.PM .HDV Suspension Questions

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kristoff Rand, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I have a couple of questions about the suspension files and some things in them. I'm working on Nascar style Stock Car Suspension

1. I'm wondering how to know where the origin is on my suspension, like specific parts. like lower control arms? how do I know the origin point?

View attachment 1553

2. I have 8 undertray points in my suspension. they are rather high up 5 are right at the level of the spindles and 2 in the back are about the height of the top of the rim of the tire... is there some other use for these besides bottom of car bottom out? and if they are bottom out of car why would they be so high? is it simply a mistake? or would there be a reason?

View attachment 1552

3. would or should the the drive train bar be pointing toward the center of the car and down? should it not be level?

4. should the rear axle be inline with the rear wheel position? should it be lower then the wheel's center point? mine is lower than the center of the rear wheels..

5. is the fuel tank point called out in the hdv the top or bottom of the fuel tank?

6. should the point at which the upper and lower control arms meet the spindle be perpendicular? or not? my upper control arms seem to be inset slightly.

thanks for any help on these questions.

2. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Wow, my Suspension Editor still can be used to view rFactor2 files? :D didn't know that. I think I read somewhere that the .PM file for rF2 is different to rF1.

3. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I don't know how much it works for rF2... it seems to work. I'm editing in Note++ and opening and viewing my changes with your editor. very nice btw... just what the doctor ordered.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have not spotted much of difference, actually .pm file is one that works directly from rF1 from my experience.

Thanks from the tool, rfactor central had no download links to it so I put it up on my webspace so ppl can download it and use, hopefully that is ok? Link is at rfactorcentral.

There is no better tool for representing suspension setup graphically yet, so I think that quite lot of ppl are actually using your tool still and as it works for rF2 it is all the better :D

5. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Yeah, it's fine, have no problem with that. :)

I was surprised to see this tool still can read .HDV and the related .PM file without problem. Well, maybe there are several changes in rF2's .HDV file, but to Suspension Editor, the internal links to the .PM file that matter the most. If these links were changed, then it won't load the .PM file needed, and it can't render the suspension.

UPDATE:
    You can click here to download it.
    I also submitted the above link to rfactorcentral, might take a while before it gets validated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

.pm file is not something I consider my strongest know how, but I have managed to survive with it and I try to answer to you shortly as I have limited time at the moment, but put out questions and I come back to it with better time.

Your 8 undertray points are where you get sparks, when point touches ground, I think them as collision feelers, but for underside.

I'm not sure if bottom feeler affects to them also, but if you have set feelers at cg height at 1, set it to 0 and you can place everything accurately, otherwise at least feelers, maybe even undertray points are adjusted by the setting, also damage etc. works better when you set that to 0 and adjust everything to correct level.

Fuel tank position is center of fuel tank, imo.

Basically reference plane is 0 level and half from wheel base and wheel track is 0 levels for each, but some things like fueltank are measured from position of rear axle, some things like pushrods are measured from wheel center. Bars are measured from center point of wheelbase and track width which makes origin together with reference plane. Reference plane is then ground + ride height.

Note that if you use graphical offset or if your car body model is not set so that bottom of body (not chassis) is at 0 in 3d editor, it may result difference in appearance of car. Physics wise you might get correct level, but body is too low, too high etc.

Also note that in HDV if you set wheelbase and wheel track, then wheels are moved to those position and .pm file bars are adjusted to match those places. However it is better to make everything matching, in .pm and in hdv, makes life easier, imo.

.pm file is bit odd in there that it does not really fully reflect real bars, but more of bars that allow real motion of wheels, for example rear axle in that editor is just that small square grey box, reflecting position of center of rear axle, from that point you must imagine bars that extend directly to sides near to wheels, now if your axle is not at center of wheels it is assumed that there is solid construction between wheel and axle, but I think you should relocate rear axle to be at center of wheels and center of car.
    Maybe some of odd is because not everything is drawn exactly way it is as it would mask most of the view out having undertray to be such that all dots would be connected too.

How much information do you have about wheel angles and such? Kangaloosh car factory is something I mostly use to get suspension setup made, as I input just angles and measures and software gives me location of bars. For me at least trying to figure out resulting angles from all those bars is bit too much and those should be right to get correct handling, if bars are not right that is not important if just resulting angles and motion of wheels are correct in all situations.

Then after I get setup made with kangaloosh I might finetune things a bit, moving steering bars further or closer to wheel center affects greatly to feel of car and sometimes to get feel right such edit is needed. Also when there is no information from angles I have to try and replicate what I see from pics of underside of car, but resulting angles will be wrong then and it is real pain to get even somehow sensible.

If someone spots error, spit it out, as I told this is not my strongest area.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

thanks so much JTBO and Taufikp...

8. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

So can someone edit the Suspension editor to copy to clipboard whatever I am hovering over. and or can you add Ctrl F find option? t0o find the code in the text.