Poor performance and bad graphics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think the shadows will be fixed by any track updates currently, they're looking at improving shadows but as far as I know it's not happening yet. (many of the 'issues' are just due to the shadow system)

If performance is very close, such a setting (like anything performance related) can help push you over that edge. With VR especially it can be make or break because dropping from the optimal frame rate is very noticeable.

In itself it doesn't have very much effect on FPS, and people generally are surprised at how little change it makes when you set the rearview distance to 4000 or similar, but if it's the difference between you hitting 90FPS or not in VR then of course it's worth it for you.

2. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Yes it can be that.

It improves performance just enough for me.

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

The bright grass could benefit from a overhaul to the track though. I do look forward to this shadow improvement.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am coming to say few words here just because the other thread that was locked and criticising Silverstone, which appeared to be all based on opinion from this thread.

I set myself to drive Silverstone today for this reason, it has been a while. Although my passion is learnign Targa Florio now, I did not regret at all spending and evening at Silverstone.

As for criticism for the grass brightness and trees being dark. This is my opinion. I think everything looks amazing. I think it is fair to say that grass is bit too bright, it does appear brightish when it is shaded in diffuse, but it is within boundaries of looking good and realistic IMO. Tress might be slight darkish on their low tones, when sun is behind them, but it is also within boundaries of looking good and realistic. I think the criticism for grass at diffuse brightness and trees being darkish at ambient brightness is valid, but nitpicking. The cars shading over headlights didn't appear weird with our endurance 1967 mod, so it shows that this depends on cars and very likelt headlights power as well.

I drove Silverstone in several races with all hours picked from early morning till night. And in my view the track is just superbly looking and immersive, and feels awesome. The only thing that bugs me is lack of few extra polygones for white lines in few turns. Grass looks bit brightish diffused, but not terrible. I was greatly immersed at Silverstone, great track, well done. It is close to perfect IMO.

Furthermore, I have a bit of a rant in topic of appreciation. I think S397 Silverstone now is one of the best made tracks in rF2, and saying that it needs an overhaul and that the latest update (move to full physically based rendering + overall huge update) was step down, surely couldn't be said with the right mind. It breaks my heart that such great improvements are often slept on by rF2 community. Especially from perspective of visuals, art and graphics. But so does obviously poor stuff usually. Seems like best fitting for typical rF2 guy is something mediocore - not bad, not great. Thats why no one talks when something is really great, or the opposite. The new level is of course disaproving great developments, such as Silverstone update of this summer. WE WANT MEDIOCORE PLS. I expect this from physics side, as everyone has slightly different perception of what realistic is, and mediocore expectations of how cars should be are very very likely, but visual stuff ? How differently can we perceive that ?

Jeremy Talbot and Remco Majoor like this.
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Me asking for the grass to be toned down in brightness isn't a criticism of the track on the whole but rather just the grass.

Remco Majoor and Lazza like this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I said that it is fair criticism and I also find the diffuse shading of it brightish. But there were someone quoting your opinion and using it as basis to downplay the work studio did on that track. Which results are definitely very good, but there are greater chances to hear pizza mentioned than a good word for good results.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You really don't like pizza talk eh?

2ndLastJedi made this thread, there's been discussion in it. There's no need to try to get the last word on another thread, here.

Nothing wrong with pizza by the way. Even with pineapple on it.

Oh, and as for the great work on the graphics engine and content, it was complimented many times - in the relevant thread(s).

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't. I disagree. And I haven't seen much of that. But criticism taken. I post too much. It isn't needed, or is it ? I have important things to say and I am deeply interested in many things. But maybe I am wrong, it is not important, maybe it is all pizza aka "shut up, you are being stupid and no one cares".

vittorio likes this.
  9. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Although I do have my opinion on the last few posts, I think it's better to keep this thread on topic. Since now you're doing exactly what you don't like on discord, which is going off-topic :p

Will Mazeo likes this.
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Even here by me :p eventually :rolleyes:

Remco Majoor and Lazza like this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Hey guys, sorry for causing bit of wave and this turning into this little bit of useless soap opera off topic that no one needs. I think I was slightly misunderstood, and perhaps it is my own fault not putting enough time of thinking out every word and letter I choose when posting and doing it in the first place, you are right. One day I'll change and act like all actually serious modders and devs has already taught themselves in terms of time management and the way they are active in simracing social online spaces - leave it in peace drifting on its own inertia in space of opinions of people who hasn't taught themselves to stop posting yet :D

P.S. The moral of the story is - yes, I agree, Silverstone grass diffuse shading might be bit too bright, but do we care about it so we could talk about it, obviously not. Grass and trees are some of the most sensitive topics in simracing computer games :D

Remco Majoor likes this.
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Someone PM'd me saying sorry for any off topic talk , this is my response to that :)

"Thanks mate but i'm actually fine with people talking , bitching or whatever in any thread i make ;) It helps build relationships , get all sorts of points and opinions . I know it will come back to the topic when/if it needs to but thanks mate :)"

Just don't be mean ;)

Remco Majoor likes this.
  13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Sorry to be off topic too, but that pizza talk causes more problems than it solves. as @mantasisg correctly said, at discord it was used to shut up interested people wanting to discuss about rF2 (yes, maybe annoying for the few old and ruling self-appointed discord owners, cause they already know everything, or they think so). i hope that pizza talk remains to be a "cool" rF2 discord thing only and not getting on official rF2 forum too.

To be on topic: the new posted screenshots of Nordschleife at latest August Roadmap looking very promising. Seems the way too dark rubbered RealRoad polygons got corrected. Nords looking a lot more realistic. Looking forward too!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    PatientRF2fan, 2ndLastJedi and lagg like this.
  14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

[​IMG]

AMillward likes this.
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

It's got to be BBQ chicken or nothing.

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Indeed it is!