Poll: Online Multiplayer Build 930 - Ready for Prime Time or Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Right, that is why a single install, single datapath, single launcher is easier to manage. Just create a shortcut for each server using the +profile option. Just like we did back in the rf1 days. Much easier to deal with.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

There were join issues with rF1 as well, people just don't remember. Quite often matchmaker was down (which never happens in rF2), meant you had to know IP of server and type it manually to connect. Even that didn't always work, sometimes you needed to add port number as well to see the server. No such things needed with rF2.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The intention of this topic is to discuss: What's the status of online multi-player in 930? Is it plug-and-play yet? Any common, recurring problems? Or is it finally ready for prime time?

Very confusing, I know, in a forum environment.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

In the 10 years of using rF1 I can count the number of times MM was down on one hand. As you said you could still join by ip/port so the MM wasn't even needed. In fact in rF1 I just created a shortcut using the +connect and +password options and it would launch and directly connect to the server. The join problems in rF2 are much more frequent due to the HTTP server not responding and there is no way around this problem right now. You just have to keep clicking on and off the server until you get lucky. Luckily this seems to only be a problem when the server is in heavy use. I the server only have 20 or so drivers then you probably will not experience this problem.

5. jimortality

jimortality Registered

Noel, you say there is no way around this problem right now, does that mean it's a big problem. I'm not technical lol so excuse my ignorance

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

We seem to only see this on race day when you have 40+ drivers all trying to join at the same time. In practice sessions it's fine because the joins are spread out. We don't always have problems on race day either. It's a bit random. If you have smaller field sizes it probably isn't an issue.

7. coops

coops Banned

Its not ready IMHO. Tim does the marketing so has to be passed by Tim i think 1st b4 it will be ready for that next step. So he might have his own list of things to be finished or yet to be introduced.