Please vote for rFactor (1) on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 9, 2014.

1. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

And some people are religious about their devotion to Steam, ignoring people having accounts hijacked, broken games, mods being removed by Steam.....
    All these things are real.

Try install the WTCC 2012/2013 mod for Race07 as an example.

You'll need the Vauxhall from the Andy Priaulx official DLC.

What's that? Steam has broken the DLC so it won't install? Ah well, guess you didn't want that mod anyway.....

Steam is great when it works. Valve couldn't care less when it doesn't.

2. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Nice move ISI - I hope it will be a big success and RF2 will follow :)

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

What time have I spent on rF1? How would you suggest that I get rF2 to that point, personally?

We need greenlight approval to LOOK AT what is needed, and we're having a third party doing that. ZERO time of ISI has been spent so far, other than my posting in the forum and being asked a few questions by the third party, and Gjon giving him source.

4. 88mphTim

I just don't understand why people think they're going to be shoved into the Church. Nobody has said anything about that, and did sort of ask people to be civil enough to not 'start a petition against it'.

5. 88mphTim

And would probably stop you buying rF1 there. OK. Any reason to force that upon others who don't seemingly have such issues? Start petitions against something that shouldn't affect you?

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow... so deep. So true. Applies to pretty much everything that exists. :D

7. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

You're jumping at shadows Tim.

I'm not starting a petition against anything, I don't have a dog in this fight (aka: I don't care what you do with rf1, genuinely)

Was just responding to those who accuse OTHERS who have (often legitimate) issues with Steam, of being some kind of zealots.
    Same crap that comes up everytime a game talks about going to Steam.

8. 88mphTim

A previous response mentioned petitions, that cast the shadow and was the reason for mentioning it.

9. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Well yes, a petition is an over-reaction, lol. :)

But in the case of Race07, I think Steam has completely wrecked the game twice for all users in the past, and now the DLC is completely broken, so mods that rely on it are also dead (unless you find the DLC via torrent).
    So there are genuine reasons for users to have concerns. They're not just anti-steam zealots.

I guess it's also up to the developer though to make sure they are on top of their game, and not just leave it to Valve.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

anything that helps bring in revenue can only be a good thing,

Ive never had a problem with steam

ISI are perhaps getting very little rf1 sales now, so putting it on steam & even paying steams high commission is better than close to nothing, even if theres only an initial "new to steam" sales at the begining

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I am of the same belief. More revenue for ISI will of course benefit us all in the long run.

Also I've never experienced any problems with Steam at all. I'm all for it. :)

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Possibly irrelevant but how does Steam and modding work for AC?

13. yusupov

yusupov Registered

this is false. assetto corsa is on steam & theres no interference.

as for 'needing to stop this'...yeah, id NEVER buy anything w/ DRM....oh, rf2 is drm?? %$^

14. yusupov

yusupov Registered

its a good question but it is irrelevant yeah. however someone else will have to answer your question ir2 multiplayer - i assumee files are checked & compared but dont know...either way dont see what the difference would be from how it is now.

the game is located in the steam directory, so your mods go there instead of c:\assetto corsa or w/e. you can't start the game with out going thru a launcher, tho there is offline mode. basically it will be exactly the same. if ISI thinks its good, we should think its good.

15. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

I think he wasn't referring to installing mods, but having separate installs of rf1 each with different mods.
    Steam only lets you have 1 game install location.
    For those of us with a license from the website, it's easy to do, but for those who will be running a Steam version of the .exe, they might not be able to do this.
    Has this been looked into at all?

edit - as in, will Steam buyers be able to download from the RF website too (thus having multiple installs)?

16. 88mphTim

This is where we need to find out what we can do (and you need greenlight before you can fully test the API etc). As stated before, with EVE, Steam is essentially a way of providing a purchase coupon and an installer, you don't need Steam again after purchase. If not, you could swap in and out whatver rf dir you want to run into the Steam dir for whatever install you want to run (like I do with one game). There's a solution for every point raised so far, with varying complexity, but we don't know what problems we'll have yet, if any. We wouldn't be the first dev to be greenlit and not use Steam afterwards, if we did that, getting greenlit, for us, is just a step in a process.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Way too early for these questions! Tim has already said ISI & 3rd party implementors aren't even to that stage in the Steam greenlighting process.

18. hammer666

hammer666 Registered

Suck it and see. Fair enough. :)

19. 88mphTim

Right now, yeah, pretty much. But for us mainly, not you as a customer. That's why we just need the votes.

20. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Can't be simplier, download the mod, usually archive containing files and/or foldera, extract them to defined folder, play the game. The mod itself doesn't get deleted with AC being updated. Although if there are major changes made with AC update, modder need to update his track, car, app, etc. Pretty much like now with RF2. Only you don't need Mod Manager, it's extracting to directory scheme.

As for modding itself, AC has released their editor tools which are located inside AC dev folder, and you run it directly through .exe file. Steam is not needed for anything in that field.