Polygon and Triangle limits?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by KingKenny04, Feb 23, 2018.

1. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Hey everyone! I'm trying to get an idea for realistic Polygon and Triangle limits for cars in rF2. I've seen this question asked before but I've never seen an answer to it with a number. I'm investigating laser scan services and they're asking me for game engine limits for retopo services, and for that I need numbers, which I can't find anywhere. I know the old modding guides used a clio with 16k polys, but I'm sure rF2 in its current state can handle many more.

EDIT: I'm aiming for an external model that can handle something like 40 cars on track at once. Obviously LODs come into play there but that hopefully gives a performance target.

2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

As a rough ballpark, I would definitely stay well below 100.000 polygons for the whole model and make sure to have 5-10 LODs to ensure that you hit your 40 car target.

KingKenny04 likes this.
  3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Just to be clear. Thats 100,000 for the whole top lod model? Not all lods included.

4. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I did not say you should use 100k for your highest LOD, I said you should stay well below that as a rough estimate. I am not an expert at 3D modelling, but in general I would recommend doing a really high poly model first and then using that as the basis for all in-game LODs. Then test, there are so many parameters involved that a simple number by itself does not say that much.

KingKenny04 likes this.
  5. Gilles Benoit

Gilles Benoit Registered

Bonjour, here is a Open Office calc sheet that I wrote to compare polygons numbers and LODs between the official ISI Cobra and my rF2 Gasoline Alley. There are two "pages". On the second one you will find calculations from the cockpit view with different number of cars running in front at different distances.

Attached Files:

6. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Thanks for the responses! Since it seems like testing will be required, if I ever got the funding together to do the laser scan I would probably just have them make us a standard super high quality model and then do the retopo and texture work ourselves.

7. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Just remember that "Polygon" refer to any shape (NGon) that can be ~NTris, so it's always better to think in Triangles, which is the minimum unit. A 50K Polygon mesh can be 100KTris, as well as 500KTris, depends on the NGon. :)

Always think your mesh in Tris.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Tuttle So how many tris do you generally think? :D