Poor frame rates STILL

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by John, Feb 19, 2013.

1. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Correct, HDR is enabled, and no FXAA, it seems I get better performance if I use driver settings rather than in game config settings for AA.

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

What test did you do to get these results?:

http://www.passmark.com/baselines/V8/display.php?id=5170624755

3. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

This is going to sound silly, and it's not a biased opinion. Do you know anybody with an nVidia card? I would really be interested to see if a Brand change fixes your issues. I ran into this weird dilemma a couple years ago.

I was way overdue to upgrade my 8800GT, and i had a couple hundred bucks in best buy gift cards from x-mas i hadn't used. So i went to Best Buy, and they had a 230 dollar ATI card on sale for 180 bucks, it was by far the best deal for the specs, so i bought it.

Brought it home, it lowered my FPS in rFactor. I was shocked, and thought immediately i didn't have enough PSU or there was something wrong with the card, i was wrong. Downloaded a couple other games to test in comparison, they ran perfect. But rFactor ate this card for lunch, for no apparent reason. Took it back, got a GTX460, and my frames went through the roof. There was just something about my system that didn't like that ATI Card with rFactor. Made no sense, still doesn't.

4. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Your problem does seem strange?
    I have an intel i5 2500k @4.8Ghz, SSD drive, 8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz and two HD6950 in Crossfire (880/1300)
    Just tested at Spa in 60's cars with 20 AI
    all setting on max, including 16xAF
    1920x1200 (max of my 26" monitor)
    running the new 13.2 beta6 drivers

Race start is 67fps, and that soon goes up to 120+ during the race.
    up to 140+ when no cars near

198 when racing on my own at the track

that;s with Multisampling and performance filtering selected in CCC btw, if Supersampling and quality is selected in CCC the fps are about half, but with Video sync on it stays locked 60fps most of the time and is smooth

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

6. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

7. John

John Registered

Aha, I think I know the answer, and it is what I have been suspecting for a while. CPU clock rate. My HD6990 is basically a crossfired pair of 6950 gpu's on one pcb board. So theoretically they should be about equal if all other things are equal. One key difference between us in a passmark test is your ssd compare to my hdd, my hdd actually performs well in that test, but compare to a ssd is woeful. That is one aspect of the passmark scores discrepancy, but the really obvious difference between out PC's spec wise is the overclock you are running. The lower resolution your using also has an effect.

I obviously need to overclock my cpu to really gauge the difference in performance. I have never overclocked anything before, never had the money to burn if I got it wrong. I know my Haf 922 case is a good one with fantastic airflow, but I hate the idea of hanging a kilo plus of copper off the mainboard (seen the flex it causes) so a water cooler is the way to go, the Corsair H100i is the one I would use.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=22307

One thing I did notice is when I re-enabled Hyperthreading my passmark cpu score increased significantly putting it back above the lower spec i7-920. I am planning on firing up rf2 soonish today, sadly with autistic kids my "me time" is limited, and I will report back on my results.

Attached Files:

8. nipzon

nipzon Registered

I quickly read through this as I have on several occasions else where. You all seem to miss the point, it ok to turn stuff down and it wil most probably improve this, but, ISI denies everything like we are seeing things.

So many people are complaining about the same problem, LOW FPS's in game! For once ISI see the problem and tell us you are working on it!

9. John

John Registered

Spent a big chunk of today driving the 370Z around Estoril trying various things, first off using [NAR] Steve's settings plus Xfire set ot AFR Friendly and I was very happy to see immediate improvement with 80+ fps in the pits (all 20 AI in the pits also) whereas before I had a max of 41 fps.

I then tried MSAA instead of SSAA and the fps were around 90 also in the pits with the 20 AI present. I tried a few other things and found the biggest loss of fps is with road reflections turned on - literally the fps were halved. ISI need to address this. Because with road reflections turned off the game looks flat [dull].

I have actually forgotten what else I tried, because I discovered Assetto Corsa Preview had been released - so I got distracted and have since spent a good 3 hours driving that. The graphics in ACTP are a big step up, though still with it's own issues. Massive image tearing and flickering with all settings maxxed out and 333 to 499 fps (really) so I had to enable vsync to enjoy the pictures. And if you turn on some of the hud widgets the fps then drop markedly - apparently that is AMD driver issues.

I am about to dive back into rf2 (wife & kids in bed finally) to refresh my memory.

[edit] Ok, got some positive results finally - first I put the resolution up to 2560 x 1440 again, and using the ingame settings posted by [NAR] Steve plus the following CCC settings (attachment) I had the following result - starting from P15 of 21 my FPS on the grid and into the first 4 corners was between 51 fps and 69 fps, and it improved steadily as the field spread out until I saw a best of 125 fps at one point. Sadly while my fps have improved my driving has not as whilst in P9 I run into the back of an AI on the last corner (Estoril) and the resultant spin (the AI was ok - just kept driving) put me back to last which is where I stayed - mistake on mistake as I overdrive to catch up just made it worse. :eek:

ps just noticed Steve has visible vehicles set at 8 - I have mine set at 20.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013