought to try a new system of livetiming.
    We will use the server so that we can enjoy again that formula.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Corti One of the keys of those rF1 servers was the quick turnaround; I can't remember the exact timings, but the race was 15 mins at most (possibly 12), and the other sessions were shorter. From a league point of view I'd never schedule such a short race, but when you get clumsy people (or plain wreckers) you don't want to be waiting an hour for the next race.

*I'm wondering if they even had Qual disabled and the grid was just from the practice times, but it's too long ago for me to be sure.

6. Corti

Corti Registered

OK. I take note, today things go faster. Thanks for the idea, the name of the test will be ~IsR~Express and sessions P10, Q5 and R15. As soon as I get home, I prepare it. The mod chosen Megane and three of the first tracks of ISI

felirrari and Cipher like this.
  7. SRGP

SRGP Registered

I started with the BROS Megane servers too !
    Already 10 years ago :oops:

I have tried and continue trying to revive such "quick races format" with the "Challenges". But it seems rF2 simracers are more interested in organized league racing. Or I have missed something :D

felirrari likes this.
  8. Corti

Corti Registered

Practice 10 min.
    Qualy 5 min.
    Race 15 min.

[​IMG]

felirrari likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@SRGP sadly I think at the moment there are simply fewer people around to jump on, and new people struggle with game issues or the browser itself. I know part of my problem will be timezones, I used to race a lot during my daytime as I was doing shift work but now I'm not - and that can make it difficult to race with either America or Europe.

10. felirrari

felirrari Registered

First step! And I remember racing a lot on ISR too. Now, lets spread and race on it! I'll be there tonight. But my time zone is GMT -3

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Corti likes this.
  11. ckmackey

ckmackey Registered

Bros was so fun! I raced there a lot in '09-'11 under the name Lemonade. I remember Diego, was somebody I raced against a bunch. Good times, wish that would come back to rF2 now.