POLL / Driving Helps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrivingFast, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you use SOMETIMES the REAL IN-LiFE driving helps (TC/ABS), when the modded car have it ?

1. No driving help, *never* (no incar TC no ABS)

2. Yes *sometimes* (incar TC or ABS)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Do you use SOMETIMES the REAL IN-LiFE driving helps (TC/ABS), when the modded car have it ? (incar not in the UI)

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Pretty much always, and as little as possible. Some cars has (too much?) a lot of driving force grip, so I often use really low amount of TC with them, or none at all. As for braking traction pretty much the same, use just enough so you don't lock the wheels severely while obtaining optimum braking performance, and sometimes use more for even more aggressive trail braking.

But essentially I am a fan of classic cars which are designed with no abs and tc in mind, or late classics (90s) with simple abs and tc systems.

bwana likes this.
  3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

If it makes me faster, yes. But I don’t max out the TC, just have it so I can stamp on the gas mid corner and get a little bit of slip.

Don’t know why driver aids is such a dirty word. They’re just tools to make the cars easier to drive; they’re not talent replacers

Emery, McKiernan and mesfigas like this.
  4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yes, sometimes because i personally feel its harder in rF2 to notice where the Wheels lock and i end up with flat spotting. But tiny bit of ABS is the only thing i have. My hopes are that if i set it to LOW i can still lock them but only if i step on the brakes and keep them stepped on. :D I still use the brakes like i would without.

5. Mauro

Mauro Registered

driving helps are the dead of motorsport

DrivingFast and Alex72 like this.
  6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

after years of wrong driving help decisions i realized that are cars that made to drive them with driving aid
    like abs or tc and some other must learn to drive them without

EDIT :i learn to drive with zero aid help since begining of sim racing but i was wrong

Juwe Lahann likes this.
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

You're not less of a driver if you use driver aids. F1 cars had traction control in the early 2000s and everyone raves about how great those days were.

mesfigas likes this.
  8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Exactly.

Mauro likes this.
  9. kimbo

kimbo Registered

Driving helps is the cancer, formula e is the dead

DrivingFast likes this.
  10. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

TC and ABS itself are not bad, it is if they are used too much. You know that you need those slides, locks and stuff to perceive a speed as a spectator, and as a driver too.

But I'd say TC and ABS aren't bigger nonsense than insane downforce kits (that produces drag), 5-6-7m wheelbases and very wide trackwidths, that follows with stopped races as soon as it starts raining for real.

11. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

If the real car has such systems then not using them has nothing to do with simulation.
    Of course, in reality, it's a bit silly to call them "driving helps" - they're control systems, and refining them as needed is as much a part of setup as anything else.

Alex72, t0p5ecret, Emery and 6 others like this.
  12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

+1

13. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The only reason they have traction control and ABS on GT3 cars is because of the amount of amateurs and gentlemen racers that drive them. It's a safety thing, as well as the fact you'll have three different drivers driving them over the course of the race, especially at Daytona, Le Mans, Sebring etc.

Becuase the last thing the race organisers want is some gentleman racer braking for La Source, seeing three LMP1s coming up behind him, panicking and spinning the car out; wrecking him and several million quid's worth of LMP1 in the process.

Like I said, I don't know why people frown on it so much. It's not a talent replacer, and if you want 'muh realism' you'd have to run it on. If you turn it off, you're no more hardcore. I guarantee you Alonso ran his TC up at Le Mans last year, and all the GT3 drivers at Bathurst will crank the ABS up to get into the Chase quicker.

jayarrbee36 and mantasisg like this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Not only safety, for high performance car there will be a sweet spot in certain situation, when ABS and TC increase pace, and doesn't make it slower. No TC should be quite exciting in certain cars, but not fast if you can simply switch off TC then something is wrong in simulation if car is powerful. ABS is different thing, because it is simply how much brakes the car has, it is simply a design, ABS simply allows more brakes power, with no ABS brakes would simply be weaker and thats it.

I'm searching for no TC videos, can't really see a lot of them, I wonder why:

I'm youtube Indiana Jones

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Alex72, Juwe Lahann and Spyro like this.
  15. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

There is no "value judgment" to have. Both arguments can be perfectly defended. The purpose of the poll is simply to see your habits.

For me driving is 1000 times less exciting with aids or an electric car. If I had a Ferrari or Porsche, I would absolutely NEVER drive otherwise than with ESC OFF or RACE MODE (road/track/rain).
    Same on simulation.

But I respect people who do otherwise.

Alex72 likes this.
  16. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Schumacher so against TC you can hear it kicking in on all the onboards of the time XD

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

But he said that he likes the electronics.

By the way, which of these cars had any TC ? I love to watch this:

and this

Thats why I donwloaded ASR mods, they are lovely. Them and including cars from S397 Mclaren pack are a bit difficult with powerslides cars usually just snaps away with slightest increase of slip angle, especially in the rain, I love their twitchyness though, but slip angles are impossible to hold car "in extreme angle" for more than half a second.

18. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Sometimes I'll use them when learning a new mod, maybe 10-15 laps, than turn them off. Aids mask some of the setup effects. Most of my rF2 use is just taking laps and playing with setups for lap times.

19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

TC was banned in F1 in 1994, and allowed again between 2001 and 2008.

mantasisg likes this.
  20. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I usually use some abs but no TC. To me, controlling the throttle and car when coming out of corners is big part of the fun of driving.

Alex72, Juwe Lahann and Filip like this.